Banner Ad 1

Subcommittee summer regatta

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Subcommittee summer regatta

Postby Greg W » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:50 pm

Is there going to be a regatta in Carmel this summer? my wife is bugging me to find out when it will be so we can plan on going again this year. Greg
Greg W
SubCommittee Member

Re: Subcommittee summer regatta

Postby Thor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:27 pm

Greg,

We are working on it. Yes, it will be in Carmel again this year. We don't have a date yet. This Regatta will be run a bit differently than years past so we are spending a lot of time breaking down all of the tasks that are required to pull the event off and getting it fully documented. This will be rolled out to all of the SubRons. From there we will put together a task list and get everything rolling. Plan on an August Regatta as usual for now.

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby Greg W » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Thanks Matt, I'm sure alot of us would like to know the which weekend in august as soon as possible for scheduling, but I know there is alot to do so please keep us posted. Greg
Greg W
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:17 pm

As soon as we know for sure, we will make an announcement.

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:40 pm

Thanks for your hard work Matt.
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:07 am

I've seen the announcement on this forum about requesting assistance from all Sub chapters in the organisation of this years event.

Fair enough- many hands make light work as the old idiom says. But there is a potential problem.

I can't speak for other chapters, but as the contact for the British chapter I haven't received a membership list for some years now (last one in my possession is dated 2008). Thus I haven't a clue about the current membership status in my chapter.

Going by my own experience, getting people involved and committed to lending a hand in activities often requires a little 'encouragment'. But if you don't know who to contact in the first instance, then you're at a major disadvantage.

There must be a database or spread sheet of current members in order to maintain access to the membership forum sections, therefore could this be distributed to members or place on the website for download, like the SCR? An annual update would be quite adequate.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:15 am

Andy,

With the move to online publishing and PayPal-based payments, it has become much more difficult to maintain a current membership database. I believe the information is actually available via the reports that PayPal can generate, but getting that information into a usable database takes effort...to do this someone will need to step forward to do the work.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:14 pm

How about a membership form to go along with the paypal page.
Say with minimum information required. Name, address, e-mail, nearest club pick-one.

Another concern for me is I don't have paypal to renew my subscription and was wondering
if there is a mail in form I could use. I don't really want a paypal account but will probably
get one when you cut me off.

Thanks,
Scott T
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:26 pm

I don't believe you have to use Paypal, Scott. It's an option, and a highly convenient one, especially for international members. Setting up a Paypal account is a cinch, and free to use. I highly recommend it.

I believe you can still pay by more tradtional methods if you prefer however.

Regarding the membership list, this is really something that needs to be addressed, as I find it's making things very difficult for me as a chapter leader to assess its present status- how can I or anyone else run a chapter competently when I don't know who is in it.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:29 pm

Andy,

We have discussed this at length and there is no easy solution. With the move over to the electronic pay system, it has become much more difficult. It is not an easy code change as one might think.
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tom Dougherty » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:03 pm

Matt,
Is there some way we could either post a membership form on the web site or send an email out to current members and at least request they fill out a simple membership form? Better yet, could it possibly be linked somehow to the upcoming March SCR download from the site (and maybe June's SCR as well)? You have to figure that virtually all SC members download the magazine, and could get the request with that download. I know it won't be 100% compliance in getting returned forms, but at least it might be a start.

Tom
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:06 pm

Tom,

We have talked all of this through over the last many months. The fact of the matter is that is requires a bunch of customization of our current software and we made the decision that, at this time, it was not a top priority with so many action items on our plate. Believe me, we labored long over this one...

Maybe Paul or Jeff can provide a more cogent answer.....

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:21 pm

Why not have each Local Chapters use their members-only child forum and create a mailing and address list for that chapter?

re: customization - PayPal doesn't appear to provide us with an easy means to pull the member's mailing address. If someone knows a way to do this, I think something could be arranged so as to create a membership list. But regardless, someone will need to step up to the plate to be responsible for maintaining the list.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:29 pm

Guys,

We need the help of all of the SubRons, and we need folks to step up soon or there will not be a regatta this year. We can no longer saddle a single SubRon with the entire effort. We have run the course abusing single SubRons. We cannot ask them to do it again. This will be much easier if we can divide and conquer!

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:27 pm

The issue is the forum mod we use to renew membership payments and simultaneously update forum user accounts. By using it we eliminate the need to manually update forum user accounts once a member pays his dues. Unfortunately, as designed the mod will only process the transaction with PayPal as a donation and only captures the donor's email address. The decision was made to go with customer service over data to ensure members had the quickest path to their membership benefits. We did not have the resources to hire someone to create a new mod to do everything we wanted. The planned future forum upgrades should address this issue. And we do have a volunteer ready to manage the date once it comes online.

Having been involved in SubRon leadership for over a decade I feel your pain, Andy. We can supply you with the most up to date list we have at present. Hopefully it will help you.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas