Banner Ad 1

Announcing a Don Spielberger Seminar at SubRegatta 2013!!

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Announcing a Don Spielberger Seminar at SubRegatta 2013!!

Postby Thor » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:02 pm

I would like to announce that Fiberglass Master, Don Spielberger, will be sharing his wisdom in a seminar at SubRegatta 2013!!! Don will share his expertise at constructing a proper molds and laminating a hull from the created molds. If you needed a reason to attend, this would be it!
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Re: Announcing a Dave Welch Seminar at SubRegatta 2013!!

Postby Bigdave » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:29 pm

Well! :roll:
Matt and I got our signals crossed. :lol:
Actually the demonstration will be put on by Don Spielberger from Loyalhannadockyard .
He is the master of fiberglass and will be showing how to mold a hull.
He will actually be laying up a hull at the show.
I have seen this done by Don and it is a very interesting demonstration. BD.

But thanks for the buildup Matt.
:oops: :oops: :oops: I am blushing. LOL
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Re: Announcing a Don Spielberger Seminar at SubRegatta 2013!!

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:43 pm

What? You mean there isn't going to be BD seminar!?!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:12 pm

Maybe if we beg loud enough!
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby lhdockyard1 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:15 am

Thanks for the compliment although I don't know that I deserve the title of fiberglass master. Anyhow the plan is to do a demonstration under the tent so that there is plenty of air so the fumes don't bother anybody. As long as it is not raining we will be good to go. I plan to bring 3 molds along so that I can show every stage of the process of laying up a hull I will apply the mold release and cure it in the first mold (as long as we have enough electrical power to run the compressor and heat gun). In case we don't have sufficient power to run the compressor or heat gun I will bring a second mold along that already has the mold release in and cured. This one I will put the gel coat in. The third mold will have the gel coat in a cured already and I will lay up a hull. If all goes according to plan Sunday morning that hull will be cured and I will be able to pull it from the mold to show that process as well.

If this goes well and there are no complications to working outside ( I am used to working in my dedicated fiberglass shop where everything you could possibly need is within a few feet and right where I left it) then maybe we can do one on creating the mold next year.

Thank Big Dave and the Subron 8 crew for talking me into doing this. I think it will be a fun time. I know when I did the same demonstration for the Subron 8 gang a few years ago they found it interesting.

Don Spielberger
Loyalhanna Dockyard
lhdockyard1
SubCommittee Member

Postby crowman17 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:17 am

Sounds really interesing to hear and see how the process is done.

Marc
crowman17
SubCommittee Member

Postby Genester » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:29 am

Please - Please tell me there will be a video later for us whom cannot make it!!???!!
I have been a member for years and am now designing my own version of a stealth USS Texas (What else!)
Genester

Postby salmon » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:46 am

Genester wrote:Please - Please tell me there will be a video later for us whom cannot make it!!???!!

I second that suggestion. A video could enhance our paid membership side of the S.C. website as a resource. This is if someone would video it and if Don was o.k. with it (or any presenter) what do you think?
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:53 am

I agree. That is a most excellent suggestion! I'm sure Don would be more than OK with it. He bends over backwards to support this hobby. I will see if Kerry Addington would be willing to film this. He works in the field of Film & TV and is extremely gifted. If you've seen his excellent SubRegatta DVDs then you know what I mean.

I have heard that Skip Asay may be attending the Regatta as well. If you want a real treat, get over there and meet Skip. You won't find a better man in the hobby and he is an unending resource of technical information on everything model submarine!

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:02 pm

If you want a demonstration on changing a flat tire (land prop replacement) let me know.
Fun with fiberglass sounds great!
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby lhdockyard1 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:40 pm

Hey All
Some further thoughts now that I have been home for a solid week and have had time to think.

First, if anybody that will be attending the demonstration needs small quantities of cloth, mat or other materials that I have in the shop let me know and I can probaby bring them along and get them to you at a really good price. I know that many times the shipping can cost as much if not more for small quantities than the material itsself. Most of what I use in the shop I purchase in bulk for better pricing so I have a extra available if needed.

Also, if anybody has projects that are held up for lack of molds, production abilities or whatever please feel free to talk to me about these projects as I can probably help. I do production work for other companies and make molds on speculation and request. Whatever it takes to move this hobby forward and keep it gowing. I can make molds or do production work if needed. As little as 1 molding or as much as you want. Not many places left willing to do small runs anymore. I can even repair existing molds so let me know how I can help out.

JUst some random thoughts for this week.

Don
Loyalhanna Dockyard
lhdockyard1
SubCommittee Member

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas