Banner Ad 1

U-boat type 7 plan wanted

R/C Submarine modelers

U-boat type 7 plan wanted

Postby Diederick44 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:49 pm

ahoy out there and to all thats reading this message , i am new here and all the way from S.A not south america but from South africa , can anybody help me to build a r.c submarine ? ? I have no clue about them and just know they can sink and rise and implode , does anybody have a U-boat type 7 plan or any U-boat plan maybe ? ? I really want to build a r.c sub very badly so any help would really be appreciated :D
Diederick44

Re: U-boat type 7 plan wanted

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:33 pm

What kind of modelling/scratchbuilding experience do you have? From experience I can tell you that building an RC-sub can be a very daunting task!
280 meters.... and she's still in one piece!
-Jurgen Prochnow, Das Boot.

http://eisernwolf.blog.com
Captain Nemo12

Postby Diederick44 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:14 am

i have never build a sub before so i have zero experience but i am willing to learn and to take advice and to improvise in grey area's but i really want to build a sub
Diederick44

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:20 am

How much are you looking to scratch-build vs. buy? Depending on your modeling skills and level of interest, you may want to look into a kit that has all the necessary components. Alternatively, there are some ready-to-run subs on the market too.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Diederick44 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:23 pm

money wise i am pretty tight there thats why i have to try and scratchbuild the sub and to get get even a good size plastic kit would be very expensive for me , so i am left to try and build my own sub but i cant find a good plan really and i am able to take my time and to build my battle sub , i can read a blueprint and i have built a few ships so i am pushing boundaries into the unknown here and what do i need to know ? ?
Diederick44

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:32 pm

Okay....understood. In that case I would recommend buying the book titled "Vom Original zum Model: Uboottyp VII C" by Fritz Köhl. There are a series of drawings in the back that are the best available and includes cross sections. You can scan, enlarge and have them printed out in a size that you're interested in.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Diederick44 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:01 pm

if my U-boat is 1 meter long how wide should it be ? ? And what sort of pump or pumps would i need ? ?
Diederick44

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:51 pm

Well, a Type VIIC U-boat was 67.1 meters LOA and had a maximum beam of 6.2 meters. So if you want your model to be 1 meter LOA, that means that your boat would be a scale of 1:67.1. So you would need to divide the 6.2m by 67.1m.....which gives you 0.0924m or 9.24cm. (for those not metricized....that's a beam of 3.636 inches)

You're going to need a pretty small pump......

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby subkraft » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:29 pm

Diederick44

I'v got an old vac form Type 7 you can have....its 1:72 so smaller than a metre and a bit basic but would do to experiment with. You could use the p.e sets made for the revell type 7 to dress it maybe. PM a contact if its of any use to you.

Regards
“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” ~ Albert Einstein.
subkraft
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:54 am

Scratchbuilding is not always as inexpensive as some may think, especially if it involves a scale subject with a hull that is of complex shape- e.g. a Type VII. You have to obtain drawings and materials, and it all soon starts to add up.

Subkrafts offer is very generous, and will save you a lot of trouble, but do you have the ability to fit that boat out with a reliable dive system? If you think you do, then invest in a copy of this book-

http://shop.traplet.com/product.aspx?c=294

It's a technical, and a tough read, but if you can get through it, you will get a fundamental understanding of what is required to build a reliable working model submarine. It doesn't give specific 'how to's' in construction, but explains concepts like pressure hull strength, hull seals, ballast systems etc.

Do you have access to good tools and equipment? What have you built in the past- it's generally a good idea to have some previous modelling experience, perhaps you have built a model boat or two, or some model aeroplanes. All the skill sets are transferable. If you've never scratchbuilt anything, I would say you're going very advanced with a submarine.

Generally the cheapest routes are either a secondhand hull or choose a subject with a cylindrical hull shape- then the model can be built around a piece of plastic pipe e.g. PVC, ABS, polycarbonate etc.

Plastic pipe is cheap and readily available, that leaves the fore and aft end pieces to construct, which can be constructed using traditional methods, e.g. bread and butter, plank on frame etc. Or using a lost foam process.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JimDavis » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:17 pm

If you are really interested in this project, I have a MK VII/C Engal Hull. it come with props, rudder, dive planes and shafts, thats it , no motors, or controls. You could make a static sub pretty easy, but you will need the radio control equipment and if you are tight on budget, this may not be for you. I would be willing to give it to you if you pay all shipping costs, and it will be expensive the sub is 77.7 long and 7.17 wide so it will be a very large box also you would want to insure it. you will need 5 to 8 channels RC, not the new freq.s I have started it so you would have to finish. I have been building kits for 40 years and I struggled keeping the cuts straight, you will also need a lot of specilized tools, my guess is at least 2000.00 to finish and make a working model.
some thing to think about
jd
JimDavis

Postby Diederick44 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:54 pm

okay uhm guys just specify which units you are using , i am familiar with metric units a.k.a milimeters , centimeters and meters so please guys just specify the measuring units and i live in SOUTH AFRICA so currency bounces a lot and i dont know which country always uses which currency , we work in RAND thats our currency so please guys before dishing digits just clarify the currency or measuring units you guys are using or talking about
Diederick44

Postby Diederick44 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:08 pm

finances is tight and usually i work with what i have , i have quite a bit of wood and some aluminium sheets and depth isnt that important to me now , if my sub dives half a metre deep then i would be extremely happy so it doesnt have to be as mind blowing as you guys imagen , i will advance as i learn and discover but for now i would be happy with something basic , it doesnt need to have 60 torpedo chambers and cruise like 500 kilometers a second and be able to dive 500 billion million kilometers with 7000 hi-resolution cameras and all that jazz , i want to start out with something basic , its only a dream now but i am working on it and dont think i am a panzy that would give up , i will hunt down success and battle until i have victory
Diederick44

Postby Diederick44 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:24 pm

Diederick44

Postby Tom Dougherty » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:34 pm

Folks, if I may. This "discussion" is going on also by the same person on the Model Warships forum. Please see: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=110783

I am pleased to see many efforts to help by my fellow SC members as well as two very generous offers of kits. But, based on the posts here and on the other web site above, I am concerned that folks are putting in a lot of effort with answers and excellent suggestions, and most of this seems to be falling on deaf ears. Yes, we should help out a newcomer, but at some point that individual has to recognize the deep expertise and experience in this group. I for one am failing to see that. I think it is now time for Diederick44 to convince us otherwise.

Step 1. BUY THE BOOK that SubCulture suggested.
Step 2. Think seriously about taking up one of the kit offers, if you are indeed serious about this. By the way, Jim Davis meant around $2000 US dollars (16,547 RANDS) to outfit and complete the boat. His measurements are in inches, and 2.54 cm = 1 inch, so multiply by 2.54 for cms of the above.
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to R/C Modeler