Good Morning Guys!
Continuing on the periscope shears I decided to put the fixtures seen on the support brackets in photos, starting with the lower fixture on the lower bracket. I started with a circle…
…That I extruded down what I thought looked to be the right distance.
A similar procedure was followed to make the lower part of the upper fitting…
…And the upper part of the fitting. A bolt was copied from elsewhere and placed in position on the fitting flange.
I couldn’t tell from pictures how many bolts there are, so I used 8. Who’s counting, right?
After joining the two pieces, I copied the antenna to the side, subtracted it…
…Moved the antenna back and joined the bolts.
Moving up to the next bracket, I noticed that the one I had roughly made was too large on the end, so I sliced it apart from the rest of the shears and drew a polyline where I thought it should be. The other parts of the shears were temporarily transferred to another layer and turned off.
I then sliced the platform end off and extruded the polyline.
I joined the new end to the existing part and like before subtracted the antenna and the aft periscope.
I then moved the remaining parts of the shears back to the correct layer and the new bracket to them.
Moving to the top bracket, I used extruded circles to make the support fitting as seen in the pictures as best I could…
…Joined the pieces to the bracket, and in the same manner as before, subtracted the antenna…
…And moved the copied antenna back.
I’m not sure that I like it, because it may be a little too big, but I can always change it, I’ve had a lot of experience at that.
I next focused on the ring between the shears, that I have probably been told what is, but I if so I don’t recall it. After first drawing what I thought appeared to be the right diameter circles in the correct locations, I extruded them and subtracted the inner one from the larger one.
The bottom support structure was GROSSLY approximated with an extruded rectangle with rounded edges and another rectangle with rounded edges subtracted from it.
I then joined the 2objects and colored them the same as the rest of the shears assembly.
It looked a little small to me, so I scaled it to 1.1, which matches the pictures better.
Once again, it is not perfect, but without the aid of plans for these parts, I think it is good enough for now. As usual though, if I learn better I will change it as needed.