In between taking the last of the Christmas decorations off the house and going for a short, cold, spin on the motorcycle I managed to get some work done on Trigger
I needed to fix the pointy CT of Silversides
to the rounded CT of Trigger
so first thing to do was to lop off the offending bit of the resin piece and mate it up with the corresponding correctly shaped section from the kit part.
I wanted the cut as clean and straight as I could make but I can get kinda twitchy with power tools. Instead, I used sticky Dymo embossing tape as a straight edge then scribed the line in over and over till I worked through. It resulted in a very straight and clean cut.
This is a pretty good chunk of resin. It had warped a bit at some point after it's manufacture which is not uncommon. A soaking in hot water for 30 minutes or so then some time in my clamp rig made it better and though not perfect it is quite serviceable now.
In places the resin piece is SOLID
. That makes it heavy, way heavier than the kit part. There has been much talk out there from others more knowledgeable than me of the great necessity of saving as much topside weight as possible so the surfaced trim will look accurate. With that in mind I attacked the piece as deeply as I dared, thinning as much resin as I felt I could with a router attachment on the Dremel.
Now that all the carving was done I felt it was safe to mate up the parts back into a complete tower ass end. (that's Navy lingo ya' know)
The rod is spreading the walls of resin apart back to an accurate distance. An inward spring became apparent after the back was cut off.
The kit deck has a raised area for the kit CT. It is just in the way for mounting my resin sail so it had to go. I traced the profile then cut to the line with an appropriate bit. When I was done I installed a couple of 032 X 1/4" brass strips across the resulting hole so the resin CT wouldn't just plummet through. I can shim it if I need to when I get to the final installation but for now I can still work on it and the deck separately which will be very helpful when I get to re teaking the deck.
It's sits about right the way it is now. I am going to continue further working up the tower. I plan on installing all the major sturdy features and redoing the planking on the gun platforms as training to ready for the coming deck work. All the fiddly, delicate parts will wait till much father in the build.