Banner Ad 1

Masts and Scopes

Place for general submarine conversation

Masts and Scopes

Postby modelnut » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:49 pm

Hello!

This is something that has bugged me for a while and I can't seem to find any consensus on the question.

What did WWII subs look like when they were underway? Or at port? How did they stow their masts and scopes when not in active use?

Modern subs draw them into the sail. An extended pipe makes noise as it is pushed through the water and that is a big "No-No" when trying to sneak around in enemy territory.

All of the models of WWII subs that I have seen, whether static or RC, have there masts and scopes standing tall over their conning towers, fair-waters or sails. I think I saw the boat in "Das Boot" moving on the surface with nothing but the fair-water showing. Am I recalling that correctly?

I want to know so I can work on my stash of sub kits that I have been collecting for these many many years. One or two I hope to reserve for eventual RC conversion. But I really want to build and finish a couple this year.

So what do you think? Is there evidence one way or the other?

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Re: Masts and Scopes

Postby PaulC » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:23 pm

Leelan,

Generally, if the scope or mast is not in use then it is lowered. It basically depends on what is happening when a particular image is taken. There are many shots of boats tied up at the dock with the scopes down. I have several of Wahoo departing for patrol and the scopes are down but the radar mast is extended -- which makes sense.

I think modelers tend to show them extended because they make the model more interesting visually. And if it is an r/c boat, and don't have a method to raise them while underway, then you would want to leave them up so you can run at periscope depth.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby BoomerFunker » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:45 pm

A fully extended scope is an adjunct to the lookouts. It's like putting a watch stander a full story above the rest able and able, with magnification mind you, to see that much farther.

I suppose it would be up to the individual CO but the benefit of having one up (and manned of course) during surface transits would be marked.

Seems to me most of the photos we can see are of boats in harbor or in friendly near seas so they may not reflect an actual on alert patrolling posture anyways.

TomK
Last edited by BoomerFunker on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BoomerFunker
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:52 pm

On the DVE we did aboard USS Helena both scopes were up and searching the entire time we were on the surface for the reasons Tom mentioned.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Return to General