Banner Ad 1

Trying to fix a TYPE XXIII by 32nd Parallel

R/C Submarine modelers

Trying to fix a TYPE XXIII by 32nd Parallel

Postby guntherprien » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:07 pm

Hi every one ! I just got an old Parallel 32nd 1:32 Type XXIII U-Boat....it seems to be in good shape and everything....but I was wondering if some one happens to have the original plans or instructions, or something , so I can run it and dive it.It´s a dynamic diver.the motor,receiver,servos and controls appear to be good. I´m fixing the hull by the bow which is badly broken where the front dive planes go.......ANY HELP SOMEWHERE ? Thank you all
guntherprien
SubCommittee Member

Re: Trying to fix a TYPE XXIII by 32nd Parallel

Postby kazzer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:29 pm

What about posting some photos. What do the innards look like? What R/c equipment do you have?
kazzer

Postby Bob the Builder » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:02 am

I'm building that exact kit right now. Not sure what you're actually requiring, but I have all of the drawings and instructions.

The build will feature an upgraded drive unit (Caswell SubDriver) instead of the '80's era dry hull, so it might not help you a lot. It will also have functioning torpedoes (bwa ha ha ha).

Pics and info are on my site at: http://rc-sub.com/projects/viewproject.php5?id=54
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Warpatroller » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:55 pm

@nandezfj - You need to share with us whether your hull has the stock vacform pressure box installed in it, or if it is in some other configuration..

@Bobthebuilder - I will be watching your build article with interest! I have the same kit, with the torpedo launchers like you do. I see you're using the 2.5 inch Caswell Subdriver. I was thinking about possibly putting that 2.5 Subdriver in my 32P. Will be nice to see the finished result first though. I see no reason why the same Subdriver couldn't be used in both the 32P and the new Bronco 1/35 XXIII models. So that you could swap it back and forth between the two hulls. Though I would prefer to keep the big, 12Volt Pittman direct drive motor setup in my 32p, over the reduction gear drive, with the weaker and cheaper motor used in the Subdriver. I like those big, heavy, solidly built Pittmans..

My 32P still currently has the stock pressure box bonded into the hull with that super strong, never separating "Versilok" stuff. I read that Simon originally did NOT bond those boxes in the hull before shipping the kits out, but too many of the kit recipients did a lousy job at bonding the boxes together and bonding them into the hull, so that the boxes came apart in the water and sank the boat. Too many of those incidents made him bond the boxes together and inside the hull, at 32P, before they were shipped out to customers. Unfortunately, it makes it quite difficult to extract the box if one wishes to do so.. I don't see how you can extract the whole box.. Looks like you left part of it still in there, at least on the one side of the hull where it was bonded with the Versilok. The Versilok bond is along the bottom and on one side of the box in my boat..
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:25 pm

Exactly right! That Versilok is incredible stuff. The box needed to be cut out amidst a torrent of curses. Came out it did, however. The 2.5"SD fits in there nicely. I've got the linkages in and I'm now working on the torpedo system release mechanism...
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby DMarquez3014 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:43 pm

You may want to check with Mike Dory. He built one many years ago. Also Jeff Apps, he may have plans he could share with you.
DMarquez3014
SubCommittee Member

Postby secrtwpn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:10 pm

Does Caswell still make the 2.5" subdriver?
Farlan Clutters
secrtwpn
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:02 am

Yes they do.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby guntherprien » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:32 pm

kazzer wrote:What about posting some photos. What do the innards look like? What R/c equipment do you have?

Thank you Kazzer and Bob the Builder for helping me out.Sorry I got lost because my password for the forum ,I got it confused .I just got some kind help to be back. Anyway...I still want to learn many things on this hull from 32nd Parallel... I already fixed the bow,painted it and all , but need good advice on how to work that old lid on the bathtub (wtc) for not to unscrew it every time...thinking maybe to cut a new hatch or something on that plexiglass...I'll be posting some pictures soon. Thank you for your interest.Regards,Günther !
Last edited by guntherprien on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
guntherprien
SubCommittee Member

Postby guntherprien » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:18 pm

Bow "Kurskly" Destroyed due to a Bad and poor Packing job from the guy I bought it from in Miami...
Last edited by guntherprien on Tue May 21, 2013 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
guntherprien
SubCommittee Member

Postby guntherprien » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:25 pm

Putting the pieces together like a broken egg....then some resin and fiber glass job inside to reinforced the bow structure,getting it ready for some more sanding and repainting
Drying out from the primer before some more coats of air brush painting
Last edited by guntherprien on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guntherprien
SubCommittee Member

Postby guntherprien » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:15 pm

Practically Fixed on the Outside !
guntherprien
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:51 pm

Thank you for sharing the photos! I am fortunate to have a 32nd P Type XXIII built by Mike Dory. And just recently got it running (very minor change). If you choose to get it to a running state, you will be VERY pleased with the way she handles.
Peace,
Tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby guntherprien » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:33 am

Thank you Tom ! Yes still working on it for diving it soon ...hopefully,take care!
guntherprien
SubCommittee Member

Postby sam reichart » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:10 am

guntherprien wrote:Thank you Tom ! Yes still working on it for diving it soon ...hopefully,take care!

Nice restoration work. someone really banged the hell out of that hull before you got it...

What vendor's type VII model is that in the foreground of the photo?
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to R/C Modeler