Banner Ad 1

Radio system

Place for general submarine conversation

Radio system

Postby crazygary » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:33 pm

Would appreciate hearing from anyone regarding reccommendations for a sub radio system, without having to mortgage my house!! Hah!!

I'm looking to build a Trumpeter Kilo, and will be incorporating a RCABS into her. This will be my very first ever r/c sub, and I'm wanting to do it justice! Besides, there's just something really cool looking about the Kilo class hunters!! And, an added bonus, my pool is big enough to handle a sub of her length!

I know a minumum 4-channel system is in order, but should probably be a 75Mhz system. Well, according to the current "FCC Gods", anyway!!

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance! :)

Crazy Gary
Offlist e-mail is: crazy_gary_573@hotmail.com
crazygary
SubCommittee Member

Re: Radio system

Postby salmon » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:38 pm

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:27 pm

First choice, I would suggest looking for a Polks Hobbies Tracker 3 - fully synthesized transmitter and receiver.

Alternatively, pick up a used 75MHz radio from rcgroups.com and if it's a 72MHz radio, get it converted to 75MHz.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:40 am

I know I am going to tick some people off, please forgive me, all of whom I like, but I got a message sent to me that is, from one of our SC executives and as such takes on a different weight than if it were from a member or guest. Personal difference between members that should be taken off line. This crossed the line and came across different. Here is the message I got and the response I gave back. I think there is an elephant in the room and no one is outwardly talking about.

SC forum postings - re: subdriver forum & products
Sent: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:18 pm 
To: salmon 

Hi Tom,

I saw your recent posting responding to someone asking about radios for r/c submarines. You probably are aware that due to a situation created by others, we do not encourage the promotion of any products or communications that are related to the subdriver forum and/or products.

Please understand our concerns and try to refrain from promoting their products, etc.

-tnx,

Jeff

and here is my response....

Re: SC forum postings - re: subdriver forum & products
Sent: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:29 pm 
To: JWLaRue

Jeff,

I cannot agree with your request. Let me outline my reasons why you should not even be sending me or anyone this “notice” and why this issue needs to go away.
1. You are asking me, a paid member, to not share a product I use and think highly of. In effect shunning my opinion, knowledge, and experiences. I know many members here are also members of other forums. What is wrong with sub-driver forum? The issue you have is one with a former member. My issue is wanting to help others out more than being concerned about some altercation from the past. We need to get over this.
2. You are not truly giving member/guest an accurate picture of the products out there. Does Polk still make a 75Mhz radio? If so where can I get it? I am offering a tangible radio, that is made and currently available (and cheaper). What does the product have to do with the “other” you speak of? Others have had differences with vendors promoted here, did we stop them? (rhetorical - no answer needed)
3. This request you made, is counter to what I believe the purpose of SC is all about, sharing information to help someone get/stay involved in our hobby.
4. The “situation” you are referring to happened several years ago. It was an issue between SC members (not others) and has been concluded. Like the end result or not, it was resolved. Carrying on like this is detrimental to our small hobby. If we need to bring up all the facts, hash through the he said, she said and make this an issue, and put it to a vote from the members then let us do that (that would be the last thing I would want to do - it is distracting to our focus and very divisive). But secretly sending me a message like this is wrong. It is a form of bullying that is not appropriate or becoming.

I have some questions. Who is the “we” you are referring to? I would like to address them as well. You are the Editor for SC, Is this an official statement from SC?
Sin loves darkness, this needs to be brought in the light. I think there needs to be some major forgiveness from SC and “others”. It needs to start here and now. This “past situation” needs to go away and we need to unite rather than divide. Matt made that clear as one of his goals and why I voted for him.

I am sorry for rambling on, I am very upset about this message. And will post it. (we will see if the post remains)
If we need to dialogue this out more, i would welcome it in an open forum. But cannot agree to being censored.
Peace,
Tom

Am I missing something here?
Peace,
Tom

Crude I fat fingered my answer and fixed it here in bold
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby crazygary » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:55 pm

Salmon-

I, for one, very much appreciate the information you have made available to me with regard for radio equipment I mentioned in my original post. Sorry for the apparent "red flag" that it drew! Being a new guy here, I have no preconceived ideas as to what may have transpired in the past, but the radio itself is of interest to me. Thanks, again!
Hopefully, the "issue" at hand can be remedied in a positive manner by all those concerned!

Also, Jeff, many thanks for the info regarding the Polk unit. I have seen them available in 72Mhz, as the 75Mhz units are not in stock, so, what is involved with having a radio converted from 72 to 75Mhz, and how would I go about making that happen!! Thanks, in advance, for your valued input!

Peace, out!!
gary
crazygary
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:06 pm

Gary,

I believe that Polks will convert any 72MHz radio to 75MHz for you. It appears to require a firmware change that they do themselves....and I have not heard of them charging for this.....

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby crazygary » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Back again!!

I have just "found", lurking in the deep, dark cravasses of my hobby room, a Futaba 4YF skysport radio. Though it states that it's intended for aircraft, it is 75Mhz. Is there any reason I can't use it for a sub?? It's a 4-channel radio, but being relatively new to r/c, have no idea as to whether or not it can be used to control a sub.

Thanks for any input!

Gary
crazygary
SubCommittee Member

Postby crazygary » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:50 pm

Hiya, Jeff!!

Thanks for the Polk info! Will certainly keep that in mind!!

Have a good one!

Gary
crazygary
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:50 pm

Gary,

That will work quite nicely!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby bharris » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:57 pm

Gary,
FYI, Polks closed recently & John Gil no longer works there, site is still up but no radios :(
That will be a used or NIB purchase on 75MHZ, some folks are hoarding so there are a few out there, good versatile radio if you can find one.
Bob.
Bob Harris SCM# 1974
" No matter where you go there you are"
bharris
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:11 pm

Bob,

Not good news. When did they close?

Any idea if John can still provide any support for the radios?

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:13 pm

I knew this day would come. It had too. This issue has drug on far too long. Too many years of lobbing grenades back and forth over the wall. It has created a great deal of damage to everyone involved and it has to stop here and now.

When I first read Tom’s open reply to Jeff’s PM, I winced. The last thing I was ready for was the pulling the scabs off of old wounds, especially this one. But, there it was in big bold letters.
While I never support public airing of a personal & private message, I do think Tom has done us all a favor here.

When I ran for President last year, one of my missions was to bring the ‘family’ back together. This issue has created problems for all and little positive for any.
Tom’s PM was very ironic in a way. He shares with us how much he deplores censorship. The original issue was, at its very heart, rooted in censorship and suppression of product critiques on the SC forum. That matters little now. Both parties bear responsibility for how this issue was handled. Both parties bear responsibility for this situation continuing. Now both parties need to work together to end this once and for all. I am sure we would all like a ‘Do over’.

I am, personally, going to throw myself on the sword here to address this from a personal standpoint. Then I will address this as the President of the SubCommittee.

From a personal standpoint: When the original blowup occurred I was not involved in any way. However, I was quickly drawn into the fray behind the scenes, and sometimes very openly in public. On many occasions I allowed my hurt feelings and bitterness to influence my judgment and I took it out on several people whom I thought were trying to stir things up and make the situation worse. I lost a few friends over this situation, and I want to personally apologize to them for my part in this. John Slater, Chuck(Hermill), and a few others I owe you this for my part in furthering this conflict, hurt feelings, and bitterness. We didn’t always see eye to eye on this and I let it get the best of me. I am sure I could have handled it better and avoided losing your friendship. Mr. Caswell and I have exchanged some ‘not so flattering’ comments towards each other on the public forums. For my part, Mike, I apologize to you. That was not very professional of me, nor was it reflective of me, personally, by participating in such a manner with you. I let my feelings get the better of me.

I, greatly, miss my relationship with Dave Merriman. We were very good friends for 20 years until this blowup occurred. We shared a lot of ideas and good times together. I learned a great deal from Dave, and still do watching from afar. On many occasions I could have sent a modeler to Dave for help or to obtain product, but chose not to do so because of my hardened feelings toward the entire situation. Dave, old friend, I am sorry about this and I hope someday we can talk and shake hands as we did for so many years.

As President of the SubCommittee I will take this approach. It may cost me my presidency, but I am going to address this situation and hopefully put it to bed for good.

The SubCommittee, as a group, is once again a growing and thriving group. We are healthy financially, and the magazine gets better with each and every issue. I am very happy with the direction that we are going. With that said, however, there is a hole in our organization. Our family is not all together. We need to be. The rift must be healed and the bridges rebuilt, friendships restored and renewed. I am asking that we let the past fade away. I am asking that we put was had occurred in the past to bed for good. I am asking that we work together for the betterment and growth of the hobby. I am asking that we bury the hatchet and move forward together with one mission, and that is to have fun with our hobby and enjoy all of the distinctly unique individuals in this hobby for who and what they are. I am asking that we put the bitterness and anger away and work together, again, in friendship. I am asking for all involved to forgive the past and come together. Come home.

What say you?

Matthew D. Thor
SubCommittee President
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby crazygary » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:09 pm

Thanks a bunch to everyone who gave me input regarding a radio system!!
You guys are the best!!

Thanks, Jeff, for the "green light" ragarding the 4YF!! Had the "right stuff" all the time and never knew it!! Guess I better straighten out the storage situation in my hobby room!! Hey!! Might could find some pertinent info about
Emilia Earhearts (Sp?) disappearance!! Hah!! That, or Michael Jacksons "other" glove!!! LOL

As a new guy, I sincerely wish all of you involved with the "adverse situation at hand", positive thoughts and best wishes, as old friendships are something to treasure! Lord knows they don't come around as often as we might wish for!!

Gary
crazygary
SubCommittee Member

Postby Giovanni » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:21 pm

Matt,
Well said !
Our community is so small, compared to the rest of the radio control modelers.
We need to bring together the brightest minds in the bubblehead community and aggressively promote the hobby, not alienate it. Let us all not take the forum chit-chat so seriously but take the designing and building of our models seriously. Everyone can get along if we approach the hobby in the manner of brotherhood. We are too rare of a breed not to approach it this way.
We Americans have become a society of a split nation. We dont even befreind our own neighbors anymore. We need more kindness, friendliness and comprimise to make this forum help us all enjoy our hobby. We have 2 political parties that have never been so hatefull to each other. Do each of us need to emulate this ? I think we can set an example of how America can behave above average on this forum.
Matt, you are by far the best good-will ambassador to the submarine hobby.
You are a prince of a fellow and if anyone can bring civility back to the forum, it is you.
You have my support and vote, anytime.
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Alexander Engel 1/48th scale Gato
Graupner MC-19 radio converted to 75MHZ

"Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real." — Jules Verne
Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:17 pm

Giovanni said it better than I. Matt you have my support as well. That was a response of a true president and someone that cares. Thank you.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to General