Banner Ad 1

Scale Shipyard

Place for general submarine conversation

Scale Shipyard

Postby tompinnell » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Hi, Wondering if any one can help give me some information or pictures on the 1:32 TYPE IX-C U-BOAT U-505 from scale shipyard? looking into the kit just want to know what the detail level is like and what you get in the kit, pictures would be great if anyone has some. Thanks for any help Tom
tompinnell
SubCommittee Member

Re: Scale Shipyard

Postby salmon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:49 pm

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:04 pm

Assuming(!) that their 1/32nd scale hull is done the same way as the 1/48th scale hull (which I have), then the level of detail is:
    - hull shape is correct
    - main casing flood hole locations cast into hull
    - no plate or rivet details
    - no main or conning tower deck

Tom's advice to check out their web site is a good one for getting the current kit contents. Lee does make changes and upgrades over time. The kit I have is pretty old and came with:
    - hull
    - conning tower
    - urethane(?) cast dive appendages
    - single sheet plan

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Giovanni » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:16 pm

I have the 1/48th scale Type IX 505, too, by ScaleShipYard.
The 1/32nd scale 505 does not have as much detail and I think that the mold is not in as good of shape as the 1/48th scale mold.
Maybe Lee could come forward, if he is a member on the forum?
BTW. I am going to laminate two sheets of oxygen-free copper sheet on each side of a carbon fiber sheet and then cnc router cut out all of the deck details. I have a carbon fiber supplier that has a 12 ton laminater press that said that he can make the sheets for me. This is the same method for making high-tech PCB boards for computers. This makes a very strong, stable and solderable deck surface and under deckside for fastening fittings and hardware. :idea:
I will most likely make a few at a time.
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Alexander Engel 1/48th scale Gato
Graupner MC-19 radio converted to 75MHZ

"Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real." — Jules Verne
Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:22 am

Ron Perrott had a SS 1/32 Type IX for sale, along with an Engel Type IX. If you're interested in one or either pm me your email address and I'll put you in touch. Both kits are located in the UK though.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby tompinnell » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:13 pm

Hi, Yeah looked at the website just wanted to see what the model looked like and what the detail on the hull was, might be getting a 1:32 type XXI anyway got offered it last night so prob will go for that as it more local. Shall be a good challenge at 8ft long will see when I get it Cheers Tom
tompinnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:29 pm

Mike Dory built a stunning model of the 1/32nd Type XXI many years ago. It was a prototype hull from 32nd Parallel. It was absolutely gorgeous and a BEAST to handle.

Where did you get a hold of a hull?
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby tompinnell » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:03 pm

In the UK. I have been told that it might be a 32nd parallel kit but not to sure and that its quite rare picking it up on Saturday can't wait would like to see some pics of Mike Dory's sub see what he did with it, currently building an OTW S class like the big subs. Tom
tompinnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby tsenecal » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:40 pm

the link is to a gallery page that has the following 3 hulls from front to back:

the white hull is a 1:32 scale bare unpainted Scale Shipyard type IX with drain holes drilled out/added, currently being built by Ted Schulte

if you "right click" on the image and "open link in new window" (or similar for different browsers) you will see the raw original photo, which is a giant 8mp 4000x2000 image.

the clarity in the high res photo is good enough that you can get a pretty good idea of what the bare hull (both outside and inside) look like as it would come from SS. no real detail molded in.

I have no references from which to tell how accurate the hull is.

http://thecoloradocrew.org/index.php?op ... &Itemid=53
tsenecal
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:18 pm

When I followed the link it did not take me to the area I think you meant it to.
Under Gallery there are two sections Members Pics and Regattas. From there were would I go?
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby tsenecal » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:35 pm

salmon,

don't know what your issue is, but the link works for me on multiple different browsers on multiple different OS's

but for those who's browsers don't take them to a specific image:

2010 regatta, page 3, last photo of first column.
tsenecal
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:17 pm

Tim,

Do you have any images or comments regarding the Colorado Crew regatta this past June. Would love to get some coverage into the SCR we're putting together.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:34 am

tsenecal wrote:salmon,

don't know what your issue is, but the link works for me on multiple different browsers on multiple different OS's

but for those who's browsers don't take them to a specific image:

2010 regatta, page 3, last photo of first column.

What my issue is? Too many to list! LOL Thank you for the direction..... I will find it. Hopefully before winter settles in CO, I will visit one of the regattas there.
Peace,
Tom
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby lucky13dave » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:04 pm

Giovanni wrote:BTW. I am going to laminate two sheets of oxygen-free copper sheet on each side of a carbon fiber sheet and then cnc router cut out all of the deck details. I have a carbon fiber supplier that has a 12 ton laminater press that said that he can make the sheets for me. This is the same method for making high-tech PCB boards for computers. This makes a very strong, stable and solderable deck surface and under deckside for fastening fittings and hardware. :idea:
I will most likely make a few at a time.

a few sheets of laminate? Or a few decks? If the laminate sheets, that is something I would be very interested in.
lucky13dave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Giovanni » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:14 pm

I will be selling a few extra completely routered decks or just the laminated sheets.
These decks will be in three sections.
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Alexander Engel 1/48th scale Gato
Graupner MC-19 radio converted to 75MHZ

"Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real." — Jules Verne
Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to General