Banner Ad 1

Engel U177 Type IX D2 Contruction question

R/C Submarine modelers

Engel U177 Type IX D2 Contruction question

Postby P Webster » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:08 pm

I am up to the stage of installing the electronic internals of the sub and I see that Engel say to remove all electronic components prior to gluing the middle deck (AKA, the wtc cover) in position.
Can someone explain why this is required.
P Webster
SubCommittee Member

Re: Engel U177 Type IX D2 Contruction question

Postby Giovanni » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:06 am

Some adhesives can destroy electronic components.
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Alexander Engel 1/48th scale Gato
Graupner MC-19 radio converted to 75MHZ

"Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real." — Jules Verne
Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Postby P Webster » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:17 am

Giovanni,
Thanks for your quick reply. I thought this may have been the case but the adhesive I am using is "Great Planes" 90min epoxy resin and have been using this for years on my aircraft and train models with no effects on any circuits.
Maybe I've been lucky but I will heed your advice and not re-install any gear for 24 hours ( stated curing time), after application, as this will be a fairly heavy application around the middle deck.
Once again thanks
Peter Webster
P Webster
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:18 am

Is that what Engel recommend you use.

I haven't got that kit, but I'm pretty sure it's a polyester hull, and if so ideally you should bond the two halves together with polyester resin and some cloth reinforcement.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby P Webster » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:40 am

The two types of glues I have are Great Planes , as previously mentioned, and "Bob Smith Industries" glue, both 30min. to 90min. setting time.
I am mainly wanting to use these to glue support plates for things such as the radio gear, lead ballast, dive tubes and allied switch circuits. I have looked on both bottles and there is no mention of what type of glue it is. I guess you learn as you go along.
Can any Aussie members assist in telling me where I can get some polyester adhesive. I will buy it from overseas if need be.
Sorry to be a pest but I just want to get it right
Peter Webster
P Webster
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:53 am

Being the Uk I can't recommend any supply places down under, but a quick google brought up a number of options. This site looked quite good, and do everything you need-

http://www.fibreglass-resin-sales.com.au/

You will only need a small quantity of resin 0.5 litre should be more than adequate.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby subkraft » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:32 pm

Here in Oz yacht chandlers invariably carry a good range of polyester materials, good quality epoxy. For bonding acrylic, I go to a local sign fabricator who will sell you a tin of what you need.....
“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” ~ Albert Einstein.
subkraft
SubCommittee Member

Postby P Webster » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:58 am

Me again guys,
After having another a more thorough read of the building instruction book I see that Engel mention that you can use either epoxy or polyester resins on all but the installation of the middle deck i.e. the water tight section.
To glue this they state that this "should be glued in with the Polyester Laminating Resin" and advising that it should be thickened using micro-balloons.
I have found this laminating resin at our local Paint Stop store, so it looks like this problem is solved but no doubt there will be many more to come so I will just have to, as my Dad use to say, make haste slowly.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Peter Webster
P Webster
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler