Banner Ad 1

32nd Parallel Type XXIII build - working torpedoes!

R/C Submarine modelers

32nd Parallel Type XXIII build - working torpedoes!

Postby Bob the Builder » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:02 pm

I'm a tardy poster, but thought I'd post up some pictures of my current project, a 1/32 scale Type XXIII coastal sub.

This is another commissioned build and the customer has had this kit since 1985. The original invoice was still in the box! The hull got a lot of scratchbuilding attention to try and improve visual interest. I added a lot of details to the conning tower and added weld lines along the hull. The stock dry hull configuration was scrapped in favor of a new 2.5" SD unit. The torp launchers ended up being a combination of the original parts and a version of Dave's torp system. I think I could do a better job of making a simpler and easier to build system if I had to do another set, but these work great in the meantime.

A few pictures and some video of my first shots with the torpedo system. A comprehensive video will be done when the boat is complete. Until then, here's what I've got to share:

http://rc-sub.com/projects/viewproject.php5?id=54

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Re: 32nd Parallel Type XXIII build - working torpedoes!

Postby Scott T » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:11 am

Very cool Bob. Thanks for sharing your success. That is why you are Bob the Builder and all us
Thinkerers want to be like you. Again great job.

Scott T
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby Warpatroller » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:20 am

Bob, you're an inspiration for me to get my 32P kit built!

I have got the original invoice for mine also! My kit was manufactured a decade after yours, in 1995.

It looks like you did not completely remove the stock pressure box. It appears, from your photos, that you only cut away the bow and stern walls of the box, leaving the rest of it intact inside the hull. I believe, in the past, some guys extracted the entire pressure box to allow room for the installation of a 3" WTC. With the smaller 2.5" WTC, it looks like it is unnecessary to completely remove the stock box.

Steve
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:46 am

Steve,

When I got the kit, the waterproof box was already installed with some sort of ultra-superglue. IMPOSSIBLE to get out. I had to carefully (and not so carefully) cut it out to allow for the new cylinder. Apparently the boxes were installed at the shop prior to shipping because of the large number of mis-installed boxes by the new owners. Whatever glue he used is pretty epic...
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:02 am

Hi Bob.
I really like your simplified torpedo design.
Taking what you liked from other designs and making them work for your system.
The firing mechanism you did is a great example of the KISS principal. :mrgreen:
I may shamelessly use your design in my XXIII some day. :roll:
Thanks for sharing. BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler