Banner Ad 1

USS Greenling (SSN-614) Scratchbuild

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: USS Greenling (SSN-614) Scratchbuild

Postby rdutnell » Sat May 25, 2013 9:02 pm

UPDATE 63

Hi Everybody!

I’m having a great day watching old submarine movies, including “Run Silent, Run Deep”, “Up Periscope” and “Operation Pacific”. There have been a lot of good shots of fleet boats. I have also been playing with the Greenling model.

Based on the comments received from Tom and SSNJim I decided to go ahead and mask and spray for the final touch-ups. Since I still have to put the fairings on the top side, I masked it in preparation for painting the bottom, but will not paint it until the fairings are attached to minimize handling after painting.

Also, the other day I went by the School of Architecture model shop and found a good scrap piece of wood (that I think is black walnut) to use for the base, which I intend to design similar to the plastic one from Essex that I have been using.

The block of wood is 9.65” x 8.75” x 1.75”. In the following images, I show the process I plan to use to make the base. Starting with the block…

…I will first cut it half in the long direction…

…Then glue the two pieces together.

After allowing the glue to dry, I will then drill a 3” hole through the center of it.

I only want the stand to be 1.5” tall, so the next step will be to cut it to size. Because I plan to, at some point, make the detailed model too, I will make two of them.

I will then cut the sides at a 70 degree angle, and after sanding and painting with MinWax Polycrylic apply a 1/16” thick piece of felt to both bases.

I will then go to the local trophy store and have a couple of plaques made. I’ll make the plaques for the detailed model when I get to build it. As I said in a previous post, I do not intend to mount the boat to the stand so that it can be picked up and held.

I should have some time to start on it tomorrow. Other than that, it’s time to do some more on Batfish.
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Wed May 29, 2013 5:48 pm

Hi guys,

I haven’t made any progress on the model or the base, so I don’t have anything to update, but I do have some good news for the future of the detailed model. Pavel, of Admiralty Models contact me about doing some CAD work for him, so I am going to do it in exchange for him printing my parts. Good deal!!!

My first project is a Goalkeeper CIWS. If you are interested, I am keeping a build log at: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/vi ... 7&t=152674

CHEERS!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:56 pm

UPDATE 64

Hello Everybody!

I don’t have a lot of progress to report, but I completed the Goalkeeper (click on image below to see it rotate), and I sent the STL file to Pavel this morning.

He has told me that he has printed the parts I sent, which include the nose section of the hull, the sail and the snorkel inductor, and that he will ship them tomorrow. YEAAAHHH!!!

When I talked to him he said that the “mast” came out good. He must have been talking about the snorkel inductor, because that is the only mast like object I sent him. If that is the case, I’m in luck, because that is about as small as it gets, and if his printer can print it good, the rest of the model should be a snap. He also printed the RAM launcher (on him because he is interested in it too) and may end up swapping more printing time for it as well. This is good news.

Not so good news from 3Dimensions. The last word I had, which was last Tuesday, was that their computer had crashed. They said that they would let me know when the parts were printed so I am assuming the fact that I haven’t heard anything means that they haven’t printed yet. Bummer!!!

Anyway, I was contemplating what to do next, and was looking at the Woodlands Scenics Dry Transfer Decals that I picked up the other day. I ordered them for the ship numbers, but the sheet also has decals that could be used for the draft numbers.

Do you guys have experience with these? I was thinking that, since they are rub-ons and don’t have a border, they could be applied after the last coat of paint, before the Future. Would that be OK, or should I go ahead and apply the Future first?

And for the little draft numbers, how difficult is it to apply them straight? It seems to me that this is the tricky part, because unlike slide-ons, when they on they are on.

CHEERS!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:37 pm

Hi Rdutnell,
The Goalkeeper looks great! Any thoughts on adding some pins on either side of
the barrel assembly to allow it to elevate and maybe a pin into the base to allow
rotation of the gun on its base? Somebody like me is bound to come along and
try to move these points.

I have no idea on the rub-on decals. Practice on a test subject is all I can think of.

Scott T
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:12 pm

Hey Thanks Scott!

