Banner Ad 1

Seawolf SSN 21 conversion

Place for general submarine conversation

Seawolf SSN 21 conversion

Postby Navy2000 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:42 pm

I was wondering if any one here has ever converted a SSN 21 Seawolf class in to the SSN 23 Jimmy Carter? If so where did you make the cuts for the additional 100 feet that was added to the hull. I am going to do one in 1/96 scale.

Duane
Navy2000
SubCommittee Member

Re: Seawolf SSN 21 conversion

Postby Wayne Frey » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:09 pm

I am stretching a 1/96 akula hull to make a Borei. I posted a link in another section,new product announcements, for where to get phenominal fiberglass G12 tubes (they have them in different sizes). Very smooth,inside and out. Very rigid too. Very little flex.
Look at my Borei build thread. I have not updated it yet, but will before too long. Working on fit and finish,which is working. And I have learned a lot of little "tricks" for doing exactly what you are thinking.
But it is more work than I thought. However, it is a one of a kind, like a jimmy carter would be.
I will say departing from a "kit" seems like it quadruples build time. But, most important, It pleases me.
Build it!!
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Boss subfixer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:14 am

A member here, Feetwet, scratch built a 1/48th scale Jimmy Carter, doesn't exactly fit with your original question though. It's an amazing boat.
Don Evans
SCM# 2733

Put your heart into it, well done is better than well said... Ben Franklin
Boss subfixer

Postby Feet Wet » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:35 am

Duane,
Unfortunately the cuts to make the Carter are multiple. Because the flank arrays are spaced equidistant from one another, and they are positioned differently than on Seawolf, one has to make multiple cuts and multiple hull extensions or...I cut the bow and stern off, in both cases just forward or aft of the existing arrays, and laid up a new hull section that included the 100ft extention. I then went and added the arrays, belly hatch , escape hatches, ect.
I drew up a plan for the Carter based on photos, best guesses, congecture and what looked good. I will check the pans to see where the 100 ft extension figured in, as soon as I get off crutches and can get to my shop.
cheers
Jonathan
Feet Wet
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:23 pm

A idea for adding length to your hull is to get a second model Seawolf.Image

This can be your source material to lengthen the hull. And it is the same material and curvature.
Sand down and smooth the arrays on hull #1 if you need to relocate them. Cut the lenght extension from the
smooth area of hull #2.Add this length to hull #1.

Cut around the hull arrays on hull #2. Surface glue these arrays in there proper location on hull #1.
Fair in the edges of glued on arrays.

Scott T
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby Navy2000 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi Scott

I have another hull coming from Scale Shipyard that I should have by Friday. I use this extra hull to make the modifications that need to be done to the hull. The upper half will be the easy part, The lower half will need a little more thinking as to how to cut it to add the additional 100 feet section. The lower section will most likely be in 5 parts before rejoining together again. After all is done the model will be 56.625 inches over all.

If all works out good I might even think of building the USS Parche as well. A modified Sturgeon class that had 100 feet added to her fwd of the sail area. This might be of some fun having a couple of models of the speacial projects subs that the Navy had.

Duane
Navy2000
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:27 pm

Sounds like you have a plan.
I mistakenly thought it was the plastic model kit.
To quote Wayne, "Build it!!".

Scott T
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:44 pm

Do it with pictures on the build thread!!
I love pictures.
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Navy2000 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:01 am

I will show it on the build board once I get it going. It will most likely be later this year before I get started on the hull.

Duane
Navy2000
SubCommittee Member

Postby Feet Wet » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:28 am

Duane,
I may be off base completely, but I believe that the shape of the flank arrays on the Carter are of a different shape or profile than those on the Seawolf and possibly the Connecticutt as well. www.navsource.org has excellent pics of the Carter coming out of her building, the arrays are shown fairly well and appear to be different from those represented in various plans, of Seawolf and Connecticutt, that I've seen, as well as drawings. I seem to recall that the Wolf sustained significant damage to her arrays during her trials and that alot of work was required to make it right. I also seem to recall that it was too late in the building process to change the Conneticutt, but that the JC was able to benefit from a design change. This was all back water info, nothing officially stated, other than the repairs to the Wolf, but it seemed to jibe with the photos.
Good luck with your build, I am anxious to see how she responds.
Cheers
Jonathan
Feet Wet
SubCommittee Member

Postby Navy2000 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:46 pm

Hi Johnathan

From what I have noticed is that the arrays seemed to be faired in more than the earlier two. That is not a problem, I beleave that it is that way of the Seawolf model that Scale Shipyard puts out.

Thanks
Duane
Navy2000
SubCommittee Member

Return to General