Banner Ad 1

LiPo Question

R/C Submarine modelers

LiPo Question

Postby Chuck Chesney » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:49 am

Hi guys,
I've been running model subs since the late 1970's, starting with an Engles "Patrick Henry" from around 1979 or '80, which I still run (it still runs great), which was converted to a wet hull, WTC, configuration many moons ago. During the years, I have gone through various battery technologies, from Lead/acid gel cells, to Nicads, to the Nimh packs that I currently use. Recently I purchased a Mobius Skipjack kit, and need to power it with a light, yet dense, power supply...namely Li po's. I am an absolute rookie regarding Li po's, and want to ask for your help. What brand names have you fellows found to be good, reliable, and competitively priced? I would like to stay with the 3 cell configuration (I think) unless you folks with experience with Li po's think that a 2 cell would be better. My Skipjack will be running a geared brushed motor, which I will purchase to fit the corresponding voltage from the battery.
I live up here in the hinterlands of Idaho, with no hobby shops for many miles, therefore I rely on the Tower Hobbies mail order system for most of my model needs. Any Li po that I can get from Tower would be the best.
Also, I have an older (5 year) Triton charger, which doesn't have balancing outputs, so a suggestion on a charger will also be welcomed. I don't want to break the bank buying a new charger, a basic model with balancing outputs will fill the bill nicely.
Thanks for any responses.
Chuck
Chuck

"The Japanese solders would die for the Emperor, which made them formidable. The U.S. Marines would die for each other, which made them invinceable"...Iwo Jima
Chuck Chesney

Re: LiPo Question

Postby Giovanni » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:45 pm

I have used these high-quality batteries.
My preference is Hyperion batteries and charging systems.
I learned a long time ago to not buy cheap batteries unless you like some special effects onboard your vessel!
I used to own a Triton charger. I liked using it with an external balancer device, so no need to break the bank.

http://www.allerc.com

http://thunderpowerrc.com/

http://hyperion-world.com/products/
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Alexander Engel 1/48th scale Gato
Graupner MC-19 radio converted to 75MHZ

"Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real." — Jules Verne
Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:51 pm

No real advantage in running a higher cell count, unless you have some high quality motors you wish to use, which tend to be higher voltage, usually.

On 2-cell, the BEC has less voltage to drop for the receiver and servos, so works cooler and more efficiently. Plus 2S is generally a bit cheaper.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Chuck Chesney » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:34 pm

Many thanks to both of you, Andy and Giovanni.
As usual Andy, your advice is right on the money, and loaded with common sense, as well as first class experience.
Giovanni, you're so right about avoiding cheapo batteries. You get what you pay for, and a model sub is no place for an explosion or fire.
As a result of your inputs, I'll go with a two cell Thunderpower set-up.
Thanks again to both of you,
Chuck

ps,
Giovanni,years ago, when I was a student at the University of California in Berkeley, I worked in Alameda, at the Naval Air Rework Facility. You live in a beautiful, delightful, town. And Andy....London (and all of the UK) are among my very favorite places in the world to visit. Love the Brits..
Chuck

"The Japanese solders would die for the Emperor, which made them formidable. The U.S. Marines would die for each other, which made them invinceable"...Iwo Jima
Chuck Chesney

Postby Giovanni » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:14 pm

Chuck,
My shop is on the base, right in front of the Artemus sailboat docks.
I love this place. Close to the casting ponds in Golden Gate Park, too.
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Alexander Engel 1/48th scale Gato
Graupner MC-19 radio converted to 75MHZ

"Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real." — Jules Verne
Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler