Banner Ad 1

USS Greenling (SSN-614) Scratchbuild

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: USS Greenling (SSN-614) Scratchbuild

Postby rdutnell » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:30 am

UPDATE 45

Hello Again Everybody!

I know it’s been a while since I have provided an update on this project, but that is because there hasn’t been anything to report. Since I don’t even have all of the parts yet, there has been no great rush to proceed. I am going to St. Louis the first of May and will bring them home with me then.
I still haven’t decided what detailing I am going to do to this first model, if any, but I decided that whatever I decide, it won’t hurt to get the basic hull squared away, so I took Tom D’s advice, abandoned the "Fast Cracking White Putty” and bought some Bondo Glazing Putty to fill the seams. Taking more of Tom D’s advice, I started by masking off the areas around the seams, including those around the sail, with masking tape.

I then applied the glazing putty using the thick end of a chop stick.

After letting it dry a day, I removed the masking tape.

Tom used wet sanding on a 1/350 scale Chinese SSN model with 400, 600 & 1000 grade sand paper. I have never tried wet sanding and the only grades of sandpaper I have are 100, 150, and 220 , so over the next week I dry sanded it as time allowed.

The Tamiya light gray primer I had was not spraying properly, so I had to get more. Rather than go with Tamiya again, I decided to try something different, so I went to Lowes’ and bought a can of Rust-Oleum automobile primer. I applied one coat yesterday and another coat this afternoon. I must say that I really like the way the Rust-Oleum goes on, and in the future will use this over Tamiya every time.

Parts of it look really good, but as you can see in some of the pictures below, I have more work to do, especially on the underside. I think that a little more putty, sanding and a couple more coats of primer will do the trick.

With regards to scribing, I was wondering if I could use thick tape, to define the lines I want to scribe, like the anti-skid line. I could then use steel templates that I still have from my undergraduate days when I was the only draftsman in the College of Engineering, using ink on Mylar to prepare various drawings for the faculty, to assist in scribing the lines with a sharp exacto blade.

On another note, I decided to see if Shapeways can make the two fairings Greenling had, so I sliced them off of the detailed hull parts they were on and added posts. I haven’t had any luck yet with Shapeways, but these parts aren’t nearly as detailed, nor as small as the parts that I have tried to have them print before. You can select different materials and I chose “Frosted Ultra Detail”. If they can print them, it will cost $16.99 with shipping, which is a little high, but aren’t all models, model accessories and supplies these days.

I will let you know if they can print them, and keep you posted on any further progress. In the meantime, if anybody has suggestions on what colors and brands of paint I should use, I would appreciate hearing them. I would prefer to use rattle cans, but can brush it on if that’s the form that the best color choice comes in.

CHEERS!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tom Dougherty » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:23 am

Tom used wet sanding on a 1/350 scale Chinese SSN model with 400, 600 & 1000 grade sand paper. I have never tried wet sanding and the only grades of sandpaper I have are 100, 150, and 220 , so over the next week I dry sanded it as time allowed.

If you go to an auto supply store, they will have the finer grades of sandpaper, often up to 1200. You wet the paper (it is made to be used that way) and it allows you to very smoothly blend in the body putty. I can still see the putty on your hull at this point. Also sand at a 45 degree angle to the axis of the hull, otherwise you will get flat spots.
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:53 am

Ahhh, OK. I had heard about wet sanding, but don’t recall ever seeing wet sanding paper before. I will definitely be getting some and using it when I redo it. Thanks for the info, including the bit about sanding at 45 degrees.

With regards to the parts I sent to Shapeways for printing, I have received notice that the parts passed the next level. No part I have submitted has ever made it this far, so it is really encouraging, but the parts have still not been shipped. The current estimated ship date is May 2.
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Mon May 13, 2013 1:39 pm

UPDATE 46

Hello Everybody,
It’s been a while, but I finally have some news to report.

After my last post, I made the Mushroom anchor and sent it to Shapeways for printing.

As it turns out, this is the only part that Shapeways has actually been able to make for me. I was told the fairings were too small.

In hindsight, I probably shouldn’t have put the post on it, because now I have to either drill a hole in the hull or cut off the post. I don’t know which one would be easier. Oh well, I have some time to think about it.

Also, I made a trip to St. Louis and got to see the shop that the parts were made in. Unfortunately, my buddy didn’t want to go on Friday (I think he might have taken sick leave and didn’t want to be seen. :o) ), so I didn’t get to meet, or talk to, the guy that made the parts, but I did see their shop and testing labs, which was really cool. I also picked up the missing rudder and spare screws that he made for me. When I got home, I gave them a coat of primer. As you can see the rudders and dunce cap look pretty good, but the screws and dive planes need some work.

I also applied another round of glazing putty to better hide the seams.

As you can see, I also applied the putty to the top surface of the sail planes to see if I can remove the “wood grains”

I let it dry overnight, and removed the tape.

Next is more sanding and a coat or two more primer. I hope to get to that later today.
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Tue May 14, 2013 8:10 pm

UPDATE 47

Well, between Honey-do’s and feeling puny yesterday, I didn’t get any more accomplished yesterday, but I did today. I started by wet sanding the putty spots smooth with the hull using 400 grain sandpaper.

I then gave it two coats of Rust-Oleum grey primer, wet sanding between coats.

The Bondo glazing putty worked well on the sail and sail planes, so I applied it to the dive planes and decided to try it on one of the screws as well.

After wet sanding them and applying two coats of primer, again wet sanding between coats, I think that the results are encouraging.

