Banner Ad 1

TT Neptune SB-1 Q's

Place for general submarine conversation

TT Neptune SB-1 Q's

Postby CaptainPugwash » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:10 am

Hi guys,

My SB-1 arrived today and all seems to be ok.

There is a small ss bushing with a fixing bolt (allen key head) that was floating loose in the packaging.

I have skimmed through the manual but cannot account for it. Any idea what or where this part may have come from or where it goes ?

Also, as I move/tilt the Sub, I can hear the ballast weights sliding around inside. Is that normal or do they need to be fixed in place to trim the boat ?

At least I managed to figure out how to fit the battery in the Tx. That was a brain teaser !

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Cpt Pugwash :)
CaptainPugwash

Re: TT Neptune SB-1 Q's

Postby Sub culture » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:32 am

RTFM- carefully. :P
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby CaptainPugwash » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:46 am

I have worked out that that bushing must have come loose from some shaft that retains the ballast weights.

Blowed if I know how much of the sub I need to dismantle to get at, and adjust these weights.?

Had no idea either that just to charge the thing I have to pull half the boat apart ? Wow ! what a total pain in the arse that will be each time :shock:

I'm tired, it's late so will have another look in the morning.

Sorry, I'm a plane and heli guy so this really is a learning curve.

She weighs a ton too. Almost as heavy as one of my kayaks! :shock:
CaptainPugwash

Postby Sub culture » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:18 pm

I'm not as au fait with the Neptune as some on here, however have had some dealings with one. They are heavy for a boat that size, as the WTC is large diameter, so displaces a lot of water.

The battery can be recharged in situ, you remove the front nose cone, which clips in place, undo the front endcap- six hexagon nuts, and charge it via the two binding posts behind that end cap. Batteries should never be recharged in a sealed cylinder- very dangerous.

The weights have locking collars to prevent them shifting about, you adjust the weights to get the boat sitting level in the water, then lock the collars to prevent them moving about.

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby CaptainPugwash » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:51 pm

Thanks Sub Culture,

Lots to learn !

I'm just wondering how much of the boat (or what parts) I need to disassemble to get at, and adjust, those weights ?

I can imagine what's happened. The collar I found loose in the packaging must have come loose in transit and fallen off the shaft. All the other weights are now sliding up and down the shaft they are on.

Don't want to pull too much of it apart if I can help it.

Cheers,

BF:)
CaptainPugwash

Postby Sub culture » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:11 pm

I personally would not commit a boat to the depths without taking apart and reassembling checking each part carefully, because assembly faults can and do slip past quality control. I would carefully check all the wiring and seals, making sure they are intact- no nicks or cuts, and clean.

The Neptune is available RTR or as a kit here in the UK. Much better to buy it as a kit IMO, and put it together, which looks like an easy afternoons work, as there looks little no more to it than putting say a Tamiya buggy kit together, and it equipes you with a better understanding of how it all goes together from the start.

Model subs are very high maintenance machines, and you will need to get used to taking apart, lubricating and checking seals etc. etc. if it is to remain reliable.

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby CaptainPugwash » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:41 am

Thanks Sub Culture,

Yes, I have taken it apart enough to re install the weights and have a quick look at how everything works and goes together.

Floated it in the bath and it sits level and at the correct position in the water (according to the manual).

All servos and control surfaces are working correctly.

I can see the need to inspect regulaly and lube and replace rubber gaskets etc as they wear over time. There appears to be an abundance of spares available so that's all good.

No leaks so far !

Cheers,

BF:)
CaptainPugwash

Postby Sub culture » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:04 am

Okay. You should only need to adjust the weights once with the current set-up. If you change or alter the equipment in some way which will likely alter the centre of gravity then you would need to adjust them again.

The main complaint with the Neptune is the running time is too short, so a lot of people upgrade the onboard battery.

High capacity NimH and lithium batteries are popular, and will offer at least twice the capacity of lead acid in the same package size.

But you're best off getting used to model as standard to begin with.

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby CaptainPugwash » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:26 am

Yes, I'll get used to pulling her apart and tinkering a bit before I race into any serious mods.

The only thing I have done so far is to order the TT 6 Blade prop as I read that it gives a bit more speed.?

Not at the expense of overheating the motor I'm hoping so I will keep an eye on that.

The charger that came with the Sub is pretty ordinary. I'll use my Imax with some new (correct size) banana plugs.

Somebody mentioned the original charger was not topping the battey up to full capacity ?

Thanks again for the advice.

BF :D
CaptainPugwash

Return to General