Banner Ad 1

DIY WTC.

R/C Submarine modelers

DIY WTC.

Postby Ahab79 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:59 pm

So. I'm about to start my WTC. I'm very nervous about this. I can't 'seem to figure out a affordable DIY way to build one. That suits my needs. The main problem is how to put everything in a tube. Seal it. And have all my linkages and drive shaft (with dogbone) inside. I have a pretty novel idea that I think might work.
1. Cut a window into tube ABS. 2 or 3 inches.
2. Cut a piece of tube taht can easily cover the window. Same size of course. Glue the piece of the first tube into the second piece that covers window. This way they fit together.
3. Get some gasket matrial. cut a square and fit it to the cover piece. With attached endcaps. Some C clamps. I have a WTC that I have pretty good access to the interior. One endcap will be screw top. So I can slide everything out.

Any idea's on how I can make this better?
Well I know, I miss more than hit
With a face that was launched to sink.
-Flogging Molly-
Ahab79

Re: DIY WTC.

Postby JWLaRue » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:30 pm

I don't quite follow your items 1 and 2....?

Can you explain further why the c-clamps? If you are considering using them to hold the end caps in place while in the sub, I'd suggest that their size may be an issue. That said, the basic idea of using something external to hold the end caps into place is a workable one.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:24 am

I think I understand where he's coming from.

Take a piece of plastic pipe, and cut of a small ring, maybe half inch depth say.

Cut out a disc from acrylic or lexan the same diameter as the pipe, and bond this onto the ring to cap one end off. This effectively makes an end cap. Then using a gasket fit the two ends together. Clearly you will have to think up a method compressing the gasket/seal if using axial methods.

Couple of reasons I would advise against this approach. Firstly the join between the clear plastic disc and tubing is a potential failure point, and you should do as much as you can to eliminate points of failure.

Second, it's unecessary work. All you need is a disc compressing up against the end of the pipe with an o-ring seal. The end of the pipe needs to be well finished, and nice and flat if you're using axial sealing.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ahab79 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:54 pm

Sorry for late reply. Work.
Also sorry for the horrible post. Let me clear things up.
both endcaps from store glued into place. Cut window "length ways down pipe. Cut second pipe lengthways long enough to completely cover window in pipe number one. Glue the piece u have cut out of pipe number one into the piece from pipe two. Then. Cut some gasket material to surround the window. The piece you created by glueing part one into part two should fit into the window like a lid. Then you slide the clamps (circular ones you use a screw driver to tighten) down over the tube and cover piece. Compressing gasket. Creating seal.

Clear as mud?
-Flogging Molly-
Ahab79

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:45 pm

Ahhh....I think I understand.

You are using a section of the larger diameter pipe to create a concentric (i.e. curved patch) over the opening in the side of the pipe. Then use a pair of band clamps (sometimes referred to as aircraft clamps) to hold it in place.

Did I get it correct?

I think this can be made to work.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:23 am

So you plan on chopping out a large section of pipe and making a hatch along the length.

Don't do it.

It significantly weakens the pipe, you end up with a much larger seal than you would by making a removeable endcap, and finally, it's a lot more difficult to make.

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:01 am

I highly recommend you have a look at the following two articles in the back issue library.

SCR 40- page 14 Beginners Corner How to make a wtc.

SCR 43- page 22 How to construct an R/C pressure hull.

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ahab79 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:44 am

You know I was so concerned with making it water tight. I didn't give any thought to pressure. I'm not planning on diving more than 3 feet at the very end. But that would still be a lot of pressure. i'm going to read those articles. THEN. I'm going to build the thing anyway. LEARNING IS HALF THE FUN!!!!
-Flogging Molly-
Ahab79

Postby Sub culture » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:56 am

There's no need to make the mistakes many others have made in the past though.

Experience is a dear school, as the saying goes.

The techiniques required to make a reliably watertight cylinder are matured and straightforward.

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:22 pm

Keep thinking about new ways to make the WTC, but master the technique others have succeded with and are trying to teach first.

Scott T
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler