Well, I decided to try to redo the bow. This required using two new additional plan sheets, the “Bow Framing Sections A to 9 Incl.” sheet and the “Stem Casting & Fairlead” sheet. The latter was discussed earlier, and even though the quality isn’t very good, I finally deciphered it. I must say that this was the second most difficult part I have made to date, the hardest still being the Greenling screw. I didn’t get it right the first time, that’s for sure.
To start I traced Frames 1, 0 and A from the “Bow Framing Sections A to 9 Incl.” sheet, after first bringing it into AutoCad and scaling it of course.
I then copied them to the proper locations on the hull datum, rotated them and lofted them. This was the easy part.
From here I switched to the “Stem Casting & Fairlead” sheet. Shown below are Frames A and B positioned correctly on the drawing.
I started with Section G-G’, as may be seen below.
I next started on Section C-C’, but as you can see the remaining sections only show the top part.
At this point I copied and rotated the four sections to the side of the plan sheet.
Section C-C’ was completed by estimating it’s position between existing sections and drawing a polyline. When half was completed, it was mirrored and joined to form the section.
The remaining sections were created in a similar manner. In the image below, the blue sections are open. And the green sections are closed, with a hole drilled through them.
The closed and open sections won’t loft properly. It’s like comparing apples to oranges, so I reasoned (partially correctly, that the end closed sections needed to be duplicated, but with small openings, to accommodate the transition.
I did the open sections first…
…Followed by the closed ones. The magenta lines are “Guides” for better lofting.
I then extruded a circle along the axis provided on the plans…
...And subtracted it. The results were mixed. The aft end was good the forward end was not. I don’t know what I was thinking.
The good news/bad news is that since my brain was on holiday, it took me a while to realize the idiocy of what I had done, so I traced the ends of the outer section (Section G-G’), revolved them 360 degrees, then rotated them between the ends, thinking that I would round off the end in this manner.
It was at this point that I discovered the folly of my ways, and redid it. This required modifying Section G-G’ to make it closed and lofting to it from Section F-F’. I also closed the loop.
Next I extruded the circle again, and created a tapered surface by lofting between Section G-G’ and a circle internal to the loop.
I then extruded the circle and filleted the edge of the circle.
This was better, but still not quite right.
So, I tried yet again.
This was looking better, but in the process of filleting the circle surface it occurred to me that maybe I could fillet the other edge of the yellow slice and do away with the loop all together. After some trial and error I discovered that a fillet radius of 0.18, gave the desired result.
It looks a little rough at this scale, but it looks better on the ship.
Out of curiosity, I extruded the circle once again along the axis provided in the plans.
It’s a good thing I did, because you can see that there was a little extra cut.
The last thing I did was drill the hole topside and join it to the rest of the ship.
It’s not perfect by any means, as a result of me having to guesstimate the lower parts of the sections. I could probably improve it by trial and error, but that would be a very time consuming exercise, and if need be, a little sanding will correct it.
Anyway, it was a lot of fun, even if it did take me about 12 hours to do. Now for the screw! That’s what she said!