Banner Ad 1

Ballast tank questions

R/C Submarine modelers

Re: Ballast tank questions

Postby Sub culture » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:07 pm

That's a major thread hijack, Giovanni. Please start a new thread if you want to know about the Type 23, it's really not relevant to this thread.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:22 pm

In regards to Steve's book, it's a very good resource for those contemplating building their own hull, but is very basic when it comes to the nitty gritty of ballast systems, weight distribution, dimensioning hull seals etc. For a more detailed analysis you really Norberts Book (which BTW does not cover any real building methods, so the two books compliment one another well).

The book is not an easy read at all, because there is a fair amount of jargon to cut through, and it's technical. But then subs aren't easy- especially if you're scratchbuilding.

I agree too that the electronic circuits are now very dated, and not worth building, as commercial devices are far superior. When the book was first published that wasn't the case. However the book is worth buying just for the other chapters alone.

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Oddwired » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:39 am

Thanks again for the replys' everyone i will heed everyones advice and make a downsized version just to get my head around the basics.

I did already have a look through the submarines for dumb***s book, I’ll certainly keep it in mind when building the outer hull but I didn't find much in it for tank and module building but i'll keep it around and will have a shop around for Norberts Book too.

As for specific questions can anyone give me a rough idea of what is a more sensible length of pipe for tank size if I’m using the 4 inch diameter pipe, are there rough guidelines for size of sub vs size of tank?

Otherwise for everything else I think I’m just going to have a bit of a search round the forums for a while before pushing ahead.
Oddwired

Postby Sub culture » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:22 am

Ballast tank volumes differ depending on the boat you're building, desired waterline and its method of construction.

You're approaching this problem from the wrong direction, first you need to build your boat, then size the tank using empirical methods. Trying to calculate it in advance is futile. Only a very simple shape can be calculated in advance and then that is assuming the hull has no free flooding area's.

How are you planning to make the hull? My advice to you would be to seek out a good secondhand fibreglass hull, or purchase one of the plastic kits I mentioned earlier, and concentrate on fitting that out with a dive module of your own construction.

Building a master and moulding it from scratch is long winded process, and not to be undertaken lightly. personally I would tackle that as a second project, as getting something going quicker will help maintain your enthusiasm.

Traplet is the best and cheapest place to get Norbert's book. The other sub publications are worth getting too.

http://www.trapletshop.com/gb/p/11343/m ... rt-bruggen

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to R/C Modeler