Banner Ad 1

On Line Subcommittee Back Issues

Place for general submarine conversation

On Line Subcommittee Back Issues

Postby Jure George » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:28 pm

Hello

I was wondering are ALL the Subcommittee Reports now available online to download and read through instead of a hard copy? To confirm Issue #1 to the Current issue? Or from what issue # ?

Thanks I was Curious.

George
Geroge Tonkovic
Jure George

Re: On Line Subcommittee Back Issues

Postby Tom Dougherty » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:36 pm

Curious George,
This was the latest post on the subject that I am aware of:
http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=10896

So, under consideration, but not available as of yet.
SC Officers- any additional update on this possibility?
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:16 pm

We are in the process of uploading them to MagCloud for digital or print copy purchase. Like everything in a volunteer organization it takes time. Each very large pdf file has to be uploaded and converted to their format, etc. Some issues will need to be modified to fit the format as well. So check back periodically or follow us on MagCloud to be updated when new issues are available. If you have a specific issue you are after, send me a PM and I can see about getting it to the head of the line.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tom Dougherty » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:46 pm

So I did go to MagCloud and checked out the issues. The one I checked said it would cost $20 to print a single issue...

Are you people mad??? $20!!! The costs of originally printing those articles are already sunk from the higher dues rate we collected when the magazine was printed on paper.
If we want ot encourage people to get interested, we should not be charging anywhere near $20 to download a single electronic issue of the SCR.
Tom Dougherty
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby Jure George » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:38 pm

Hello Again

After reading some replies, maybe I did not express what I was thinking about clearly. I would like to know if, to a full member, there is a spot here that one could go, see a list of ALL the Subcommittee Issues on file, storage, whatever the term. Pick one, download it to the home computer or burn it to CD or Print it out ourselves ? I don`t understand what the last posting for $20.00 for some "thing" to print out an issues is all about. Can someone explain this to me.

George
Geroge Tonkovic
Jure George

Postby Tom Dougherty » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:01 pm

The short answer to your question is: No. There is no such electronic archive at present.

The MagCloud contains the last 4-5 issues (since the SCR went digital) only at present. Paul says they are working towards having all of the issues eventually digitized. At that point, the answer to your question then becomes a qualified Yes.
BUT
The current MagCloud setup ONLY has the print on demand option at present. The individual, recent issues that are currently there on MagCloud cost $20 a piece to print on demand (only), which at least I believe is a ridiculous price.
To put it simply, if you decided that you would like to have printed, oh say, issues 1-80, then you are looking at $20 each or $1600 total at the current price per issue on MagCloud.
Tom Dougherty
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:48 pm

Okay...let's see if we can get everyone on the same page.....

The intention is to make all back issues available to active (current) members for no cost as a download from the SubCommittee web site. Those folks who prefer getting a printed and bound issue can go to MagCloud, whether they are members or not.

Are we at the point were members can do the no-cost download? No. But we're getting closer. Paul has the basic implementation for the new web site almost ready to go. Once we get it up and running, I think the highest priority then becomes working the photo archive capability and then followed by the back issues.

-Jeff (Managing Editor, SCR)
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:26 pm

Guys,

Please hang tight and be patient with us on these issues. We are getting closer to the point of electronic download of all of the SCR issues as Jeff points out above. However, a large percentage of the issues are not in a format that makes it convenient or very workable to do so. Paul is chipping away at fixing that.

It costs $20.00 to have magcloud print a nice quality SCR for you. That large sum does NOT translate into money that goes to the SC. That is the cost of printing an issue out for you. Now you see why we could no longer afford to provide the SCR in printed format. The electronic download, for the few issues available, is MUCH less expensive.

Is this the best solution? The answer is no! This is a temporary solution for now and a means for us to test drive various means for us to deliver the back issues. Jeff correctly points out the end goal. We have many steps to get there. We are just getting started. Please be patient with us as we get all of these changes implemented.

Best,

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby Jure George » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:42 am

Hello Again

So if I understand this now, I can`t even download a current Subcommittee issue to read it. I have to pay $20.00 for the printer to print it and send it to me. Or can I see current issues on line through S.C, if so, what prevents me from burning that issue to a CD to keep for future reference OR take to my local office supply store and have them print it out for me and I put it in a binder??

George
Geroge Tonkovic
Jure George

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:11 am

As I stated, the MagCloud has issues that anyone can access....whether you are a member or not.

Current members have access via the members-only part of this forum to the download links for issues of the SCR starting with the September 2011 issue and up to the current issue.

If anyone is a current member and not able to access the download links in the child forum titled "the SubCommittee Report", please let us know so that we can modify your account to allow access. If you forum username shows up in orange (for the 2012 membership year), then you have access.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:15 pm

So what would be best for George is to Join Subcommittee at $15.00 and then he will be able to download the PDF files of the last four editions
of the Subcommittee Report and expect the last quarter edition also when it comes out.

Scott T
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:27 pm

Yes, sir! And hopefully we'll see the start of the uploading of back issues before the end of this membership year.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tom Dougherty » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:43 pm

The intention is to make all back issues available to active (current) members for no cost as a download from the SubCommittee web site.

Excellent! That is a great incentive for people to join.
Tom Dougherty
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:05 pm

Just a couple of comments:

1) If anyone wants a particular SCR article, issue, or even the ENTIRE pantheon of back issues right now—because they just have to have something in particular RIGHT NOW and can't wait for the currently underway but understandably lengthy process of making back issues easily downloadable—they can always buy the CD set of back issues (they've been available for some years now) at a modest per-issue total price.

2) As I explained in my article about this concern back in SCR issue #88 (March of this year), a $20 printing/binding/shipping total price to have an SCR back issue quickly and easily sent to you in beautiful complete printed form is actually a bargain. MagCloud's laser color reproduction and—at least in my experience—service is excellent. Were you to take a recent color SCR issue's .pdf file and print and assemble it yourself at home, it would easily cost you much more than this in printer toner plus the time to achieve it (your time is money-valuable too). Or, to have it done at a service bureau, even if you provide the assembly labor, would still cost you something like 49¢ to 99¢ per side for laser color copies. Even at a minimum 64 pages per issue (and we've been going well over that lately), this would mean a realistic per issue printing cost of something like $31 to $63—so $20 sounds a heckuva lot better than that to me.

Still, I understand and agree with Tom D's concern. Eventually downloadable FREE back issues—any/all of 'em—for members, is the ultimate goal...and well worth the wait. What an amazingly incredible value that will make one's $15 annual membership investment! (It's just the printing of SCR back issues which must inexorably set you back some bucks, if that's how you like to archive your old issues, as I do.)

JeffP
Last edited by JefftyToo on Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tom Dougherty » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:34 pm

I note that as of today, many of the earliest SubCommittee back issues (1-31) are now available for download by members. See the post in the Members Only section, The SubCommittee Report entitiled SubCommittee Report Back Issue Library. Bravo Zulu to those that worked to get these issues posted.

Okay Jure George, You can't see or access that section unless you are a member. TIME TO JOIN!!!
Tom Dougherty
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to General