Banner Ad 1

Help identifying hull holes

Place for general submarine conversation

Help identifying hull holes

Postby JimDavis » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:41 pm

Good day all
I am currently working on a 1/48 scale IJN I-19 sub, I have the propulsion worked out as I am using the WTC from my Surcouf form OTW to power her and run ballast control. I am in the process of cutting the free flow holes in the hull and ran into a set in a semi circle just aft of the forward torpedo tubes and if memory serves me right were these hydrophones and do they get cut out if you cut them out how do you finish them in the end.

I will post some photos of the build this week. I was going to sell her but just could not bring my self to do it as the parts I have are not replaceable so I will have to make a crane to lift her out of the water if I am by my self (bad back).

I have come up with a design to make the diving planes forward retract into the hull as the real sub, but I have no clue how to make working torpedoes as I have a ton of room in the bow . question is it really worth the time and money? how are the torpedoes propelled, compressed gas. is there a good article published by a member to shed light on this.

At just over 7 feet with no deck and just the wtc I had to add around 5 lbs of lead to get her to sink with 3/4 tank of water so I am impressed.

I will start a thread as I get the holes all drilled.

Thank all who read and answer some of my questions. This is Sub #2 as the Surcouf was #1 and she works fine I just need to paint her after fixing my oops cutting the free flood holes

More later
Jim
JimDavis

Re: Help identifying hull holes

Postby Bob the Builder » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:07 pm

Jim,

Great to see progress on this. I will be watching, for sure!

32nd Parallel had a system for torps worked out. You can see my attempt on my 32nd scale Type XXIII project. Basically you fill the torp with compressed gas and pop it off its mounting block. Make sure you pinch the orifice or you'll get a missile and not a torpedo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJSDxh2n3fc

These would be big for your 48th scale boat, but you get the idea...
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bruce Martin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:27 pm

Jim
I have the I-19 and have it working for around 7 years , the holes in the bow , I drilled and filed them , I guess I did not do enough research to see if they were for any particular purpose, I just used them for flood holes. Mine has approx 7 lbs of lead. Will your bow plane retraction system bring the planes all the way in our 3/4 of the way in ? I have 2 dedicated WTC's and a ballast tank on a gas system. :D
Bruce Martin
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:14 pm

JimDavis wrote:Good day all
I am currently working on a 1/48 scale IJN I-19 sub, I have the propulsion worked out as I am using the WTC from my Surcouf form OTW to power her and run ballast control. I am in the process of cutting the free flow holes in the hull and ran into a set in a semi circle just aft of the forward torpedo tubes and if memory serves me right were these hydrophones and do they get cut out if you cut them out how do you finish them in the end.

Assuming that the IJN hydrophones were done in the same manner as the Kriegsmarine, then each of those circles represents an individual hydrophone, with each being a replaceable sound head that was fitted flush with the hull. So from a modeling perspective, all that is really required is to paint each circle in a different color that the hull...perhaps some sort of dark metallic color.

-hope this makes sense,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby JimDavis » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:41 pm

Thanks for the reply and advice, my design for the planes is just on paper right now, but I will make a full size test stand before I install in the hull.and post what I have if it works I hope some one else will be able to use it. I have a mill and lathe and very little experience, but I was an electrician for 35 years and know how to make things work . my idea is to have a running thread that will move the planes in and out on a cam hooked to the servo for the bow plane. I need to find a small waterproof motor or I will have to move the motor into the WTC. I have put a lot of thought into this so this will be the first hurdle. I just found out today I have to have a major back surgery on July 10th so I will be down for at least 6 weeks then a year to heal. This will be number 5 and my last. I built the Surcouf last 2 years and she works, but I need to put the finishing touches on her and if this retract works I will install it in her also. I had planed on selling this hull but the more I looked at it the more I wanted to build it. remember I am not a fast builder, but I will keep you informed as I progress and my long goal is to drive out east to one of your meets . I grew up in Dayton OH, but moved to California 35 years ago. I am sure I will need guidance along the way and from watching the forums there are a lot of good guys with the answers. well off to the shop to do some more cutting and start the retract system.
I will start a build thread and keep all comments there
thanks
all
Jim
JimDavis

Return to General