Banner Ad 1

1:35 XXIII by BRONCO

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Re: 1:35 XXIII by BRONCO

Postby salmon » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:48 pm

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby sam reichart » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:38 pm

Thanks for the link. I didn't think they were going to carry the kit.
Just ordered one.
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:38 pm

I was able to put eyeballs on the Bronco Type XXIII kit that Jim Butt received this past week. (got it from a different vendor, so they are definitely out there!)

This is a very nicely detailed kit and as best as I could tell after a short 'fondling', an accurate kit. (there are one or two things I might argue about) Converting this kit to be an r/c runnable sub will likely be a very common thing for folks to do and doesn't look like it will be difficult to do. I know that Jim is looking to make his operational.

I'm looking forward to seeing what folks builds look like, both static and r/c. I may just have to pick up a kit for myself!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby sam reichart » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:26 pm

JWLaRue wrote:I was able to put eyeballs on the Bronco Type XXIII kit that Jim Butt received this past week. (got it from a different vendor, so they are definitely out there!)

This is a very nicely detailed kit and as best as I could tell after a short 'fondling', an accurate kit. (there are one or two things I might argue about) Converting this kit to be an r/c runnable sub will likely be a very common thing for folks to do and doesn't look like it will be difficult to do. I know that Jim is looking to make his operational.

I'm looking forward to seeing what folks builds look like, both static and r/c. I may just have to pick up a kit for myself!

-Jeff

Jeff-
What things do you see as being inaccurate? (One thing I've read about so far is the prop...) Just wondering...
-Sam
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi Sam,

The other major item are the upper bow free flood vents which are mirrored port and starboard. The photos that I have and the drawings show them as staggered by a frame. Check out the scans that I shared with you in my Dropbox. :)

There are a couple of other items that I need to verify, but they are really minor.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby sam reichart » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:22 pm

JWLaRue wrote:Hi Sam,

The other major item are the upper bow free flood vents which are mirrored port and starboard. The photos that I have and the drawings show them as staggered by a frame. Check out the scans that I shared with you in my Dropbox. :)

There are a couple of other items that I need to verify, but they are really minor.

-Jeff

I haven't seen the model yet, but that's the way I recall it as well. They are offset from one side to the other. Easily fixed. :-)
Yeah, I gotta print them off. I've got to brush up on my references.
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:30 am

JWLaRue wrote:The other major item are the upper bow free flood vents which are mirrored port and starboard. The photos that I have and the drawings show them as staggered by a frame.

Jeff,
Are you willing to share the pictures?
Peace,
Tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby sam reichart » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:27 pm

Got mine today. Holy crap is it a large model. I haven't had time yet to look at all the parts, but so far, it looks like a pretty nice model.
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:34 pm

salmon wrote:Are you willing to share the pictures?

I'll need to go figure out which book they were in and get them scanned. Give me some time, but I will.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Warpatroller » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:45 am

Both of my kits arrived last Tuesday. One kit has the bow and stern halves fitting together perfectly! On the other kit, the stern halves do not mate up properly. Bronco wrapped the hull halves with rubber bands. This may have contributed to the misalignment on my one pair of stern pieces. One stern half was compressed/squeezed inside the other half when I opened the box. It will make it a bit more challenging to get them glued together properly..

I believe an online reviewer, of the kit, experienced the same issue with the copy he received for his review..
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Postby Warpatroller » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:35 am

Below is a leaked photo that was taken recently, at Arizoniawerft, showing two Typ XXIII hulls suspended by cables from some sort of heavy lifting crane rig..

There is apparently some sort of U-Boat construction activity going on in AZ.. It is unknown, at this time, as to when these boats will be completed, or where they will end up patrolling..

Two sinister looking sisters, hanging in waiting.. I wouldn't want to be on any of the ships that encounter these bad-ass, beyotches at sea..

Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:09 pm

I've started my kit. Finally decided that I will never be able to afford to build her for RC so I may as well just build her static. The kit did, after all, cost $100.

Looking ahead, there is not much about the boat's running lights. I thought about wiring them up and replacing the clear parts with LED's. There appears to be one light forward and aft in the port and starboard light housing. All the instructions say about them is "Clear". That can't be right. What color were they?

- Leelan
Last edited by modelnut on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:10 pm

modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby sam reichart » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:42 pm

modelnut wrote:I've started my kit. Finally decided that I will never be able to afford to build her for RC so I may as well just build her static. The kit did, after all, cost $100.

Looking ahead, there is not much about the boat's running lights. I thought about wiring them up and replacing the clear parts with LED's. There appears to be one light forward and aft in the port and starboard light housing. All the instructions say about them is "Clear". That can't be right. What color were they?

- Leelan

On the tower, the lights on the sides behind the clear lens cover were green and red.
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby sam reichart » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:46 pm

I'm doing this one up R/C...I still may buy another one for static display....
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Static Modeler