Banner Ad 1

The US-(C)SSN996 'Dragonfish', a Cold War concept sub.

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: The US-(C)SSN996 'Dragonfish', a Cold War concept sub.

Postby Richard » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:58 am

Thanks Steve...the Dragonfish is now undergoing a bit of a refit, she was never that good in the water, so after a few months sat on the bookcase, she's back on the slipway. A completely new wtc is to be installed, the ballast pump is coming out, and she will be rebuilt as a dynamic dive boat. That should make her a lot lighter to start with, and hopefully cure the nose heavy attitude she's always had from day one.

I'm planning on using my Robbe F-14 radio, the original HiTec Optic 6 never did work properly for some strange reason, but the F-14 has worked perfectly in my Neptune, so it's going in the Dragonfish. Plus it's in a tray, which makes using it with arthritic hands and fingers a whole lot more comfortable.

So, I have the new tube on order, I'm going to ask Ron Perrott to make the end caps for me, and so far I've remade the wire linkages for the rudder and the rear 'planes.

More later as and when I've done more to it.

Rich
''number one...periscope depth if you please''
Richard
SubCommittee Member

Re: The US-(C)SSN996 'Dragonfish', a Cold War concept sub.

Postby Richard » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:38 am

To save me the task of uploading and downloading photos of the rebuild, the whole thing is available to read on the Association of Model Submariners forum...it's free to register, so feel free to visit and read the refit log.

You'll find it by going here: http://www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com/t955-the-dragonfish-revisited

For those of you who use Facebook, it's also on Andy Lawrence's 'dive in to model submarines' page : https://www.facebook.com/groups/133360626703083/

Rich
''number one...periscope depth if you please''
Richard
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to Builder Threads