The rudders are ready to be painted. The dive planes need probably one more coat and the screw needs two with more sanding. The good news is that it is more durable than I thought it would be and I am able to sand it without breaking it, although I am being careful not to apply too much pressure. The last thing I did was sand off the stud on the mushroom anchor and give it a coat of primer.

Now I’m goingto glue it to the hull.

CHEERS!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Tue May 14, 2013 9:50 pm

UPDATE 48

I did in fact glue the Mushroom Anchor to the hull.

I think next I am going to mask the hull off in preparation for painting the bottom.

CHEERS!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Wed May 15, 2013 10:10 am

UPDATE 49

Good Morning All!

I had a little change of plans about painting the hull. The only Red Oxide I could find locally was a “Sandable Primer” by Dupli-Color. Because the top, being flat black will easily paint over the red oxide primer, I decided to coat the entire hull with the red oxide, then mask off the bottom to paint the top. The pictures below show it after 2 coats.

Being somewhat new to modeling, it amazes me how the seam lines, not visible with the gray primer, suddenly appeared with the red oxide. A third coat is currently drying.

More later…
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Wed May 15, 2013 8:45 pm

UPDATE 50

I applied two more coats of red oxide to the hull, with the last coat focusing on the lower half. I also applied two coats to the rudders and dive planes, and another coat of gray to the screw.

CHEERS!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Thu May 16, 2013 3:37 am

UPDATE 51

The next thing I did was sand the screw and dunce cap and paint them using Testor’s Metallic Gold Enamel.

I’m fairly happy with the way the screw turned out. It may be slightly bulbous on the ends of some of the blades, but I think I can live with it. If I decide I can’t, I still have 2 spares to play with. Out of curiosity I dry fit the screw and dunce cap to the hull to see what it looks like.

I think it looks pretty cool , although the effect is diminished somewhat by the masking tape I have applied in preparation for painting the upper hull later today.

CHEERS!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tom Dougherty » Thu May 16, 2013 3:39 pm

This has really been fun to watch the process!! You have been really doing some interesting pioneering in building an entire model with 3D printing

Tom
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Thu May 16, 2013 8:52 pm

UPDATE 52

I am glad to hear that you have had fun with this project too Tom. Who would have guessed last November when you sent me the Permit plans that they would have led us (you, me, Tom, Scott, and everyone else who has provided comments or perhaps followed in silence) down this path?

In the latest step down that path, I sprayed the first coat of flat black on the top of the hull and dive planes and one of the rudders.

The hull has been wet sanded, another coat has been applied, and it is currently drying outside. Stay tuned…
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Fri May 17, 2013 1:24 am

UPDATE 53

Well, the second coat has dried…

…And it looks like I’m not quite done yet. I’m having trouble getting rid of the uneven surfaces on the sail planes and on the hull at the base of the sail, probably because I didn’t do a very good job applying the putty. Anyway, the pictures are before sanding, and it looks better after sanding. One more coat should get it. I’ll spray it again in the morning, and if need be again in the afternoon.

You perhaps noticed that the model was sitting on a stand in the latest pictures. It is the stand that came with the 1/350 USS Essex kit, that I am converting to USS Bennington (or was until I got obsessed with AutoCad modeling) but will not need because I am putting her in water. The stand is very similar to what I was envisioning, but made nicely out of wood, with felt to protect the paint job and a brass name plaque. But, I don’t know, perhaps for this 1st generation model I will follow the KISS principle, and save the fancy stuff for the 2nd generation.

On another note, I have been in contact with the folks at 3D printing, who have provided me a quote to print some parts for me, and I have asked them to proceed. The parts I am having printed include the aft sonar fairing and the forward GNATS sonar jammer fairing for inclusion on this 1st generation model, and all of the parts needed to make the 2nd generation sail, including the sail, the sail planes, the search and attack periscopes, the BRA-21 antenna, the BRD-6 ECM and the snorkel inductor (shown below). This will tell me everything I still really don’t know about the detailing capabilities of 3D printing. Depending on how they turn out, I may start by making just a Greenling sail model (ala the Balao monument) or I may use some of the parts on the current model. I guess we’ll find out.

rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Sat May 18, 2013 10:44 am

UPDATE 54

My plans to paint another coat got drizzled out yesterday morning; so instead, I decided to give the screw a working over. I started by dry sanding the heck out of it as you can tell by the multiple colors seen in the pictures below.

I then gave it another coat of the Testor’s Metallic Gold enamel. As you can see, it is much better, but I think that it needs another round.

Speaking of other rounds… In the afternoon I was finally able to give the hull another coat.

It looks pretty darn good, unless you look closely at the sail and hull around the sail, where you will see that it is still not smooth.

So, it looks like I have some more sanding and painting to do today.
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Sat May 18, 2013 7:09 pm

UPDATE 55

Well, I wet sanded the heck out of it and painted it. After doing some work in the garden and eating some great Thai food, I brought it in and took pictures of it. Once again it looks really good from a distance. But Dag-Nab-It when you look up close, you can see that it still needs a little more work.

So here we go again…
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby rdutnell » Sat May 18, 2013 9:54 pm

UPDATE 56

The hull has been re-sanded and re-painted for what may finally be the last time. With the naked eye it looks really good. The magnification provided by the zoom lens reveals a couple of small places that are still not quite smooth, but although I may change my mind later, at this point I’m going to call it good.

The same can be said for the screw. It looks really good to the maked eye but the zoom shows some small flaws, but I’m not going to redo it. I think it almost looks more like a cast the way it is than if it were perfectly smooth.

CHEERS!!!
rdutnell
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads