Could someone tell me the differences between
the Alfa and the Akula ?
I know that the Alfa uses a 5 blade prop
and the Akula uses a 7 blade and the Akula
has the torpedo shape added to the top
rudder fin . Other than those differences
what is different ???

Darle Bennett

Need a new prop for your sub or a new sub kit ?
Drop by and visit , maybe I have what you need ...
Scale Model WarShips ???
smwarships

Postby David H » Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:18 am

G'day,

The propeller differences between the Akula and Alfa stand.

The Alfa was first concieved over 30 years ago litterally as an underwater fighter , to hit the US carrier group and nick off home afterwards. Liquid metal reactor very fast .noisy and a real health hazard to the crew. I think they have all been decommissioned.

The Akula is a much larger boat and is considered the main Russian attack sub at the moment. It has the towed sonar pod on the fin at the back. It also has hull mounted for fins aswell.

There is a good russian site for a company that builds accurate scale models of the subs they built at the Severodvinsk shipyards.

Also look up the Federation of american Scientists .www.fas.org

Bellona international is an environmental group that keeps a close watch on what is happening in the Kola peninsula \\

hope this helps,

cheers,

david H

They have really good run downs :) :)
"Baldrick ,you would'nt recognise a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced on top a harpsichord singing "Subtle plans are here again!!" Blackadder.
David H

Postby rarmada » Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:08 pm

The Alfa submarin has the Guinness record of speed for a submarine (over 40 knots). Their hull is made of titanium so it can dive deeper than the Akula.

Axel
rarmada

Postby Crazy Ivan » Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:52 pm

David H wrote:
"There is a good russian site for a company that builds accurate scale models of the subs they built at the Severodvinsk shipyards."

David, do you have the URL?
George "Crazy Ivan" Protchenko

“There are the assassins, the dealers in death; I am the Avenger!”-Nemo
"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request; means No!"-Capt.Barbossa
Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

Postby 115-1045840519 » Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:38 pm

I assume he means Polar Bear Productions.

Polar Bear Productions

Jerome
115-1045840519

Postby 115-1045840519 » Sat Mar 15, 2003 4:59 pm

To address the question at the beginning of this thread.

What are the differences between an Akula and Alfa? The answer if almost everything. It would be similar to comparing the Albacore to a Los Angeles SSN, albeit a nuclear Albacore in the case of the Alfa. The Alfa was built for speed and could achieve 40 knots although not too stealth like with the noise it would create. The titanium hull was more tear dropped shaped compared to modern SSN like the Akula and Los Angeles where a large portion of the outhull is cylindrical. It thoughts some comparision images would help here so I cobbled together some illustrations and photographs of each. The Akula essentially dwarfs the Alfa. In 1/72 scale the Alfa is roughly 45 inches while the Akula in the same scale is roughly 65 inches.

Jerome

Jerome
115-1045840519

Postby Carter » Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:45 am

Jerome:

I find looking at the comparative images of Akula and Alpha intersting. If you like doing this sort of thing, I'd appreciate looking at other graphics like the above.

Comparisons I'd find particularly intersting: Albacore and Skipjack; Blueback and Skipjack; Permit and Sturgeon; Blueback and Sturgeon; Oyashio and Sturgeon; Japanese I-400 and Sturgeon; Nazario Sauro and Blueback.

Thanks.

Carter
Carter

Return to General