Banner Ad 1

Mini Maker Faire Houston, Texas

Local Chapter covering Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, and Nebraska.

Mini Maker Faire Houston, Texas

Postby PaulC » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:41 pm

Guys,

I have been asked if SubRon5/SubCommittee would participate in the 1st Mini Maker Faire hre in Houston. Info is as follows:

"The 1st Mini Maker Faire for the greater Houston area will be held on Saturday Jan. 19, 2013 at the Stafford Centre. Please consider participating in this event as exhibitors to demonstrate some of the interesting models, technologies and activities involved in your hobby.
As stated on the event web site at http://www.makerfairehouston.com/ : "Maker Faire Houston is a family-friendly showcase of invention, creativity and resourcefulness, and a celebration of the Maker movement. It’s a place where people show what they are making, and share what they are learning. Makers range from tech enthusiasts to crafters, educators, tinkerers, hobbyists, engineers, artists, science clubs, students, authors, and commercial exhibitors. They are of all ages and backgrounds. Maker Faire’s mission is to entertain, inform, connect and inspire these thousands of Makers and aspiring Makers." More information about the event is on the web site and in the attached flyer.
We're expecting event attendance in the range of 3,000-5,000 people, so this is an excellent opportunity to introduce more people to your hobby. Perhaps you could demonstrate or exhibit some "maker-oriented" aspects of the hobby such as model construction or interior structure, and the equipment and technology you use in your models."

They are offering to provide a 15' diameter x 4' deep pool for our use as well. I can dive and surface my Permit at least, maybe scrape it around the walls in a circle if they are soft enough.

Who is willing to attend with me? I'll need to know so I can request enough table space.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Re: Mini Maker Faire Houston, Texas

Postby JWLaRue » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Paul,

Sounds like an excellent opportunity to further the hobby! If you'd like a handful of SC brochures, let me know and I can send some to you.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:33 pm

Please do. The more we can hand out the better!
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby BoomerFunker » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:25 pm

Darn that 1200 mile gap.

I'd really like to go to a Maker Faire mini or not. Make magazine is an excellent inspiration for all kinds of projects many of which could apply to our own little niche hobby.
Case in point, the special edition they have out on newsstands now all about 3D printing. This technology and it's costs are getting closer and closer to being a real option for us general hobbyists and maybe someday we'll all have 3D printers sitting between the drill press and lathe over there on the workbench.

Have fun Paul, I'm totally jealous.
BoomerFunker
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:34 am

Nothin' like smooth and steady at PD to wow 'em.

Make it so.

JeffP
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby Downbubble » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:54 pm

Paul, I sent you a PM.
Downbubble
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:21 pm

John Knasas, Fitz Walker and myself manned the SubCommittee booth at the first annual Houston Mini Maker Faire held over the weekend at the Stafford Event Center. It was really well attended and had a truly diverse bunch of exhibitors -- from electric car conversions, full scale R2D2s running around, 3D printing, even a hovercraft. If a similar event turns up in your neck of the woods I encourage you to attend.

Fitz and John early in the day, just prior to the event opening to the public. John's Gato is on the left, Fitz's mini dynamic divers in the middle and my trusty Permit-class on the right. I brought along my static Nautilus on the table behind us as well.

Here I'm answering a question for John regarding my WTC. We're taking a seat while we could. We were on our feet most of the day answering questions and handing out literature. It was a lot of fun. Just a bit frustrating that we couldn't demonstrate the boats in the water somehow. Lots of kids there and they asked some very intelligent questions.

Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Return to SubRon5