Banner Ad 1

Hello + R/C sharks

Place for general submarine conversation

Re: Hello + R/C sharks

Postby salmon » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:52 pm

I like sub culture's idea. Buying the taxidermy form is o.k., but looking deeper into it, there is a lot of cleanup and that time is better spent building. Besides even that 24" version adds a chunk to the cost of building.
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby sam reichart » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:38 pm

Plus, none of the the taxidermy forms have a straight body/tail. There is no "motion" in a fish with it's body in a straight line (from an artistic/presentation perspective). So, you'd have to fix/recast the tail, otherwise, the fish does a NASCAR race in one direction or the other.
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:41 pm

My thoughts with something like a shark, is that you can largely 'eyeball' it right. As an organic creature it won't be perfectly symmetrical, and lots of photos online, plus you can get inexpensive plastic toys on ebay etc. which you can use as a guide.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby DarenCogdon » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:20 pm

Toys off eBay? Being a shark fanatic for many years, I've got that covered quite well...!

Actually, yesterday I unearthed a few drawings that I made a while back. Will have a look and see what I can do with them!
DarenCogdon

Postby Sub culture » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Well if you have some existing toy/model sharks then that's all you need for a reference.

Take a few measurements and draw out to the scale you require.

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby DarenCogdon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:19 pm

Ok, well, I've drawn up something relatively shark-like. Looks good on paper, at least...! :D
DarenCogdon

Postby Sub culture » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:31 am

Okay. Well here is the process I use where you have a subject with no plans available, but where a small model/miniature is on hand as a reference. In this case the yellow submarine, and I used the Ertl plastic kit as a reference, scaled up twice.

Equipment used for the process. A rule, reel of solder or some soft wire that conforms well to a shape, profile gauge, set of calipers (not essential but can be handy for smaller items), pencil and you'll need some paper of course .

First I take some pictures of the model with a rule for measurement reference

Using either the profile gauge or soft wire, I get obtain a reference of the shape at points along the hull.

To get the keel line, I could use the same technique, but this model came supplied in two halves, so this made my life much easier, as I just had to trace a line around the edge as shown

The profiles are transferred to paper as shown here

After a time you finish up with something like this. Not a work of art, but more than adequate to build a hull from. You could if you chose clean these up or even transfer the lines to CAD. I'm more a 'back of the cigarette packet' kind of guy when it comes to drawing.

The completed master next to the original. I made a few tweaks to the larger version to bring it more in line with the movie boat.

I use the calipers for measuring small items like the rudder, periscopes etc.
Last edited by Sub culture on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:33 am

Great instruction and very informative! Thank you Sub Culture.
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby DarenCogdon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:14 pm

Very informative post. Thanks :)

I've drawn up a basic side- and top-view of the shark. The good thing about a Great White is that the shape of the body is more or less circular in cross-section.

The drawing comes out at just over two feet long....
DarenCogdon

Previous

Return to General