Banner Ad 1

Lipo Question

R/C Submarine modelers

Lipo Question

Postby Ahab79 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:07 pm

So a few weeks ago I was testing out my electronics. I knew it would be a while before I could get back to it. So I left my transmitter and reciever on to drain the battery. Transmitter is charging fine. But the battery charger keeps blinking. I've only charged and discharged this battery two times. So...should I just leave it plugged in and cross my fingers?
Well I know, I miss more than hit
With a face that was launched to sink.
-Flogging Molly-
Ahab79

Re: Lipo Question

Postby Sub culture » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:50 pm

Ahab79 wrote:So I left my transmitter and reciever on to drain the battery.

Why?
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:25 pm

LiPo batteries do not like to be deeply discharged. It can damage the battery.

Do you have a voltmeter so that you can test the voltage on the problem LiPo battery?

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rogue Sub » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:35 pm

I learned the hard way with my first helicopter. Never over discharge your batteries. I think I went through 5-6 batteries before I figured it out. I kept wanting to fly just a little bit longer. None of the batteries ever held a charge past a few minutes after they were over discharged and these were not the cheapos from china. Mine would blink just as yours do when plugged in. It was the charger telling me that the cells were damaged and could no longer be charged....sorry buddy.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby Rogue Sub » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:38 pm

P.S.

I used to believe that keeping my lipos stored at 90% capacity was best policy but, I have been hearing more and more at the airfields that 50% is the best storage capacity. I guess its up to you to decide what you think works...as long as its not zero
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby KevinMc » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:03 am

3.8V per cell is the recommended storage voltage from the reading I've done. (Funny thing, when I buy new packs they all seem to come in at that voltage too...) Part of my post-run clean-up is to get all my packs dis/charged to that level and if I've got any packs that didn't get used I'll discharge them as well before they get put away. Storing them in a cool place for the winter is also good practise.

Of course I've also heard something about saran wrap preserving the freshness of the polymer matrix! :wink:
Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
KMc Designs
SC #2870
SubComOn
KevinMc
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler