Here is an attempt to show what I have done on my skipjack. First a little background. I am a member of the " 8 Balls "subron .I was lucky enough to recieve the kit as well as a Merriman fittings kit as a Chrismas present . I started construction following the Merriman reports. During this time Both "Big Dave" and "Crazy Ivan" got theirs skipjack models operational with their own systems. I started by making my stern z cut where the Merriman reports showed. I also installed the bow brace and marked for the bow z cut. I held off making the bow cut until I had my BD uni 2.5 cylinder set in hand. It was good that I waited and I would have been wiser to wait untill I had the cylinder before starting any of the install. With a lot of guidance from BD I made my mounting system for the components.
I did not like how difficult it is to work inside the stern section of the hull. If I was to do it again I would move the stern z cut further back. I had a problem with one of the dive plane outer hinges being damaged. Both outer hinges were replaced with a brass hinge. That allowed me to remedy the access issues in the stern by making the stern a bolt together for future maintainence.. I moved the front z cut to split the merriman bulkhead, this allows the air tank to remain secred within the lower hull. I used air line Quick connects to avoid cutting lines for removal.
BD's uni 2.5 has worked perfectly in the test tank. The air pump section is captured in place by the bulkheads and a small cam prevents it from sliding out. Those bulkheads are bolted in so the air tank can be slid out for maintainence.The stern drive section has positioning tabs on the bulkheads and the drive unit is held down with the strapping system from MerrimanLastly the battery tube is from BD the battery dradle serves several purposes. It captures the battery end caps to help keep it together. It also aligns and holds the ballast air bag sleeve.
I made the sail planes operational as per their design however they are not hooked up to a servo. They are going to be static but adjustable. The sub is currently undergoing trimming and painting operations at this time