UPDATE 12 - 3/28/2013
Well my AutoCad file is up to 35 MB and is getting really sluggish, so I decided to segment the model so that it is easier (meaning faster) to work on the different components. First I created a good datum to copy everything from and to, so that the various parts can easily put in the correct locations.
I cut the hull into three parts so that I could more easily slice off the bridge, but it will require further segmentation later. For now I focused on the upper components, the bridge, the conning tower, the periscopes and the SD mast.
Starting with the bridge, I redid it because the original one somehow got slightly off vertical. The image below shows the part positioned on the gridlines and the datum lines.
I decided to go with the vertical forward edge and designed the aft gun platform based on the Batfish photos, rather than the Pampanito plans. The images below show the completed bridge. OK., not the completed bridge perhaps, because I plan on detailing it at some point, but the major shape is complete. The first image shows the top, deck side. Note the two posts for the periscopes, and the notches cut on the sides and the hole drilled in the deck to accommodate the fairwater.
The second image shows the underside of it. Note that it is hoolowed out. I did this using the shell command setting the thickness to 1.125’, which when scaled will provide 3/32” thick sides. Also, when I lofted the bridge outline, I lofted it slightly taller than it is, for connecting it to the hull.
When I finished it, I copied it into the model using the datum as reference then subtracted it from the model. The result is a groove in the hull that the bridge will fit into.
The design of the conning tower didn’t change and the knobs for the periscopes and the hole for the antenna are clearly seen in the first image, and the holes for mounting to the bridge deck are seen in the second image.
Next was the fairwater. Note the pegs on the sides, at the aft end, and the post forward, in the middle, for attaching to the bridge deck.
No changes were made to the periscope assembly and it fits with the conning tower, like shown previously.
The SD mast has been positioned where I think I’m going to put it, but I haven’t drilled the hole in the bridge deck yet because I’m not sure that’s where it goes exactly.
Separating the parts like this had to be done at some point for printing. Doing it now will make life a lot easier, and less frustrating as I start putting details on the various components. Like the fairwater that I’m getting ready to modify.