Banner Ad 1

Radio system

Place for general submarine conversation

Re: Radio system

Postby crazygary » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:27 pm

Hi, Matt!!

As a new member, I may be a bit "out-of-line" here, but, I applaud you, as SC President, for putting it all on the line and expressing that which must be said! The term "let bygones be bygones" clearly applies here, and all of the "major players" should recognize that as a sign of a new beginning. I'm pretty sure as to whom the original "problem" may have been attached to, and that's a darn shame!!

A while back, I had mentioned something about my desire to build my own subdriver! In my way of thinking, at that time, I was referring to any type of system which would drive a model submarine. One of the members on the RCGroups.com forum, which I originally posted to, politely enlightened me that I should refrain from using that particular term "in vain", even though I meant it as a generic term! Apparently the term is copyrighted??? Really??

Therefore, the "entity" in question has a snowballs chance in hell of ever getting any of my business! Pompous is as pompous does!!!

Hope we can all "get it back together" for the sake of the hobby!!

If, as a new guy, there is anything I can do to return the SC to it's former "brotherhood, I'm more than willing to comply.

Peace to all!
Gary
crazygary
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:32 pm

Gary,
Do not get caught up in judging. I have had personal experiences with Mike, he may come across gruff, but he also helped me sending me The caution that was given to you on another forum was BS. Mike would not sue you because of that - your question was innocent and not attempting to steal a brand-name. That comment was from this whole fall-out situation. Mike is a business man, he created a product and gave it a name. Would he protect that name if another company tried to use it? Yes- of course, so would you if you had a marketable item and created a brand name. So does Apple, Disney, McDonalds, etc. So the person that advised you os that was stirring the pot.

Matt, I am with you on this and apologize for the scab being peeled back. You have been showing your heart privately and now publicly in a mighty way. A way that will return SC a level that is better than ever before and in a time were we need to unite more than ever before. I believe you do want change for the better. Regardless of what outside our organization does or doesn't do, What is the next step for SC?
I know the hurt is real, valid, and deep. I do not want to invalidate all that have lived through it. Like Gary said, he was unaware of the past and was seeking advice and, Gary I am sorry for the hijacking of your thread and having you get caught up in this. I am so sorry, please forgive me. To any that I have upset over bringing this up, I also ask for forgiveness - I have fallen in love with this hobby and cannot explain what deep satisfaction I get out of building, assembling, sharing, and learning more. It hits so many different levels. I reacted to an email out of anger - I regret that - for better or worse, it is now out in the open again. Matt, I will say this again, your response was the response of a true leader and if anything good has come out of it, you making a stand revealed to all members what a great man you are. It takes a man to own up even if it is not his issue, or was out of his control and to recognize his getting caught up. I would hope that the entire SC board would embrace this opportunity to make humble themselves and seek reconciliation. To turn the other cheek so to speak.
Thank you Matt!
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:29 pm

I think you already have your answer, don't you Tom? I promised to try and we did. Now it is time to move on. I consider the matter closed.

Best,

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:57 pm

What a minute, what answer did I get? That SC is going to change? Has anything been addressed about the message Jeff sent to me? Is that kind of stuff still going to continue? am I able to share about my radio here on SC? I have changed this post because Mike is going to remove anything negative said against Matt and others.
I do not know how it can be closed yet .......My point is with SC not others although my heart, like yours is to see a joining of forces. That being said if anyone thought "poof" it is magically resolved that is not reality. But both sides have stepped up to the table. It is a process and it has begun.
So, simply put. Am I a member of a group (SC) that won't be shunned or ignored because I used another persons product? Or is leadership not in agreement with your direction?
Matt, I do not know the politics that you are treading right now, so please forgive my persistence.
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Tom,

We have been dealing with this very issue for years. You have only been aware of it for a brief time. The other party is/has been unwilling to do anything to move forward together as referenced in their continuous replies to you. If/when they ever decide to the contrary, the door is still open for further discussion. All of the SubCommittee Officers and EC are on board with this.

You will certainly not be shunned or ignored for using anyone's products, regardless of who or what it is. Your posting and postings in the past have referenced products and/or direct links to items for sale on a vendor's web page repeatedly. That is a violation of the forum posting rules. The action is called 'Shilling'. You will find that policy enforced on most all open, non-vendor sponsored forums such as R/C Groups, RC Universe, SubCommittee, etc. The SC forum is certainly no exception in this regard. I am sorry you have taken offense to that, and I certainly understand your position, but it has been a part of the SC posting guidelines for many, many years. I know that 'shilling' was not your intent, and I am sure you were not doing so conciously.

For clarificaiton, please refer to the forum posting guidelines under the 'Forum Rules and Guidelines'. You will find the exact verbage under 'Advertising'. I am sure you feel picked on a bit due to the nature of the situation with the vendor in mention. That simply is not the case. If you have any suggestions on how to improve the forum posting guides, we are always open to ways of improving. As a non-vendor sponsored site ,we have to remain vendor neutral.

None of this is fun, Tom. It is an unfortunate reality of the world in which we live.
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby crazygary » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:04 pm

Salmon-

Not to worry! In my estimation, you have certainly not hijacked my thread!! If anything, it has brought me responses which I found extremely usefull.

As for the "ongoing" part of the thread, I wish all parties involved the very best wishes I can muster for the participants to regain an "even keel", and return to the "days of old"!! We are, indeed, a relatively small and vibrant group of modelers who need to "keep on truckin'" for the good of the hobby!!

Thanks. again, to all who provided me with appreciated guidance with regard to my original post.

Whatever shall transpire, know that I will strive to remain a Subcommittee member in good standing for as long as you will have me!!

Gary
crazygary
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:09 pm

Matt,
You are right, I was aware of this issue for a short while and saw it was wrong, but only when I received the message did it need to go public. For the record, SC should not wait for someone else's reaction or inaction to do the right thing. You made a great stride in breaking that cycle and knew the right thing to do. That message that was sent to me was not the right thing, no matter who the product was referenced and it was not enforcing the rule because it was selective in who it is applied to. If this is trying to justify what Jeff did was O.K. then nothing has changed. Rules should never be used to fit a situation, it should be applied fairly and if that is not possible remove the rule. If the rule is enforced then there should be no links to other sites, but that is not the case because we are sharing from our experiences and guiding from what we know. As you pointed out it was not my intention to shill. The singling out a single vendor to enforce that rule is wrong and needs to change.

Again, I am so sorry about the appearance of shilling, that is not my intention. My Gato was my first sub and it came about from a trade of my old Darnell type VII. So, my first wtc was the D&E (no link included - LOL) version. And I entered the build contest on that site. Thank you for letting me know, I will be careful not to put links to anyones site, but just use the product's name (that is O.K.?). I hopefully will get a Big Dave WTC (no link included) for my Revell type VII in the near future - medical bills prevented me from moving forward on that earlier. I am working on a small piston ballast tank for an Aluminaut (Matt and I had a discussion on this), I did not post it here for no other reason than I do not like 3rd party hosting of images. The images disappear and the suggestive ads on them, I don't want my kid seeing that. Anyways I am enjoying the hobby and look forward to building a BD unit!
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:02 pm

Tom,

If you need any further clarification regarding forum rules or their implementation, please feel free to contact me privately as I am a forum administrator as well. Going forward, I am going to lock this thread so we can get back to our true passion -- submarine modeling (I'm looking forward to your BigDave cylinder build up). If any further developments occur regarding David and Mike we will share them with the membership at that time.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to General