I decided to look into how I wanted to do the search light, just aft of the shears.
My original thought was to only build the post and buy an after-market search light. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a 1/144 scale search light. I found both 12” and 24” lights in 1/350, but none in 1/144, so I decided to try to build the whole thing. Due to the scale, I couldn’t include some of the features, but tried to match the photos as much as possible. I started with a 6” (0.04” at 1/144 scale) square…
…Rounded the corners…
…And extruded it.
I then drew a slightly smaller circle on the top of the extruded shape and extruded it up a bit.
Next I started the lower plate by drawing a circle…
…Which I then extruded.
Next I made the flanges for the bottom, which I did by first drawing a triangular shaped polyline in the center of the port face of the post, moved it slightly to the side, mirrored it and lofted it.
Then I rotate/copied it to the aft and starboard sides of the post.
After this, I added the top plate which was created with two circles of different sizes and lines tangent to them. After trimming and joining, the shape was extruded.
Next I extruded a circle up from the bottom plate through the top plate and past the top part of the plate slightly,…
…joined everything together and recolored it. Note that even though the post is colored the same as the rest of the model, I DID NOT attach it to the rest of the shears.
After making the nut seen on the bottom, I made the bracket between the plates. It is not exactly like the photos, but it gives the basic shape.
Next I made the searchlight itself, which is 12” (0.083” at 1/144 scale) in diameter, the support arms, and the searchlight light lens…
I then joined everything and recolored all but the lens that I left yellow for effect.
With the search light completed, I decided to make the guard rails, which I did by first drawing two circles with the correct diameters and vertical position. This was a trial an error process using the photos for reference. I then drew a 2” (0.014” at 1/144 scale) diameter circle on the lower circle, rotated it 90 degrees and extruded it using the circle for the path.
I did the same for the top circle, and the (somewhat) vertical supports bars. The photos also show two vertical pipes extending from the lower bar, so I added these as well (yellow).
The ends of the top rails don’t tie in to the shear, and instead bend down to connect with the lower bar, so I trimmed the top rail, and added a sphere to provide a smooth transition from the horizontal bar to the (somewhat) vertical bar.
I next added collars to the vertical pipes and joined everything together. I suspect that this part, like others before, will not be printed, but instead will be added during construction, so I am leaving it red.
I believe that this concludes the detailing on the shears, unless you guys see something I should add or change. If so, let me know and I will add it or redo it as required.
Happy Memorial Day!