Banner Ad 1

NEW RTR ENGEL LAFAYETTE SSBN-616 1/100-I NEED HELP !

Place for general submarine conversation

NEW RTR ENGEL LAFAYETTE SSBN-616 1/100-I NEED HELP !

Postby guntherprien » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi Everyone, I do really want to know how to run and dive this spectacular sub I bought from someone in Canada.It´s my First Static Diving Sub; it came perfectly out of the crate with No instructions on how to prepare it;that is trimming,weight and balance,and mainly all the procedures on how to test everything to get it ready for the real thing.I have checked on Alexander Engel´s web-page in Germany,but it only has one download parts chart...nothing else as I checked.Anybody knows how to?

It has various sets of batteries and lots of connections,on off switches,the tank,motors,pumps,etc...and I just don´t want to go crazy on it and maybe damage something for not connecting or turning things on in the right order....ANY IDEAS ? P L E A S E H E L P

Gunther Prien : :shock:
guntherprien
SubCommittee Member

Re: NEW RTR ENGEL LAFAYETTE SSBN-616 1/100-I NEED HELP !

Postby guntherprien » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:38 pm

IT CAME OUT OF THE BOX LIKE THIS....NO INSTRUCTIONS.... I NEED HELP !
guntherprien
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:21 am

Difficult to say exactly what goes where, bearing in mind this is a kit open to some builder interpretation. However the Lafayette is not an overly complex boat.

It should be fitted with four channels as standard, controlling throttle, rudder, rear hydroplanes and piston tank. The boat is based on a 12 volt system with two packs of batteries mounted each end of the piston tank. The radio is usually fed via BEC- no separate receiver pack.

The piston tank itself is controlled by a relay switcher, and the tank has limit switches on it to prevent it overdriving.

Make sure the motor shaft seal and bellows for the control linkages are in good order (small inspection hatch at the stern to check this). Lightly grease the shaft seal, and the o-ring mounted on the bayonet ring.

To switch the boat on and off, there is often a magnetic switch mounted inside the boat, but it depends if the builder included it, as it's an optional item.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby roedj » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:42 am

Or, go to this link and download the manual (hint - it's the sixth one down):

http://www.engel-modellbau.eu/catalog/d ... jb7kkmpbs3

Dan
"By doing just a little every day you can gradually let the task completely overcome you." - Wil Baden
roedj
SubCommittee Member

Postby guntherprien » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:13 am

THank you Dan,downloading stuff from Alexander's Engel page as we speak !

And Thank you for the great advice and instructions SubCulture ! ....I have another question...How do you must control the piston tank or the flooding from the radio ? which button or which channel does it control the ballast in or out?....in other words,what is the sequence or procedures with the radio on your hands to start a static dive? to start sinking it under control ? I have no idea...lol I already have seen some diagrams which I already understand, but HOW do I test it with the radio on my hand? can I test it out of the water without damaging the electric pump and tank? what should it happen or do first or second,so on.....sorry to bother you again....
Last edited by guntherprien on Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guntherprien
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:02 pm

The tank control on the Lafayette is non=proportional, throw a stick or switch fully one way, the tank fills, throw it the other way it empties, place it in the middle it stops at that point. To submerge just keep filling the tank until it goes under, or maybe an ounce positively buoyant then neutralize the stick, and you're trimmed to dive.

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Sub culture wrote:The tank control on the Lafayette is non=proportional, throw a stick or switch fully one way, the tank fills, throw it the other way it empties, place it in the middle it stops at that point. To submerge just keep filling the tank until it goes under, or maybe an ounce positively buoyant then neutralize the stick, and you're trimmed to dive.

...unless the previous owner installed the optional proportional UNIpro ballast tank switch.....

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:14 pm

Well that's based on a standard kit. If mods have been made then that will affect things.

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby guntherprien » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Ok ,great ! now I know where to start from; thank you both,I'll be doing some good readings as adviced from you to investigate my system .and I will tell you soon how I figured it out...Hopefully lol!-

Thank you again for your time SubCulture and Jeff,

FJ.
guntherprien
SubCommittee Member

Postby guntherprien » Mon May 20, 2013 4:10 pm

Hi you all,I want to share with you these videos(links) of my Lafayette´s first sea trials : ENJOY !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOd1wkie ... ture=share http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyjDxwKE ... ture=share

Once Again THANK YOU VERY MUCH !
Last edited by guntherprien on Mon May 20, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guntherprien
SubCommittee Member

Postby guntherprien » Mon May 20, 2013 4:13 pm

..................AND ANY ADVICE IN ALL ASPECTS IS ALWAYS WELCOME.Regards,GPrien
Last edited by guntherprien on Mon May 20, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guntherprien
SubCommittee Member

Postby guntherprien » Mon May 20, 2013 4:24 pm

guntherprien
SubCommittee Member

Postby guntherprien » Mon May 20, 2013 4:28 pm

guntherprien
SubCommittee Member

Postby guntherprien » Mon May 20, 2013 4:31 pm

guntherprien
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Mon May 20, 2013 5:34 pm

Looks like it was a very successful first run. She looks good!

How did she handle?

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to General