Banner Ad 1

Large number of Missing Photos on this Site

Place for general submarine conversation

Re: Large number of Missing Photos on this Site

Postby Tommydeen » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:14 am

I also remember when the SC website was redone alot of the old regatta photos went..poof gone along with alot of the links in the vendors sections
Tommydeen
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:44 pm

The old archived Regatta photos have been put up on the Facebook page.
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:03 pm

and if anyone has more they would like to have posted - give me a holler! Tmsmalley@yah00.com
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tony G. » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:49 am

So as a subcommittee member you have to go to face book to see your club photos. What if you dont want to join face book? As a member you have the right to see and use those photos, don"t you? Just asking.
SCM#2183

For profit, Americans will sell the rope to hang themselves.
Tony G.
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tom Dougherty » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:39 pm

Here's an example of a site that is very inexpensive and we could use this as a photo repository
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/best-photo-sharing/

If we are going to be an "all digital" organization, then it is important to take steps to preserve our photos and photo history. Without the financial drag of a printed SCR, we should invest a small amount of money to insure that we don't lose SCR and other digital resources in the future.
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:43 am

Tony,
Uh.....I didn't see that rite in the bylaws :) , but the problem is that the SC server is not equiped to handle uploads of photos. They would all have to be posted to a photo hosting site like Photobucket and then the links embedded on many posts on the SC website. Right now, that is just not a practical solution. We are working on a site overhaul. It will take time, but we want to be able to archive all of this data on the SC website.

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tony G. » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:48 am

Matt uh.... I didn't know we were here to make it hard on the members to get there club photos.
We have been overhauling the site for the past 11 years. Maybe one of these times we will do it right. :D :D oh yes it isn't in the bylaw and thanks so much for saying that an trying to make me look like the bad guy starting something. Just making a statement and a concern.
Oh by the way have a great W/E, heading to the pond to play in a while.
SCM#2183

For profit, Americans will sell the rope to hang themselves.
Tony G.
SubCommittee Member

Postby Feet Wet » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:45 am

I don't do Facebook, don't want to do it, and don't ever foresee myself doing it. It is sad to see that one has to join another organization to see the SC pics that should be available on this site.
oh well, I can live without them
Jonathan
Feet Wet
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:17 am

I've started looking at the photo site that atom provided a link for. At this point, it appears that it might be a useful tool to replace the photo galleries that are currently on the main SC web site. However(!) I am still trying to determine if it can be used to fix the original problem that started this thread - namely the loss of photos linked to forum postings.

....and lastly, before I head out for our monthly sub run: yes, the web site has been in "upgrade" mode for a long time....not quite 11 years, but far too long. If someone would care to volunteer to help get it done.......?

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tom Dougherty » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:50 am

So as a subcommittee member you have to go to face book to see your club photos. What if you dont want to join face book? As a member you have the right to see and use those photos, don"t you?

I don't do Facebook, don't want to do it, and don't ever foresee myself doing it. It is sad to see that one has to join another organization to see the SC pics that should be available on this site.

Wait, guys! To post pictures, the SubCommittee needs a Facebook account, but to view photos you do not need to be a Facebook member.

I am most definitely NOT a Facebook member, pretty much share your views about Facebook, and yet we set up a Facebook page for Project Azorian, and you can view that without joining Facebook (here, take a look. Click the left photo, and you will see all 81 photos in that album. http://www.facebook.com/pages/AZORIAN-The-Raising-of-the-K-129/143340242348370?sk=photos) The SC page on Facebook is set up in a similar fashion. The big problem is the Facebook link to the SubCommittee photos is NOT obvious!! Go to the SC Homepage, Menu on the left, go below Resouces and click the blue F (Facebook) icon. The photos section is at the lower center of the SubCommittee Facebook page. You can then access the SC photos without joining the dreaded Facebook.

A separate & in my view critical issue is electronic preservation of our files. We need to find a reasonable storage site that will accept the photos and other files, not delete them over time, and be easy enough to readily transfer material to the site. The good news is that these sort of storage sites have become inexpensive and automatically back up the data.
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:31 pm

The posting of archived photos to Facebook was used simply as a stop gap to get the pics out there and to, also, attract new members.

The site has NOT been in upgrade mode for anywhere close to 11 yrs. Far too long with nothing being done, yes.

As you can see we are working on it and it will get fixed. We have a large laundry list of improvements to be made and we are all working on them.

Paul has made great progress in getting a lot of the old issues out there for purchases, which was another big 'want' from the membership.

However, the photo problem would get fixed a lot faster if someone would kindly step up and volunteer to help. We have a lot to do to get this place ship shape, as it where. I am not asking one person to do it all. A small group of guys working a couple of hours a month could get this knocked out pretty quickly. Can I count on you for a couple of hours a month, Tony? Anyone else?

Many thanks to Tim Smalley who has kindly kept these photos for us. Without Tim, we wouldn't have the great amount of historical photos to return to the site.

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:10 pm

Thread cleaned up and locked per request of president.

The issue of lost photos is being worked. Thanks to Tom for bringing this problem to light.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to General