Banner Ad 1

SubPac 1990 - in the beginning

Place for general submarine conversation

SubPac 1990 - in the beginning

Postby salmon » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:12 am

A clip from the past. Mike Dory and Skip Assay gave me permission to post clips from the video. It is interesting that after all this time some things do not change and there are things we can still earn.

Peace,
Tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Re: SubPac 1990 - in the beginning

Postby Sub culture » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:29 am

There are only so many ways of moving water about.

The main advances in the 22 years since that was filmed, can be found in electronics and battery technology.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:58 am

Part 2
A little humor and a heaping dose of wisdom.
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:48 pm

Interesting to hear them talking about John Darnell's boats, I thought they were pretty much unheard of over there, especially at that time.

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:06 pm

It is fun to see what they say about them. I had a Darnell Type VII, way back when and never completed it. I ended up trading it off......Sad in a way, but glad too because that trade got me kick started again.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:35 pm

John Darnell is regarded as the pioneer of model submarines here in the UK. He started making working submarines back in the late sixties, and further developed them throughout the 1970's.

By todays standards the designs look somewhat antiquated, but they got a lot of people into the hobby, and the designs were improved over the years.

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Return to General