Banner Ad 1

212 or Lafayette?

Place for general submarine conversation

212 or Lafayette?

Postby michel354 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 pm

Hi,

I am pretty new to RC sub modeling. My name is Michel and right now I'm wondering which kit is right for me; the Engel 212 or Lafayette. I would like to stick to the Engel range of boats since I like using piston tanks for a ballast system. Anyways, I have been doing extensive research about RC sub models as well as the real subs, too. I pretty much understand the majority of the 'special components' that are used exclusively in RC subs, like the pitch controller. I have a budget of about $3,100 which will become $4,000 in the next year or two. Though I have no expertise in RC modeling in general, I am a architect and also a electrical engineer. Right now, I would say I have a fair bit of time (like about 1-2 hours) of free time which I would gladly use for the construction of my model. Unfortunately, I plan to get married in the next 6 years or so, so my then my free time (and money) is gone. :cry: Through my point of view the Lafayette is the better buy for me, since there is more room for improvement. Do note that my lake is a bit too big! :D It is like 90 feet down and is half the size of my neighborhood. Unfortunately it usually have some big waves so the 212 may not 'preform' well.

What about mounting a camera on one of these subs? It seems like the Lafayette is then the prime sub for this job.

Both subs are really good, high quality, beginner subs to me.

What do you think?
michel354

Re: 212 or Lafayette?

Postby Sub culture » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:30 am

Either of these boats is an excellent choice. I'm not that keen on Engel's earlier boats, but their later generation of kits with cylindrical pressure hulls are superb.

In terms of choice, it depends what you are after.

The Lafayette is a longer boat with a conventional cruciform tail. It's quick and agile, but the 212 will is far more nifty on the bends owing to it's x-tail , and shorter hull. In terms of speed, they're about equal- the Lafayette hull is a little cleaner hydrodynamically, so depsite the extra wetted area, it manages to match if not slighly outpace the little 212 in a straight line.

The lafayette comes with an epoxy glass hull, and an aluminium bayonet ring. the 212 is cast in polyurethane resin, and uses a resin bayonet ring.This is less costly to produce, but the end result is extremely sturdy and dependable.

In terms of a camera carrier, the Lafayette is the better of the two- it's extra bulk helps it deal with the drag of piggybacking something like this. Do bear in mind that most underwater videos are like watching paint dry. Your really need another boat in the water to track to liven things up a little, as well as clear water conditions.

Neither boat will handle as well on the surface as say a WWII boat, whose hulls were optimised for surface operation. Therefore if you want something to pottle about on the surface with, you may be better off looking at a Gato or a Type VII.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:13 am

It may come down to which one do you like the looks of better. :D
They are both great boats. :D BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby michel354 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:05 pm

Subculture,

The reason I picked these two boats is that I like clean lines, so in my mind, no guns, streamlined sail, and a hull that is streamlined. My local lake has a TON of weeds, all of which is well anchored in to the bottom. Actually, I don't like WWII boats for a practical reason; the fittings can get lost way too easily, However, I don't exactly like modern "nuke" boats ether, the tear-drop hull does bother me. My style of boat are post-WWII boats, they pretty much retain the shape of a WWII boat, but are streamlined and don't have guns. Unfortunately, no one offers a kit for this type of boat, the closest match is a Gato/Balao/Tench boat, which can be converted to a Guppy boat, which I plan to do.

Anyways, I think the Lafayette is the better choice for me. Currently thinking of some upgrades for this boat...
michel354

Postby Sub culture » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:47 am

Not the case. OTW produce a O-class submarine, which is a post WWII but still retains the lines of earlier boats but with more streamlined conning tower, no guns etc.

It's not a piston tank system on the OTW boats, but their waterpump based system works very well.

http://www.otwdesigns.com/submarines/OClass/OClass.html

Also Models by Design produce a P-class. However I would say that may be too advanced for a beginner, as you will need to manufacture a lot of the hardware yourself.

http://www.modelsbydesign.co.uk

Other boats which offer very clean hydrodynamic forms are the German Walther boats, many midget subs, Type XXI and XXIII.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby michel354 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:05 pm

Oops,

I forgot to mention something, I, for some reason, don't like the look of external sonar domes.

I think I'm going with the Lafayette. Thanks to all for their help.

Michel
michel354

Postby guntherprien » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:32 pm

Great pick !
guntherprien
SubCommittee Member

Postby subcom117 » Sat May 11, 2013 1:00 am

You said you plan on getting married in the next few years and your money and time to work on subs will be gone. You are correct. When I married, my wife told me I no longer had time to work on my hobbies. Although I encouraged her to work on her hobbies where she showed talent, she restricted me. We are now divorced. The same may happen to you.
subcom117
SubCommittee Member

Postby guntherprien » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:04 pm

Image This is for You !.....How´s your Lafayette coming along ? ,Regards,Francisco
guntherprien
SubCommittee Member

Postby ccontrol » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:46 pm

guntherprien wrote:Image This is for You !.....How´s your Lafayette coming along ? ,Regards,Francisco

That's just plain Cool!
ccontrol
SubCommittee Member

Return to General