Banner Ad 1

Engel Type IX D2 Uboat Kit

R/C Submarine modelers

Engel Type IX D2 Uboat Kit

Postby P Webster » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:24 pm

Hi everyone,
This is my first post as I have just recently joined. I have only built an own design dynamic diver sub previously, moderately successful, it sunk once in about 20 outings and is now in permanent stowage. I have just ordered an Engel Type IX D2 U-boat as detailed in the heading and was wondering if anyone has had any building time on these kits and, if so, is there anything I should be aware of. I have also ordered the mini pitch controller and a magnetic switch.
I have been modelling for about 50 years in aircraft, boats and trains but very little experience in subs.
Thanks in advance for any help. :D
Peter Webster
P Webster
SubCommittee Member

Re: Engel Type IX D2 Uboat Kit

Postby subkraft » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:00 am

Hi,

.....doesn't look as though you have been exactly bowled over by the crowd rushing in to provide advice. :|
I'm answering because I've just bought one. Unstarted, second hand dating from the mid nineties so the electronics were a little dated. As a start I decided not to go with the dry hull and hatch arrangement and replace it with a wtc.
Then I got lucky and found a wtc for an Engel type 7 for sale, being parted out with components offered seperately (sub swap is great...). Bought it all as a semi complete thing. It will fit. I've now a lifetime supply of Engel piston tanks....

The hull looks to be a lot of work.....all those holes to cut. Frankly I don't think the shape is that accurate....it's too full in the stern to my eye, the conning tower I'll replace with another I have to hand from another project. It needs a good deck....I intend to produce a laser cut item for this. If there's any interest then some extras could be run off from the same file.

I'd be very interested in any comments you may have with this one....

Regards

Ian
“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” ~ Albert Einstein.
subkraft
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:25 am

I, too, would love to see some photos of the kit when you recieve it!

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby Giovanni » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:25 pm

Hello Ian,
I have also decided to go with the WTC tube for my Engel Gato.
I will be custom making the WTC with custom piston ballast tanks.
Can anyone tell me if I can offset the piston ballast tank rods to shorten the polycarbonate length that will be connected to the two facing ballast tanks. This would place the attachment of each threaded rod slightly above the center of each piston.
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Alexander Engel 1/48th scale Gato
Graupner MC-19 radio converted to 75MHZ

"Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real." — Jules Verne
Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:39 pm

Yes you can do that. Be mindful of the overall volume of the cylinder though, the tanks get a lot more thirsty in operation when they have to compress up against pressures over a few PSI.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Giovanni » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:09 pm

Thank you.
I'm planning to have another WTC attached to the stern ballast tank that will house the BL motors, ESC and battery pack. There will also be a WTC attached to the bow ballast tank. There will be chase ways to the WTCs on each end of the ballast tanks to equalize the pressures created by the ballast tanks routed from the midsection WTC.
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Alexander Engel 1/48th scale Gato
Graupner MC-19 radio converted to 75MHZ

"Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real." — Jules Verne
Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Postby P Webster » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:05 am

Hi subkraft,
I see that you also hail from the great land of Oz. I'm from Melbourne and sail with the Broadmeadows group, where do you hail from.
P Webster
SubCommittee Member

Postby subkraft » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:28 am

Hello P. Webster,

I'm in Launceston, Tasmania. Believe it or not we even had a small sub group here....it seems to have disintegrated with people moving away etc. So I sail solo these days....
“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” ~ Albert Einstein.
subkraft
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler