Banner Ad 1

Dumas Akula

R/C Submarine modelers

Re: Dumas Akula

Postby Ahab79 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:18 pm

Well. I already ran into some trouble. I have built many models. And a handfull from scatch. But this kit had me scratching my head right away. it seems the two halfs of the hull have been nestled together like eggshells for some time. This has resulted in one being wider than the other. Since I am not using the provided equipment tray I am finding I have a lack of rigidness this hull desperatly requires. I was thinking getting some pvc or abs pipe. cutting a four inch piece in quarters. And using two pieces glued along hte buttom hull to provice the rigidness I need. What do u think?

Also. There is NO WAY. I have the tallent to send the two halfs that flat that they will match up. Just not in me. I'll endup sanding too much, then i'm in real trouble. My idea is to get them to match up as much as I can. Contsruct the sub as I need. THEN....use some stips of thin plastick for models. Glue it to one half and make a lip that can hide the spaces. YES. It will not be perfect. But....sanding with a piece of paper on a table doesnt seem to be working for me.

Ahab.
Well I know, I miss more than hit
With a face that was launched to sink.
-Flogging Molly-
Ahab79

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:04 pm

Something to consider.....

You could take a flat sheet of fiberglass, place a hull half on it and mark the perimeter/outline of the hull. Then draw a parallel line inside of the hull outline...making it as close to the outer line as practical and still have good rigidity. You may want to add one or two cross pieces if stiffness is a problem.

Cut the fiberglass along the outline and fit it to the inside upper edge of the hull. Then cut out the inside areas. Finally glue it into the hull

This will stabilize the hull and prevent the width of the hull of moving.

To attach the upper hull, glue a couple of pins along the interior at the edge and drill holes in the appropriate locations on the lower should do it.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Alexander The Great » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:00 pm

Arab,

Try using the equipment tray as a guide and clamp the lower hull to it. The lower hull should be the correct width, about 4 inches. Now make the upper hull match it using Jeff's suggeston. After that, set up a jig so that when you remove the equipment tray from the lower hull, it retains it's width and shape. Then do what you did to the upper hull.

Alas, do not sand it much. It is very thin and you do risk sanding right through it. The only sanding that should be done is prior to painting. After that, no more.

Any word about the WTC? Or are you building the hull first?

Alex
The job ain't done when you are on the couch watching football 2 hours early.
Alexander The Great

Postby Ahab79 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:28 pm

Urgh... I can't make a decission on the WTC. It's the type of thing I usually go to a friend to and use them as a sounding board. But my friends are mostly computer nerds. Not a technically minded nerd in the bunch. I'll keep you posted on the WTC.

I am planning on going a few extra steps with the Hull first. I found an amazing site from a guy who is upgrading the Dumas Akula WAAAAAAAY past what he should. It's been a tremendous help though. Check out he link below and go to his "projects."" then "Akula". Thanks for the idea's on the hull guys. I will continue to post.

http://www.rclab.dk/joomla/
-Flogging Molly-
Ahab79

Postby Ahab79 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:35 pm

Well the hull is cut out and comming together. I found AN AMAZING cheep way to steady the interior. I decided to trace out a nose piece and make ribs, not unlike a sail boat. I was about to buy a few sheets of plexy glass....when. I was at the local buck store buying a broom and garbage. And I found some cutting boards for kitchens. Made out of polystyrene (sp?). About a quarter inch thick. I bought three for a buck fifty each. I've got them all cut out and man they see to do the job amazingly.

Bought some Gorilla glue...that is not working. Before I go and by some good old fashioned epoxy. Anyone got any other prefered glues they think would be better?
-Flogging Molly-
Ahab79

Postby Ahab79 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:39 pm

wait...maybe not poly styrene...ah crap I shot out the package...
-Flogging Molly-
Ahab79

Postby wlambing » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:13 pm

NOTHING sticks to polyethylene. That's why it's impervious to chemicals, adhesives, and everyday kitchen bacteria. Oh, and cooks with sharp stuff!!

B^)
"If you ignore the problem long enough, it will go away. Even flooding stops eventually!"
wlambing
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ahab79 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:19 pm

ahahahhaahhaha...... man... i really have a lot to learn huh? The hot glue gon proably works...but I don't think its a good long term glue for a sub. ahahhaah. Jeez......
-Flogging Molly-
Ahab79

Postby Alexander The Great » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:22 pm

Ahab79,

Use a different material, probably some think styrene, or some ABS. Then solvent weld them into place.

Alex
Alexander The Great

Postby Sub culture » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:37 pm

Doesn't even need to be that thick, 1/16" styrene sheet would be up to the job, certainly wouldn't bother with anything thicker than 1/8".
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Alexander The Great » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:03 pm

Any 'news' yet?

Hope you have fixed your hull problem.

Alex
Alexander The Great

Postby Ahab79 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:43 pm

Urg. Yet. I got about 3 good idea's. But have not had time to test them out. THIS WEEKEND. I have all to myself. No son. No girlfriend. No work. Problem is no money this weekend.....so....buck store here I come for supplies again...maybe dump....

I just need som plastic...lol...

Mark
-Flogging Molly-
Ahab79

Postby Ahab79 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:45 pm

Allright a day full of trial and error. And enough profanities to make the most hardend sailer blush profusely....i have come up with an idea. I'm going to make "ribs" with some acrylic sheet. the ribs will strengthen the top and bottom of the hull. I will aslo make them able to hold the WTC in place.

I have aquired a nice thick walled Black ABS pipe. 3 inches....Before I start measurements for this bad boy. Any reason why this would be a bad idea. I understand what is better. Clear Lexan tube...yeah yeah. I don't have the cash for that. So any reasons?

Mark
Oh and as far as glue. I've been doing tests with Gorilla glue...doesn't seem to be worth the 6 bucks I payed for it. Looks like epoxy is what i'm going with.
-Flogging Molly-
Ahab79

Postby Sub culture » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:18 pm

I recommend getting some Devcon Plastic Welder, which is a modified acrylic adhesive. This stuff will stick everything you use in a model sub, trust me. It's stronger than epoxy and totally waterproof. Once you bond something together with this stuff, the material will break before the bond.

Over on our Dive-in Facebook page, one of the members there is building a Dumas Akula, and has fitted a cylinder in it, not quite finished yet, but he's very close.

Not sure if you're on the big 'F', but if you are you're welcome to drop in and have a peek.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/133360626703083/
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ahab79 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:42 am

That adhesive looks amazing. Doens't look like its available in Canada. It's frustrating. Usually a matter of instructions not being printed in french. 95% of the country speaks english.... I found some Marine "goop" but it drives flexable. I need stuff for rigidity of the subs hull. So I'm still leaning to epoxy for now. I've looked but can't seem to find much better here in the North.

As for facebook. I'M AT WORK. So it's blocked. And I'm not a smartphone user. Will check it out when I get home. 12 hour shifts. I'm a nure. On a psychiatric unit. lol. So I have a lot of time to surf the net.

Can't wait for this hull to come together.
ahab.
-Flogging Molly-
Ahab79

PreviousNext

Return to R/C Modeler