Obviously I've been away from this thread a long time and am way overdue to post. Seaview
did indeed have a successful run in San Francisco last fall, and those interested in pics and/or details can catch up via the SubCommittee Report's December, 2012 issue. Videos of same have also been posted on YouTube; below's the link to just one of the seven or so you'll find I put up there:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8TFvpZiKuY
Meanwhile, a number of tweaks, fixes and assorted adjustments are now required, post-run, to get Seaview
fully back in fighting trim. All will eventually be covered here, but for now, just one of those required projects is to improve my method for transporting her in the car. My thrown-together padding system surrounding the boat while she slid around in her styrofoam stand just wasn't cutting it, I found, during the long trip to SanFran from L.A., and something had to be done about this. Cut to a couple of weekends ago, when I was inspired by the sight of the wonderfully robust PVC pipe rig Will Oudmayer had engineered for road-tripping with his big, heavy boats (observed during a visit to his magical garage workshop to discuss eventual further work on my 66" Disney Nautilus
—another story for another time). Here's a shot of Will's nice travel cradle, sent to me to help with the design and build of my own customized version for Seaview:
For whatever reason, today I decided to forgo planned work on my Harder
/Gato wolfpack build in order to tackle this satisfying, simple project instead. (It's ALL gotta be done sometime; order of tasks doesn't always matter yet inspiration surely does!) Here's a shot of the raw materials needed for starting the cradle, including a box of useless, long-forgotten old sprinkler parts found by accident in the garage last week when rummaging around for something else, plus a pile of the balance of loose required parts acquired yesterday at the local big box home improvement store. Her Royal Highness, of course, can be seen lounging in all her glory in the chair in the background.
Now the build begins...
And the build progresses to completion, all in a single afternoon and evening:
And here's the boat all snug as a bug in a rug.:
Closeups, fore and aft: Note how I've deliberately flanked Seaview
's delicate searchlight cage with twin foam rollers at the front of the cradle. Really happy with how that turned out.
All that's required to finish the project is to permanently glue the joints not intended to be flexible; oh, and the foam half-rollers need to be glued down as well. Couldn't do any of that today because that special PVC glue is far too nasty to use inside the house. Hope to complete things next weekend, then I'm back on my Harder
Thanks for reading!
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.