Banner Ad 1

Best Akula kit - looking for your input

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby crazyd96744 » Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:28 am

Aloha

I have been searching for the best kit, but only have seen 2 of them availible. There is the one from Dumas and the one from Engel. Are there anyother kits out there or are those my only choices. Also has anyone had any experience with the Engel kit? Thanks for your help

darren :cool:
crazyd96744

Postby ThierryC » Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:43 am

Hi there

The two kits are supposed to be of the same boat but you cannot compare them: the Dumas Akula is a pool toy, made out of plastic, and whose dimensions/appearance are really vague, it is a dynamic diver and you only need a 3 or 4 channel radio to control it.
On the other hand the Engel Akula is a very accurate representation of the russain boat, made out of fiberglass, with scribe lines, retractable bow planes, periscopes, piston ballast system, etc.... This boat can be made to be extremely nice.
The choice mostly depend on how much experience you have and how accurate you want your model to be: the Dumas is a pool toy but pretty easy to put in the water and you can probably play with it in a few weeks. The Engel is a lot more complex and will require a lot more time to complete, as well as skills. If you are a beginner with no experience the Dumas would be better, however if you feel like you can learn new things easily and are not afraid to ask for help when in tight spots, the Engel is for you.
There are 10 kind of people, those who undertand binary and those who don't !
Sub-Systems
ThierryC

Postby smwarships » Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:28 am

Hello ,

I have been looking at the Engle Akula and comparing it
to the Thor Alfa kit .
Is it possible to take a Thor Alfa and transform it into
an Akula ???
Between the two subs there are very few differences that
I can see . The torpedo shape to the top rudder fin is the
only difference that I see and the props , Akula 7 blade
Alfa 5 blade .....

Darle ???
smwarships

Postby AntoineL » Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:29 am

I would go for the Engel too...but it is much more expensive.
It depends what you are looking for. A toy or a RC model, It would maybe worth the wait of saving money to buy the Engel as it is a real static diver you can build with a static depth keeper (TAES system) , periscopes, retractable bow planes ...

Please check these german links for more pics (no english version sry) :

Akula airbrush

Akula again

Cheers !

Antoine.
~~~~ MOBILIS IN MOBILE ~~~~
AntoineL

Postby AntoineL » Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:36 am

sry I just realized that the links wont work as the forum where the pics are, is protected by password. :O

so here are the pics :

THANKS U-178 for the pics !!!
~~~~ MOBILIS IN MOBILE ~~~~
AntoineL

Postby 82-1045851831 » Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:40 am

Nice pictures of the Akula!
But nobody has mentioned the scale shipyard 1/96 Akula
In subswap,I have one posted for sale that I have not gotten very far on.Made the matthew spade sawteeth hull index lips,but not installed.Flood vents cut out.And stern plane bases are installed but sanding not finished.Hull sectioned into four pieces and put together with small upper section long enough to allow for stern planes.Reverse is true on the front.Will take some work,but is a doable hull.Also has external plans drawn by dave m.
Look at the hull before trying to convert an alfa.The hull contours are a little diffrent anyway.
Wayne
82-1045851831

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:59 pm

Sheerline Ltd. located in the UK makes nice looking and well running Akula that you should add to your list of boats to compare. They have an ad listed in any issue of Marine Modelling International Magazine.

SubCommittee member Martin Calleja, a friend of mine on the island of Malta in the Med has had one for several years and regularly runs it successfully in the salt water harbor at Malta. He is listed inthe SC membership roster if you are interested in emailing him about his satisfaction with the boat. Note that Sheerline doesn't have a web presence - but you will be hard pressed to find anyone who has anything bad to say about Chris Cloke the owner. He delivers on schedule and won't accept any money until the boat is ready to ship.
Tim
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Martin Entwistle » Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:40 pm

Just to confirm what Tim says, I also have had a Sheerline Akula for a few years, and swop info regularly with Martin Calleja, who's done some really good looking modifications to the kit. The kit isn't scale by any means but it does work really well. Dean Naib's website www.marinerc.com has a very good report on building one. Unfortunately the site is down at the moment while he shifts ISP.
Sheerline numbers are listed in the SC vendors section

Martin

Edited By Martin Entwistle on 1047490928
Martin Entwistle

Postby Britt Boyette » Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:47 am

Instead of converting a Scale Shipyard Alfa to an Akula, why not just buy a ScaleShipyard Alfa? Both of them are very nice hulls. FYI, the Akula master was built by Mr. David Merriman III.

Edited By Britt Boyette on 1047912498
Britt Boyette

Break Like The Wind Racing
Britt Boyette

Return to General