UPDATE 33 – 4/13/2013
Well Guys, I at least bought TurboTax, so that’s a step in the right direction, right?
Once again Tom, I thank you for all of your input. It has been a big help in this effort, as will the latest pictures you sent. If nothing else, they have answered my immediate question about the hatch. Rounded it is… without the grating.
Your last post has me a bit stumped though, with regards to terminology. I thought that the fairwater was the u-shaped bit on top of the bridge. Do I have it backwards or am I totally wrong? I think that I have the conning tower right, and I’ve learned that what I have been calling the periscope masts are really called periscope shears, but I’m confused about what is the bridge and what is the fairwater.
The picture of the Main induction breathers will come in handy and it is going to be nice to know what the heck I’m making, as I knew there were holes, but I didn’t know what they were. The info on the “ready ammo” lockers is interesting, and I wondered what they were. It looks like Batfish had at least the forward locker at one time, but it appears to have been removed at some point. It certainly isn’t on Tom’s pictures. Do you suppose they were removed after the war, or during one of her mod’s?
Whatever the case, I continued on the bridge/fairwater bulkhead detailing, next adding more unknown (to me) objects that appear to be vents of some sort. Whatever they are, they are located just forward of the hatch on the port side, as can be seen in the first picture in Update 32.
I started by drawing construction lines showing where the features are located.
I then used the projectgeometry command to project these guidelines on to the curve surface of the bulkhead.
I then drew an arc on the top projected guideline, connected the ends with a line and joined them to form a polyline…
…Which I then copied in and up…
…And lofted them.
Next, I copied the lofted shape to the other locations the object is seen to be in photographs…
…And joined them to the bulkhead.
Next I prepare to add another unknown (to me) detail, the hole in the front of the bridge or fairwater bulkhead. This involved drawing two concentric circles at the correct location…
…And extruding the circles.
I then subtracted the inner yellow circle shape from both the red circle shape and the bulkhead and filleted the edge of the inside circle to match the shape seen in pictures.
It was about this time that I read Tom’s post and rounded the hatch edges. They are rounded with a radius of 0.16’. I wanted to round them more (i.e., increase the radius) but AutoCad wouldn’t do it any larger. It can always be sanded by hand if it looks like it needs it when the model is printed.
Working around to the starboard side I added yet another unknown (to me) object that appears to be some sort of valve. I based the design on two more Batfish pictures of Tom’s, which are shown below.
The first steps as always were to position the object and draw the main outline.
In this case the shape was drawn using two circles that were then connected by lines tangent to them.
The unneeded lines were trimmed and the remaining lines joined to form a polyline.
I then lofted the shape through the bulkhead surface. I at first lofted all the way through, but I later filled the back portion using the same shape to create a recessed area, rather than a hole.
At this point I had to use a little modeler’s license and ad lib a bit to make the valves seen in the pictures. The smallest significant (from a modeling perspective) item in the pictures is the valve handle, which appears to be maybe 1” in diameter. Remember, the SLA printer is limited to a diameter of 0.010”, which at 1/144 scale would equate to 1.44” real scale. The image below shows the parts I made to fit into the recess. The blue “handle” and red cylinder are as small as I could make them. I then used a combination of various sizes of hexagons and circles to approximate the items seen in the photos, and I mean approximate.
When joined to the recess and recolored, it looked pretty decent, though not perfect by any means.
After looking at it a bit I decided to make the handles a little bit longer, although they still look a little squatty.
Still, I think they will work, especially when seen in the grand scheme of things.