Banner Ad 1

AW CRAP!!! ELECTRONICS!!!

R/C Submarine modelers

AW CRAP!!! ELECTRONICS!!!

Postby Ahab79 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:32 pm

Proof positive that I'm new to this. My new battery does not fit the ESC I bought. What do I do? See below pictuers. Laugh away. I'm laughing at mysself. Why shouldn't you share in my shame? Also...read my quote below..."I miss more than I hit.""

Well I know, I miss more than hit
With a face that was launched to sink.
-Flogging Molly-
Ahab79

Re: AW CRAP!!! ELECTRONICS!!!

Postby Sub culture » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:48 pm

Electrics, not electronics. this is just a simple mismatch of connectors. on the battery you have a Deans connector, on the ESC, you have a tamiya connector. You can replace either one to get a matched pair. Of the two I prefer Deans connectors, they can flow much higher current, are inexpensive, easy to wire and extremely rugged.

You can purchase deans connectors at model shops, or get them online e.g.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 20pc_.html

Tamiya connectors are also available at model shops. Can't recommend an online seller- I don't use them at all anymore. One thing worth remembering is that you may void the warranty on your ESC if you cut the plug off and wire on a replacement. Make sure you get the polarity the right way around, it's a sure way to fry your ESC if you get it wrong.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:15 pm

If you are not comfortable with taking a soldering iron to the battery or ESC, you can also use adapters to achieve the same thing. Most hobby stores carry various kinds.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Giovanni » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:47 pm

Most good hobby stores will solder on a purchased, at their store, connector for no charge.
There are Dean's Ultra plug aftermarket covers that make it easier to unplug.
Try HDI Products Dean's Plug covers.

Kind regards,
Giovanni

Alexander Engel 1/48th scale Gato
Graupner MC-19 radio converted to 75MHZ

"Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real." — Jules Verne
Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ahab79 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:56 pm

O.k. so I found some adapters. I'm just curious as to what the other plug is on my battery. White with three wires? And my hobby guy is nice. He's just not happy when you buy things off the internet. But like i've said before. He wanted 200 dollars just for a charger. So any clue what that other plug is for?
-Flogging Molly-
Ahab79

Postby Giovanni » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:57 pm

Cell balancer plug for the battery charger.
Make positively sure that you have the properly matched adaptor for your battery charger balancer.
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Alexander Engel 1/48th scale Gato
Graupner MC-19 radio converted to 75MHZ

"Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real." — Jules Verne
Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:24 pm

...it's a LiPo, right?

That would be the balance charge connector....used with a charger that has the appropriate connector. This allows you to evenly charge the multiple cells in the LiPo pack.

At some point balancing is required on a LiPo battery pack that has more than one cell. This allows the charger to identify each cell and know if one might be overcharged even though the total voltage of the pack indicates otherwise.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:34 am

Ahab79 wrote: He's just not happy when you buy things off the internet.

In my experience, shop owners aren't happy when people buy things off the net, and then go to them for free advice on how to make it work. Internet shopping is great, and I have to say, these days I buy nearly all my modelling stuff via mail order, chiefly becuase the local modelshops are no longer very local, and they rarely have what I'm looking for. But you need to know what you want, so it is better suited to experienced modellers. On the flipside I've known model shop owners who lack knowledge, and will swaer black is white in order to make a sale.

To charge your battery, you only need one of those $5 chargers, it'll take a couple of hours to fully recharge 1300mAH capacity. I wouldn't expect long running times from a pack that size. Half an hour, to an hour tops (running light throttle)

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ahab79 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:15 am

Alright. So this isn't so bad. And I get the ballancer. My charger doesn't have one. So at some point i'm going to have to purchase one right?
-Flogging Molly-
Ahab79

Postby Sub culture » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:57 pm

I find balancing leads to a longer cycle life for the pack. In the early days of using lipos, I never owned a balancing charger, they weren't easily and cheaply availble in the way they are now. What tends to happen over time, is that the cells drift in voltage, and thus the packs eventually go out of balance. With a non balancing charger, you end up either overcharging or undercharging the pack, and the performance starts to suffer.

So in a nutshell, do you have to rush out and buy a balancer or another charger- no. Is balancing worthwhile and should you consider it in the future- I would say a definite yes.

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ahab79 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:12 pm

Alright. So I got my Tamyia to Daen connecter in the male to day. And Lord help me the Tamyia doesn't fit. One side is male. The other female. But they look like two different sizes. NO MATTER. I'm goign to cut off my dean connecter and splice it in. Now I'm going to go buy myself a multimeter. BUT! I'd like to get working on this thing. I have a very stupid question. As long as I keep red to red (positive) and black to black (negative). I should be alright? Right?

mark
-Flogging Molly-
Ahab79

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:04 pm

Yup.

Just make sure that the connector that you use on the battery wires is a female connector. You do not want to have exposed terminals....could cause a battery short circuit if something bridges the terminals. Bad things will happen!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler