Banner Ad 1

Emergency locater

R/C Submarine modelers

Emergency locater

Postby JimDavis » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:36 pm

Good day all
I am looking for a design, or a product that would release a bobber, on a string that would locate the sub if it looses power or another problem. For the string , I am an ex electrican and we used a product called Jet Line that you shot through a conduit and it feeds string from the center. so that problem is solved its just the release design I am haveing problems designing. Any thoughts? I did see a timer on a serch of the site but the last post was in 2009. or is this something not needed. In a pool it woUld be easy to see your boat , but a pond would be different.
Thanks
Jim
JimDavis

Re: Emergency locater

Postby PaulC » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:00 pm

Don't know if this would interest you or not but I recall a fellow who would secure the bobber with a Tic-Tac mint. If the boat went down, over time the mint would dissolve in water and the bobber would be released and rise to the surface.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Jure George » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:38 pm

Hello

What if the operator forgets about the breath mint and runs his sub all day, the mint dissolves, the bobber is released and fouls the prop and possibly kills the esc. The sub is dead out in the water. There has to be a small circuit to release the bobber if there is power failure Or loss of signal?? Something DIY ??

George
Geroge Tonkovic
Jure George

Postby PaulC » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:12 pm

Hey, I'm not saying it was foolproof. :D
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:44 am

Some people covered the mint in grease- slows down the dissolve.

Here in the UK, pingers are more popular. This is a self contained noise making gadget that emitts a swooping sound, quite distinctive. In the event of loss you use a hydrophone to locate your pride and joy using sound.

It does mean constructing a hydrophone. Pingers were also DIY, although you can use a modified aeroplane lost alarm.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby KevinMc » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:42 pm

With a little modification you could use a standard "missing pulse detector" failsafe device to trigger a release. Of course the circuit would have to be self-powered or backed-up for long enough to still be able to power the servo and release the buoy after x seconds of loss if signal and/or total system electrical failure. It's certainly not the simplest of solutions, but it is one way to solve it. I can elabourate if this sounds like something you want to try.
Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
KMc Designs
SC #2870
SubComOn
KevinMc
SubCommittee Member

Postby JimDavis » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:55 pm

You know I may have solved my problem, I have a relay to turn on running lights, and it has a set of no and nc contacts, no if I used the nc contacts in a failer it would drop power to the coil and deploy the bobber. now the problem is my lights would be on all the time. or I can get another relay and do the some thing. There has to be a simpler way.
JimDavis

Postby Ramius-II » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:27 pm

Hi Jim,
I think you have the correct idea and for me I used a small electromagnet which holds down a balsa wood cylinder painted safety orange. The top of the cylinder has a hatch cover glued to it and the bottom of the cylinder has a tin disk from a tin can. The cylinder fits between the outer hull and the wtc. The fishing line was wound onto a plastic sewing machine bobbin. When you loose power the cylinder will deploy. If you wish to stay with "all plastic" then you may consider using an old pill bottle from a pharmacy. I went a little overboard and stuck a flashing led and battery in my cylinder with a plastic pin which keeps the led on switch (home made) open until the cylinder is released. :wink:

Best, Ed
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby JimDavis » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:56 pm

Ed
Thanks for your advice, I have not considered a light, and I like that, I wonder if a small strobe would work.....Now its getting fancy.
Thanks
Jim
JimDavis

Postby Ramius-II » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:01 pm

Hi Jim,
You are very welcome! Yes, a strobe might work and it depends on the size. Red flashing led's are common so no additional "electronics" would be necessary. You can use watch batteries to power the led.

Best, Ed
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:17 pm

Put a mercury switch from a thermostat that when released the bobber rotates and
closes the switch to energizes the flashing lights and why not a siren sound. :)

Scott T
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby zotfidjy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:39 am

Hi, here http://www.miniflotte.net/pages/a_techs.htm have a very simple solution, one spaghetti.
Take a look there, he also make a comparision table for somo brand of spaghetti.
zotfidjy

Postby Ramius-II » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:47 am

Hey Jim! :D
If you are still working on your locator then here is something that you may find useful? Most people us a magnetic reed switch that look much like a glass fuse. A company by the name of "Magnasphere" (www.magnasphere.com) makes a magnetic switch that is about the size of a #2 pencil eraser! Their part number is MG-B2-10-L and at www.digikey.com it would be part number 735-1007-ND. Thus with a small electromagnet to hold your locator in place when you lose power the electromagnet will lose it's hold and the locator will float to the surface! The switch, mounted in the bottom of the locator, when released can trigger anything you wish. As for a plastic cylinder, one size that may be perfect is the long cover cap from an old bottle of modelers super glue.

Best, Ed
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby Robert F. » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:50 am

I must say the option of pinger and hydrophone(s) is very appealing to me. No release mechanisms, no wires that could be caught in something...

Andy, where could I find the build schemes (if that's the correct term) for these items?

Best regards,

Robert
Robert F.
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:37 pm

The pinger chips are made available to AMS members only, they cost £5 each I believe. If you can code a microcontroller (PIC, Atmel), you can come up with something similar, the design emitts a swooping sound somewhat like an ascending square or triangle waveform, which sounds every few seconds. As time goes on the interval between swoops increases in order to preserve the life of the battery. The pinger can apparently last for several days, which gives you a sporting chance of arranging for a diver if the model goes too deep to swim for it yourself. Details on how to build the hydrophone amplifier are published on their forum, it also shows a built up pinger which uses a PIC microcontroller coupled to a piezo mounted in a small capsule (plumbing fittings) with a self contained power supply- two button cells.

http://www.theassociationofmodelsubmari ... ydrophones

The piezo transducer is epoxied into the enclosure, which also acts as a resonant chamber. The unit can be mounted inside or outside the main dive module. For small models, mounting externally could really upset the balance and internal mounting will take up too much space. Alternatives could be using an endcap on a dive module and modifying it to create a small watertight area of its own.

The original link on how to build hydrophones seems to be dead, but here is another that should work well enough-

http://maaheli.ee/main/archives/272
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to R/C Modeler