Is a matter of fact, I did think about making it moveable, but I am not sure what Pavel’s plans are. I think he intends to use it to make a cast for making them out of resin. In any event, as of this writing, he has not reviewed the part carefully. He liked it at first glance, but we’ll see what he thinks about it after a more thorough going over. I will tell him about your suggestion. And practice, ah, what a concept!? Another good idea!

CHEERS!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:17 pm

Nice to watch this come together. You are doing great! Thank you! but, did you mean to post this under the USS Greenling WIP?
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:29 pm

:oops:
Doh!

No I didn't. That's what I get for doing things when I'm tired.

Thanks for pointing it out to me. I wonder if I can remove it.
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:28 pm

If you are wondering what the heck that was all about, I accidentally posted 2 posts that were for Batfish on this thread. I couldn't remove them, but Ronald removed them for me. Now, they are in the correct spot.

:P
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:02 pm

The fairings are printed and paid for. I should have them by the end of the week.
:D
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:39 pm

The Fairings are in.

:P :D :) :mrgreen:
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:45 am

UPDATE 65

Like I said guys the fairings, and the other parts I ordered are in, and I couldn’t be happier. :)

The parts came out great, so I finally have confirmation that the detailing that I have been doing can be printed. The fairings, the last parts I need to complete my first 3D printed model are in house, so you can guess what I will be doing this weekend.

Note how tiny they are in comparison to the penny. This is why Shapeways couldn’t print them, but as you can see Click2Detail printed them quite nicely. Also note that they sent me 2 GNATS Radar Jammer Fairings for some reason. Anybody need a 1/144 GNATS fairing? :)

Tomorrow (um, later today) they will get a couple of coats of paint and find their homes on the ship’s deck.

I am also really thrilled with the way the other parts I had printed came out too. You may recall that, in addition to the fairings, I had them print the detailed sail, sail plane, snorkel inductor, periscopes and antenna. As you can see, the detailing on the sail came out great, and it is everything that I had hoped it would be.

And the periscopes, snorkel inductor and antenna just blow me away. They are soooooo tiny, and still they are nicely detailed. I was almost afraid to get them out of the cardboard backed zip-lock because they look so fragile, but I was able to handle them and stick them in some Blue Stik to take pictures without any problem. Painting them and getting them in the sail might be another matter. We shall see.

In case you didn’t know, I AM STOKED!!!

CHEERS!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:21 am

That is fantastic and the details came out. Look forward to seeing what a little paint will do.
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby raalst » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:41 am

beautiful !
I'm amazed how much details remain clearly visible once printed.
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:49 pm

UPDATE 66

Greetings Everybody!

I’m as amazed as you are that the detail came out as good as it did, and was just as anxious to see it painted, but after giving it a little thought, I decided that I would put the various masts on the sail before I painted it. When I started, the first thing I discovered was that none of the “masts” would fit in the holes “drilled” for them. The holes seemed to have shrunk a bit and the masts seem to have swollen. In hindsight, I could have drilled the holes out deeper, since I do have a micro-drill set. Instead I opted to cut them to the correct length because I could force them into the holes far enough to glue them. I started by cutting the snorkel inductor with a razor saw at the proper height, which went smoothly and the material cut nicely and didn’t break. I then test cut the piece I had cut off with fingernail clippers and they cut nicely, so I used a combination of the saw and clippers to cut the remaining masts. I then stuck them in their respective holes and glued them using super glue, which worked great. The sail planes were attached using a piece of a paper clip and are moveable.

After putting it together, I gave it one coat of black Rust-Oleum Flat Protective Enamel, opting to skip the primer. The results were very satisfying, to say the least.

I also painted the fairings that I will be putting on the model tonight or tomorrow morning.

CHEERS!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:00 pm

That is amazing when you see the detail you have and see the size comparison with the quarter.
Great job.

Posted a image of your work at nautilussubmarine.com.
Hope you don't mind. :?

"Click2detail printed the sail below. The scopes were printed seperate and glued on.
Not my work. Presented at Subcommittee.com by rdutnell."
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads