I’m having a great time in St. Louis, even though it has been raining and I am not getting to play with Batfish. I have been able to read the posts that everybody has been posting and really appreciate all of the comments you guys have provided, and it seems like we are all learning a bit more about the ship together.
While in Ft. Worth at the Flying Saucer, I posted that the pix Tom posted were “the first pix I recall seeing where the supports extended past the antenna to the new/old ‘SD mast’". The beer must have taken effect, because I had seen this before and had decided to use the newer configuration.
Ronald, you are perhaps right. It may indeed be that my model has more detail than can be printed, even though I am designing it so that nothing is smaller than 0.05” in diameter because that is the limit my buddy said that his SLA can print. I really have no clue, though, how it will print, and like you, am curious how it will come out.
Besides learning that the items I was asking about are the telescope hoist cylinders, I also learned that the last item I made and posted was the “DF Loop”. After completing the DF Loop, and before I left on my trio, I also finished the telescope hoist cylinders. My buddy is taking a nap, so I thought I would post the process I used to make them.
I started by drawing a vertical line at the location of the cylinder on the forward mast.
I then drew a 0.34’ (0.028” at 1/144 scale) diameter circle and extruded it down into the shear.
Then copied it to the aft shear…
…And subtracted them from the shears.
Having cut the recesses for the cylinders, I then made the cylinders themselves using an extruded 0.2’ (0.0167” at 1/144 scale) diameter circles.
The alignment of the cylinders relative to the recess can be seen in the top view image below. The green rectangle was also extruded to provide support for the cylinder.
Although it is slightly visible, it will not be apparent to most observers and will provide much needed support for the cylinder. This support was copied to the other shear as well.
At this point I added the support brackets seen at the top…
…And made the parts for the top caps.
I then attached everything to the shears and recolored it.
Once again, I don’t think it is perfect, but I think it is a fair representation of the real deal.