Banner Ad 1

Shades of Adam West

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Shades of Adam West

Postby modelnut » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:00 pm

Came across it while looking for a gift from my nephew: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12076165

Didn't someone build a working model of Burgess Meredith's sub from the old 60's Batman movie? :D

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Re: Shades of Adam West

Postby modelnut » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:14 pm

modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:17 pm

I would have forgotten about that penguin sub. Thank you for posting the pics!
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:23 pm

In the movie Batman the super villains - Riddler, Penguin, Joker, and Catwoman buy a pre atomic submarine that they use to shoot torpedoes, and Polaris missiles at whomever would oppose them.

In reality, the submarine was created by Hollywood and not an actual submarine used in a war.
--------------------------------------…
For the 1966 movie staring Frank Sinatra " Assault on a Queen" Frank Sinatra and crew decided to raise a old German U-boat and restore it then attack the Queen Mary. It would be far less expensive to create the hull of a U Boat than to either raise a sunk one or try to purchase a used one ( Although Penguin got a really good deal :) . The real inside of a submarine also is so small that it would be impossible to film inside so Paramount Pictures created their own.

The Submarine is very similar to the old UB series German Submarines used in WWI.

The filming of the sub - the miniature and the full size set was all done at the 20th Century Fox Malibu Ranch in the canyon. The Lake was called Sorenson's Lake after the great animator that passed away in 1962. The sky was a blue screen and the water was only 4' deep !!!! The Lake was drained to film " The Towering Inferno" in 1974.

The huge submarine prop was loaded up and transported in sections to the Fox Lot in Malibu and reassembled in the large pond. In the movie you notice that the stuntmen all dive at a angle because if they went in head first they would hit bottom- HARD !! Ace Hudkins one of the stuntmen, actually went in wrong and had to be retrieved from the lake, sent to the hospital and it took him a few weeks to recover !

The miniature model last known location was at the Planet Hollywood Las Vegas location.
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby chips » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:09 am

On the TV series and the 1966 movie, The Joker was played by Caesar Romero. During WWII Caesar Romero served in the USCG, reached the rank of Chief Boatswain's Mate. Lord Pfogg was played by Rudy Vallee, who also enlisted in the USCG as a Chief Musician with the iith CG District Band, he later rose to the rank of LT.

A few years ago, George Barris designer of the Batmobile and Batboat, was at a local car show. I took my semi scratch built model of the Batboat to the show. I got him to autograph the forward deck.

In "Assault on a Queen", Frank Sinatra's plan is thwarted by the USCGC ANDROSCOGGIN - with an early version of the racing stripe.
Bob Gesking
SC# 1575
KC8WPF
chips
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:12 pm

You are very welcome! :D

Didn't I see an RC version of this sub in an old SCR once upon a time?

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Return to Television and Movie Submarines