Man! You guys are GREAT! I really appreciate the input.
Sanding probably would have been worth trying Tom. Unfortunately, I couldn’t wait until this evening, so I carefully scraped them off with the tip of an Excato knife. I think it went pretty well.
If I hadn’t of had to scrape off some of these decals before (although it was before the Future) I would be bumming out, but the image below shows the last time I had to scrape off the numbers…
…And where the old numbers were is obvious, yet once I applied the Future it disappeared. The present “scars” look a bit more pronounced, but I think that is because I went through the Future this time. I’m hoping that when I spray it again with Future that it will go away. We will see. I have resigned myself to the fact that if it doesn’t, I will be sanding the sail and repainting it.
Like Travis, my friend that I am building the model for says, “Expectations diminish joy.” If I prepare for the worst, I won’t be disappointed. Also, like I have said before, modeling to me is a fun exercise in getting from point A, the starting point, to Point B, the desired Point. When I screw up, I just move my starting point to point C. It is still the same game, trying to get to the desired point B. Still, let’s hope we don’t go to point C.
Another issue I have is that my compressed air can is getting low. I would think that it would be really bad if I ran out part way through a coat, so I think I’m going to spring for a compressor. Harbor Freight has a 3 gallon, 100 psi oilless air compressor on sale for $49.99. I think I’m going to buy one.
Also, I think I will go ahead and put the numbers on where they belong before clear coating again. If I have to sand and repaint it, so be it. I will have plenty of decals. And I could use the practice.