Banner Ad 1

1/72nd Revell Gato Wolfpack

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: 1/72nd Revell Gato Wolfpack

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:16 am

Jeff,

I'm thinking it is an illusion.

My reasoning is that if not then the hard point for the gun mount was moved aft of the 'normal' location in order to end up with that small space between the gun and the sail. That would be a major structural change...and seems unlikely. If the 'shortened' forward part of the sail was lengthened to the normal length, it would be right up against the breech of the deck gun.

Thoughts?

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:35 pm

I think it's the camera angle as well. I wouldn't worry about it and go with the kit fairwater length.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:09 pm

Looks like same length, but positioned farther aft.
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:12 pm

That thing is going to be Harder than ever to duplicate.
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:04 pm

I did an overlay on the sister ships - Herring and Kingfisher, they line up really close to the Gato outline. So I agree with Jeff. Sorry for any fear.....Carry on!
Correction Hoe and Hake, I looked at the Haddock..... I think I will just watch :-)
Last edited by salmon on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:42 pm

You're cracking me up, Pete!
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:53 am

Ditto Paul's comment to Pete.

It's the after extension of the fairwater—it's total length—that's bugging me, and I'm still not totally convinced. The different heights of the two sails are adding to the effect though, admittedly; Harder's has been lowered compared to the kit's. Will plan on studying more fairwater shots before making a final decision.

JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby wlambing » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:59 am

It certainly is an illusion! Remember, that the picture is taken from off the Port bow, @ 45 degrees ahead of a true silhouette shot. And, she is not heading away, but angling toward the viewer (very shallow angle on the bow). Eventually, the camera platform would cross close astern of her if we put this view into motion, assuming their both heading to the left. Another thing that throws this view off a bit is that her bow is down in a trough, or her bow tanks are full and she's riding heavy, perhaps in anticipation of a fast dive scenario. Look at where the bow wave is in relation to the normal waterline. Go with whatever your best set of plans show you and you will be fine.

You guys ever really notice that the kit left out some rather important detail items? Oh, little things, like engine exhausts, the After Battery access hatch outline (whose handheel is undersized!), etc. I'll be detailing the sides of the upper hull today and tomorrow. I cut the outline for the hatch the other evening, before the arctic chill drove me out of the pit-o'-doom!

Good luck, good progress!

B^)
"If you ignore the problem long enough, it will go away. Even flooding stops eventually!"
wlambing
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:17 am

Bill, let's see your boat! I'm very interested in how you're addressing these details.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:59 am

Hey Paul. For some reason none of the images in the SubCommittee forums are showing up today. All broken links.
Went into my build thread first. THis one is same way.

Is this happening for everyone?

Thought you'd see this faster than writing to webmaster.

Thanks,
Pete
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:32 pm

Pete, they are showing up for me. Have you had any luck with them yet?
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:50 pm

Tried another device an they are working. Found our firewall at work is not allowing the photo postimage service through thanks for the quick response.
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby wlambing » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:23 pm

Pete,

I really haven't done much. I measured and scribed the hatch outline and drilled some holes in the correct places for the engine exhausts. The pit-o'-doom is unheated space, so I don't get to stay down there much during winter. The space heater helps, but the aircraft carrier of a desk that serves as my work table just sucks the heat back out of you! I don't do pictures and post them here 'cos it's too complicated for a 'puter illiterate such as myself. I take a camera to our meets, but most times forget to use it! Anyway, there's no great wizardry on my end. There's a lot of stuff I'm blowing off for a few reasons, but mostly because she's gonna be a runner and not a museum piece. Trying to be really accurate with this kit is a waste of time and money if your gonna beat the snot out of it in a pond and transporting it. Another miss they should've put on the hull; the main deck extensions at the gun location(s). I could find lots more, but I'll just end up being grumpy!!! Oops! Too late! What's with the super-cheesy radar supports? They look nothing like the real ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B^)
"If you ignore the problem long enough, it will go away. Even flooding stops eventually!"
wlambing
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:23 pm

Yes, Bill, you're right again. Lots to ignore -- or hope they get right if they ever decide to revamp and reissue as a Balao (note: I am not trying to start any rumors). I will say this, John Knasas' boat is very well done, with antenna wires strung from the kit outriggers, etc. and it still looks great after a season of running. He must be living right!

Pete, glad things are back on again.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby mar7ck » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:04 pm

Captain of the boat may I join this illustrious build???

I am hoping that seeing the wolf pack will inspire me to complete the boat.
I think I will repair the conning tower it fell and broke at a Sub Regatta. I cant remember how that happened. :wink:
This is quite the departure for me to build a large sub.

Thanx
The Small Sub Guy
Mar7ck
The Small Sub Guy
mar7ck
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads