Banner Ad 1

Dumas Akula

R/C Submarine modelers

Re: Dumas Akula

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:20 pm

A good vendor to keep in mind is Mike's Subworks:

http://www.mikessubworks.com

Not just for your question around APCs, but for all things r/c sub related....

Mike carries the SubTech APC - a unit that a lot of us have and trust.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ahab79 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:00 pm

Wow. Funny. I didn't go to his site much when I was deciding on what to build. Now that I'm ready to work on my WTC....I think I'm going to build most stuff using his stuff.

I do have a question. Yes, another question. Can I put the forward and read dive planes on the same channel but with two servos? I knwo you can use a mixer.
Well I know, I miss more than hit
With a face that was launched to sink.
-Flogging Molly-
Ahab79

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Ahab79 wrote:I do have a question. Yes, another question. Can I put the forward and read dive planes on the same channel but with two servos? I knwo you can use a mixer.

You can...but it not recommended, especially if using a pitch controller.

Most everyone (assuming that the boat has bow/sail and stern planes) use the bow/sail planes to control depth and use the stern planes to control pitch.

If you are concerned about not having enough channels, you can always run the servo for the stern planes + APC with just power (no signal) from the receiver. (use a 'y' cable and remove the white wire)

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ahab79 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Now that is a great idea. Awesome. If I need the extra channel I will definatly do that. I'm so happy with my retractable bow planes that I've decided to build working periscopes. And Ihave a great idea. medical syringe filled with water. Attached to tubbing. Up to second medical syringe wich raises and lowers the periscopes as the plunger on "resevoir" is pulled and pushed. I still need to play with the idea. But I think I can save a lot of space this way. I just have to see if my servo's are strong enough to do the job.

And I'm going to upload some pics next tuesday. Give u an idea of my progression. I love this hobby. Challenging and rewarding.
-Flogging Molly-
Ahab79

Postby salmon » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:59 pm

Ahab79 wrote:I love this hobby. Challenging and rewarding.

Yes, yes it is.
Looks like you are having a great time! keep up the great work!
Peace,
Tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ahab79 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:49 pm

AH!!!!!! help again please. Was going to my local guy to buy my battery that and charger. Got my ESC and Motor from Hobby King. But my local guy wanted 200 bucks just for the battery charger!!!!! Says it charges the battery in 10 min. i DON' WANT TO SPEND THAT MUCH ON A G.D. charger! The battery I chose had 7.2 volts. or a 8.4. So I WENT BACK TO HOBBY KING WEBSITE....and It all looks greek to me!!!! nothing for volts...urgh... any suggestions?????
-Flogging Molly-
Ahab79

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:13 pm

I would think that something along the lines of this one would be fine:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17508__Just_Another_Charger_80W_6A_2_6S_Balance_Charger_w_PSU.html

...or from Tower Hobbies something like this:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTCJ8&P=ML

It has an AC/DC adapter so you can just plug it in to use (vs. connecting to a car battery) and it handles multiple types of batteries. From your description of the voltages for your batteries (7.2v and 8.4v) I'm guessing that you have either NiCads or NiMH batteries. The charger will also do LiPos if you eventually go that route.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ahab79 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:50 am

O.k. I get it. But what's going on with the Batteries. I go to hobby store. I see batteries. 6.0 volts. 7.2 volts. 8.4 volts. I get it. Incraments of 1.2. I go on to hobby king. I don't see volts. What am I missing?
-Flogging Molly-
Ahab79

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:33 pm

Not sure what you're looking at, but I would guess that you are seeing the nomenclature for LiPo batteries which is given in the number of cells (1S, 2S, 3S, etc.) and MAh. Each LiPo cell is 3.7-volts.....so you need to multiply accordingly to get the actual battery pack voltage. E.g.: a 2S LiPo battery pack is 7.4-volts.

The 6.0, 7.2, and 8.4 are the voltages for the standard r/c "car packs" using NiCads or NiMH cells.

-hope this helps,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ahab79 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:54 pm

Awesome thank you so much. My local guy is awesome. But he's the only business in a town of 150 000 and the store is his hobby. He owns a few other businesses. Not to sure if he's the teaching type.
-Flogging Molly-
Ahab79

Postby Sub culture » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:46 pm

A 10 minute charge time sounds very fast- only a very select range of batteries will take that kind of charge rate. £200 for a charger is a lot of money. My most expenisve charger cost about $80, and does everything but make the tea. For a simple plug and play charger, a few dollars is all it takes to get a unit that will happily charge your packs everytime.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 2S_3S.html

My Dad finds the menu driven battery chargers a fiddle to operate, so he uses three of these to charge up his lipo packs. I wired them up for him so they are connected to a surplus 12 volts 5A PSU. You can't get a more straightforward system.

Generally lithium batteries should be charged at 1 C (that's one times the capacity). So for instance if you have a 3.0A lipo pack, charging should take about about three and a half hours. Theoretically it should take three hours, but there is some inefficiency in the charging process, so you have to put in a bit more juice than what you take out.

Some lipos can be charged at about 5C, therefore you should be able to charge the pack in about 15 minutes. However these packs are more expensive, and fast charging can sometimes shorten the cycle life of the pack.

Other battery technologies like NiMH can be even slower to charge. Again this can depend on the type of NiMh you choose. Most don't like being fast charged, and you usually charge then at 1/10th C. Therefore charging these means an overnight charge.

As you can see there is a lot to take in. Crossing over from another sector of the hobby, e.g. cars, boats, electric aircraft etc. can help enormously, as much of the technology with batteries motors, chargers etc. is the same. When you come in completely cold, it's a steep learning curve.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ahab79 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:54 pm

O.k. I'm nervous. About to make a large purchase from sub driver.com. I found that site to have the majority of the stuff I need. Propellars. Shaft seals. pumps. Batteries you name it. APC too.
So. Like always. I have a few questions. I think I'm going to go with the pressurized ballast system. Pump water in. And let it compress the air. The RCABS seems great. I just can't seem to find a site that sells rubber bladders that accepts paypal. Remember. I have the cash. Just not a credit card. (ex wife with mental illness. I got the kid and the debt. New Girlfriend makes more than I do so I'm safe. ahahah)

ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bellow are two links to some of the purchases I"m gonna make. I think I'm good with both of them. I'm just worried the water pump isn't going to be strong enough. All I need now is a place to find a solenoid valve. OR HEY! CAN i JUST RIG A CLOSE OFF VALVE WITH A SERVO?

http://www.sub-driver.com/nano-gear-pump.html

http://www.sub-driver.com/electronics/l ... arger.html

Also. Going to load some pictures tonight. If my 4 year old goes to bed early!!!!!
-Flogging Molly-
Ahab79

Postby Rogue Sub » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:57 pm

I have a few bladders for sell check my garage sale thread.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby Sub culture » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:02 am

Ahab79 wrote:All I need now is a place to find a solenoid valve. OR HEY! CAN i JUST RIG A CLOSE OFF VALVE WITH A SERVO?

Yes you can rig a pinch valve with a servo. You can make one up with some silicone tubing, very inexpensive and straightforward, and works well.

The water pump you've linked to looks like a geared model. These are capable of pretty high pressures- in excess of 40psi. Two systems are popular. One is where you pump water into a bag, and the air compresses inside the wtc. The bag is usually located inside a smaller vented cylinder- this constrains its proportions and volume, and stops it chafing on other internal fittings. That system works very well, and you can trim the boat very accurately- second only to a servo controlled piston tank system in fact. The other system does away with the bag, and you pump into a fixed and sealed ballast tank. As the water is pumped in, air is compressed above the waterline. Generally the pumps tend to stall at about 40-50psi, which is enough to fill about two thirds of a tank.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ahab79 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:18 pm

Unfortunatly they are out of stock and not sure when they will get more pumps. This Ballast system is driving me nuts! lol. Ah...what you gonna do? lol. I'll keep looking for a sturdy mini pump.
-Flogging Molly-
Ahab79

PreviousNext

Return to R/C Modeler