Banner Ad 1

New Member Introduction

Place for general submarine conversation

New Member Introduction

Postby lucky13dave » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:26 pm

Ahoy, all; and Yarrgh!

For about a year now I've been obsessing over submarines and the Type VIIc in particular. I got it in my head that I'd like to build a large scale, dry hull r/c model with full static dive capability. I've been searching the web, buying books, downloading specs and plans, and have been reading this site for a while. Figured It was about time to join.

First off, thank you for all the great info, photos, tips and techniques. This forum is a gold mine.

Second, I am aware that the boat I described above is an ambitious project to say the least. I don't really expect to make it my first project. But I do enjoy suffering from delusions of grandeur:)

So a Little about me, I studied engineering management with a minor in mechanical engineering many years ago. I enjoy my life as a machinist (mostly CNC.) I love to make things and solve problems. I'm soon to be married to a lovely young woman who just graduated from art school and focused in sculpture, and is working in the metal shop of a fine arts foundry (for fun she casts iron:) )

I look forward to being a member of this community, and hope that I'll be able to contribute and return the favor that you all have already done me!

Cheers-David
lucky13dave
SubCommittee Member

Re: New Member Introduction

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi David,

Welcome to the hobby!

Can you tell us roughly where you are located? I'm thinking that your CNC skills can be very useful in this hobby.....both for yourself as well as something that you may wish to use to 'trade' with others who may be looking for help with their projects.

What scale and kind of Type VII are you thinking of building? There are a number of folks here that really like this particular class of U-boat!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby lucky13dave » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:11 pm

I went and updated my user CP so my location-Boston- shows, so it's there. I do hope to use some of the CNC skills to help my project and others. But one of the hardest parts of my job is that the owner doesn't always like to see his machines used for personal projects. That's not to say it can't/doesn't/won't happen. But my boss (answers to the owner) got a wicked chewing out after approving me to work on an involved personal project. Mainly because the owner didn't find out about it till after it was done. And if any member needs help with a CNC or machining questions in general I'd be glad to help where I can:)

-Dave
Last edited by lucky13dave on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lucky13dave
SubCommittee Member

Postby lucky13dave » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:16 pm

As to the scale/kind of type VII I'm thinking U-96...figure that'll tell you where the inspiration for my obsession comes from. And scale--1/20

Figure that's a boat about 10.5 ft long, 9" beam at the pressure hull, 15" beam at the saddle tanks. Rough estimates of a displacement of 196 lbs surfaced.

Guess my first step is to meet up with the New England Chapter, spend some time with them, and build something simpler/smaller:)

I also paid dues for a membership to the subcommittee and am awaiting activation of that membership.

-Dave
lucky13dave
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:06 pm

Dave,

That'll be one big Type VII!!

Definitely get in touch with the SubRon4 boys....they'll be good help.

-Jeff

p.s. I just received the latest membership update and have activated your forum account to that of SC 2012 member. Enjoy!
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby lucky13dave » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:18 pm

Huzzah! Her Sides are made of IRON!
lucky13dave
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:20 pm

Welcome aboard, Dave! You certainly have the right skills/background for your project. :D
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:04 am

Welcome aboard, Dave!

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tony G. » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:39 am

Welcome aboard Dave
I am a sub ron 4 member from RI. If you would like a list of our members and our meeting place you can contact me at my e mail address sailamg@aol.com
Tony G.
SCM#2183

For profit, Americans will sell the rope to hang themselves.
Tony G.
SubCommittee Member

Postby Snipah » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:46 pm

Looking forward to following that build, you lucky bugger...

Regards

Brett
NZ
What you cant see or hear will kill you..... :-)
Snipah
SubCommittee Member

Postby lucky13dave » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:32 am

Thanks all!

Tony, E-mail sent, sorry for the delay.

Brett, I look forward to the build too, I hope I can get it out of my planning stage:)
lucky13dave
SubCommittee Member

Return to General