Banner Ad 1

U505

Place for general submarine conversation

U505

Postby Graeme » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:18 pm

Hi everyone I'm new to this, but have been modeling for just on 50 years. And I would like to build a Sub. When i was 7 a sub came to our port and i got to go on it, then in 2008 I was in the States in San Diego and went on the Russin sub they have down there. Well luck have it I went back over there that same year to Chicargo and went to see U505for those that have not seen it it is a must.
But after all that i would like to build it Scale 1:40 I would like to build from scratch, first thing is I need some plans with station points on it if someone has 3 veiws or smaller plans. I got a set of drawings the other day of U47 but no station points on it, and my wife said why not build U505 seen I have all the photos and video on. CAN anyone HELP
Thank you Graeme
Graeme

Re: U505

Postby Giovanni » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:56 pm

Hi,
I was fortunate to buy a used 505 Type IX 1/48th scale hull. There is a fellow in Long Beach, Ca. that produces them. He also makes a 1/32nd scale hull. I do have plans for that scale model sub. You may be able to find a good bargain on a second hand hull.
A very kind friend in the UK, that had taken many photos of the Chicago 505, sent me his photos and books on the model.
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Alexander Engel 1/48th scale Gato
Graupner MC-19 radio converted to 75MHZ

"Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real." — Jules Verne
Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Postby Graeme » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi Giovnni
Thanks for the reply, do you have a contact for the dude in Long Beach at all. I would still like to build my own but its could be good to look.
The big thing is to get it sent out to New Zealand the last big thing I got it had to be cut in half to make it cheeper in fright.
Regards Graeme
Graeme

Postby Tom Dougherty » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:17 pm

Graeme,
Well, you came to the right place... First, a couple of points:
But after all that i would like to build it Scale 1:40 I would like to build from scratch, first thing is I need some plans with station points on it if someone has 3 veiws or smaller plans. I got a set of drawings the other day of U47 but no station points on it, and my wife said why not build U505 seen I have all the photos and video on. CAN anyone HELP

I would recommend you do a "Standard" scale, probably 1/48 scale. There are a lot of small aftermarket parts and they follow "standard" scales; 1/48, 1/72, 1/96, etc. When you go to outfit your U-boat with guns, cleats, bollards antennas etc., it makes a lot of sense to be in a standard scale.
Other point is that U47 is a Type VII U boat, whereas U505 is a Type IX U Boat. These two types are very different in size and many other features. So, if you want to do 505, you will need Type IX plans.
Our resident U-boat expert is Jeff LaRue, who is also the editor of the SubCommittee Report. In addition to the niggling details, he has a wealth of knowledge on where to obtain plans & materials.
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby Graeme » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:42 pm

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply, Yes you are right about the size,if I do it as 1/48 that comes out at 1.6m or for those that are in the other stuff 5'3".
I would like to 505 as I have lots of footage and photos. I will get hold of Jeff LaRue and see what he can do for me.
Thanks again.
Regards Graeme.
Graeme

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi Graeme,

...just catching up on postings here in the forum. I'll be glad to help you if I can.

I think the advice to go with a 1:48 scale boat is a good one for the reasons stated. Whether you wish to scratch build your hull or start with a manufactured hull getting a good set of plans will be a very useful resource when building. Photos are also a must have.

Not knowing what kind of documentation resources you may already have, I'd suggest that one of the indispensable resources to acquire is the Fritz Köhl book "Vom Original zum Modell: Uboottyp IX C", which can be found via either the German or U.K. Amazon web sites. There are some very good photos in this book and it has a set of reduced sized plans for the Type IX series of U-boats...including hull stations.

That's a start. . .

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Graeme » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:54 pm

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the reply, you people are so helpfull. I have ordered that book, so should see it in about two weeks.
Can you tell me who or where, would be the best place to get guns and conning tower from??
Thanks Graeme.
Graeme

Return to General