Banner Ad 1

Sub Radios??

Midwest US Local Chapter - Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, and Wisconsin.

Sub Radios??

Postby gawnefishing » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:18 pm

I am building the robbe U-47. My problem is the radio I have is an old Futaba 6 ch. 72Mhz. The local hobby store (200mi round trip) told me that I need to find a 75Mhz or get my Futaba re-tuned to the 75 band. My son, who's into planes told me to use the Spektrum brand radio. But the only radio I can find on the internet is the 3 channel type that is used for cars & trucks. And I need / want a 5-6 channel stick radio. I seen in other sub driver's pictures the stick type radio. So my question is, what brand, type of radio do I need for a diving sub. And where do I find them? I am kind of at a wall here, as far as I know I am the only Sub "nut" in this part of north-eastern Michigan. Thanks, Matt
gawnefishing

Re: Sub Radios??

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi Matt,

Welcome to r/c submarines!

It's unfortunate, but using a 2.4GHz radio isn't an option since radio waves at that frequency cannot penetrate water.

If your 6-channel Futaba is in good shape and you like it....you may wish to consider having someone like Radio South tune it to 75MHz. If you don't prefer that, then you'll need to find a vendor that has some 75MHz radios on hand.

-hope this helps,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Giovanni » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Tony at Radio South does great work. You will need to send with the radio a 75MHz transmitter and a receiver . He can also not only add this but also a 2.4 GHz transmitter and reciever with a 3-position locking toggle switch.
This will let you use everything, land, sea and air.
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Alexander Engel 1/48th scale Gato
Graupner MC-19 radio converted to 75MHZ

"Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real." — Jules Verne
Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Postby gawnefishing » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:22 pm

Thanks Jeff & Giovanni, I'll give Tony a call sometime this week. Gawnefishing/ Matt
gawnefishing

Postby gawnefishing » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:24 pm

:x Well I still have a problem with my Futaba 6 channel radio. I did send it to Tony at radio south, he stated that everything worked ok after the re-tune and the addition of a three way switch.
When I tried to set-up my Viper sub10 ESC in the sub I was getting a no receiver signal indicator on the ESC and allot of servo glitches / chatters. Also had a no signal indicator on the ballast tank switch.
I took the sub & radio to the local hobby store (200 miles round trip) and the owner of the store & I worked for about 3 hours on the boat. And He stated that the futaba receiver is not working and the transmitter is causing the servo glitches.
He tested the servos with a spektrum receiver and my DX5e transmitter that I brought along. And the servos worked like they were suppose to with no problems. The only thing that we couldn't test was my engel ballast tank (no three way switch).
I know that I can't use a spekrum radio in the boat, but I am about at my ropes end after spending over $1,200. on kit, with parts & pieces just to have a static model. I am a "old school" modeler this "new" stiff is driving me nuts. I need help, I am in the lower, upper east side of Michigan, and from what I can tell I am the only "sub nut" around here.
If anybody has a working 6 channel radio for a sub with a three way switch that they don't want anymore PLEASE contact me. Or someone Please tell me what I need to make my 20 year old Futaba 6, that is now a 75mhz "paper weight" work for my boat.
And yes I am going to contact Tony at radio south about the radio fix that he did for me.

Thanks, Any help is better than no help.
GawneFishing.......Matt
gawnefishing

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:43 pm

Matt,

A couple of things come to mind as possible 'sanity check' items:

The first is the state of your battery power. Are you using the same battery to both run the ESC and to power the receiver or are you using a separate receiver battery? If you are using two batteries, did you remove the positive pin from the ESC's receiver cable? And are you certain that the battery is charged?

The second is to ask if you might have a 2nd 75MHz receiver that you can try to see if the problem persists with the different receiver.

Lastly, what happens if you only connect the receiver to the servos and not to the ballast tank switch? Do the servos still act up?

-let us know, we'll help figure something out.

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby gawnefishing » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:05 pm

Jeff,

I only have one main battery in the boat to power everything in the boat, a 6 volt 10000ma 5 cell Nimh. & yes it's charged. On a second receiver I don't know I'd have to look. We couldn't get the ballast tank to work as it also showed a no signal light. And the servos only acted up with my futaba tx. The receiver didn't appear to be working at all.

Matt
gawnefishing

Postby gawnefishing » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:19 pm

Just looked no extra receivers.
gawnefishing

Postby salmon » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:54 am

You say it is a 20 year old Futaba, I wonder if that could be an issue? My old Futaba (FP-T6FN) is a TX that does not support FM-PPM and my newer RX needed it. Some components are designed specifically for the newer transmission types. Just throwing a guess out there.
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Return to SubRon6